+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Destroy All Unsafe Ladders

Post Likes
    Originally posted by oil lp man
    6 foot long rebar as a chisel?
    Now thats just plain dumb.

Just grip it and rip it. No hammer, chisel weighed 30 lbs. It's in the bottom of the river now.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes

Re: We had lots of crappy ladders

Originally posted by spotts
    I wonder what James BR549 wouls say about a tech in booties?

I'm not James but I can say it makes you look like a smurf.
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

Post Likes
    Originally posted by The Penguin
    All this talk about bad ladders makes me think how lucky I was to fall 10 ft flat on my back and walk away with only sore back muscles for a day or two
    Same thing happened to me, on cement, luckily I fell on my head.
    I did take an ambulance ride but walked out of the ER, went to work the next day......but I am a tough guy doncha know.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

Post Likes

Re: Re: We had lots of crappy ladders

Originally posted by bb
    Originally posted by spotts
    I wonder what James BR549 wouls say about a tech in booties?

I'm not James but I can say it makes you look like a smurf.

Screw booties....I wear nice slip-on Roper shoe-boots.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes

Dice.......

Yeah, lucky for you that you didn't fall on anything really important.

Actually, when I think of going head first through the windshield of the old man's Caddy at 17 and walking away I guess it took me nearly another 40 years to realize how fragile we really are.

About five years ago I fell getting down from the top of an 8 ft walk-in box while attempting to use a 6 ft stepladder. That stupid move caused some of the biggest and nastiest set of bruises, aches and pains I had ever experienced, but I shook it off and limped around for a couple of weeks. I didn't really let that other me at the time all that much.....I just went on doing what I always did.

After falling off the ladder two months ago and breaking my back I have had a lot more opportunity to re-visit the issues of working safe. Now that I'm back working nearly full time, I still have some full-time reminders of my mishap.

The sooner we all realize how easily we can get seriously injured by not watching out for your own safety the better.

Post Likes
    I've got no excuse for not following ladder safety. I used to be the projectionist for the ladder safety films years ago.

But one day, in a big hurry, I did something really dumb. Working on an overhead heater about 12' off the ground, all I had was an extension ladder, so I hurriedly leaned the ladder against the heater.

When I got to the top, the unit turned sideways as the gas line elbow turned and there I was with nothing supporting the ladder!!!

TIMBER!!!

I decided to take my chances by jumping rather than going down with the ladder. Miraculously, I landed on my feet, but badly sprained my ankles, and am probably an inch shorter now

Post Likes

Wink

That same 30 seconds with a sawzall will turn an unsafe ladder into its proper form when cut from top to bottom through the rungs

Post Likes

Attic pull down

50% I see have nuts loose, missing, screws falling out. Make a habit of tighting them up and cary extra , to repair on customer's time.
    It surprises me how many HVAC/R trucks I see with cheeesy HO quality ladders on them. We have 4', 6', 8' & 24'+ 300 IA ladders on each truck. Had a lady bitch out one of the guys cause he didn't have a 10'r on his truck and had to call in for one. He lucked out and saw a friend who worked next door and borrowed his and she bitched about that too! (I wish I knew how to scan the crazy bicth and her husband's letter in here for you all to see. 3 pages of fiction and embellishment-we've been by three times to confront them and they aren't there or in meetings.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in