+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back pain

Post Likes

What do you guys do for back pain?

Special mattress, wear a back brace, pills,
    stretching or exercising, chiropractor?

I have had a slew of compressor change outs lately.
    We always get a bunch at the beginning of summer
    my back is tight but Im no where near being out of
    commission

Post Likes
    I just bought a new mattress and it made my backache worse! I think the pillow top cushion gets crushed and won't support my back in the middle of the night.

Try sleeping in a different bed, or maybe a different girl friend once in a while.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    I suggest that you first make an appointment with an Orthopedic Doctor for and examination to determine if you have any special problems. Look for a DO who specializes in therapy and not the knife.

The Doc I went to after my back injury is an Orthopedist specializing in sports and occupational injuries. He has his own therapy clinic run by a Doctor of Physical Therapy who set up a custom rehab program for me which was not only stretches and exercises, but some the best chiropractic-type manipulations I've ever had.

Get specific with these professionals about what kind of work you do and they will be better able to help point out what you might be doing (or not doing) to create your pain in the first place.

Post Likes
    i went to neuro-surgeon and he sent me to anestesologist for steroid shots in back....that helped for a couple of months...i take alot of anti-inflamatory and muscle relaxers....when i show up with back-brace,knee-pads,etc. on it kind of makes the homeowner leary...never knew about orthopedic doctor before,i have had all kinds of advice about back problem i have.....i am just living with mine for now,although it is getting worse....

Post Likes

Talking

try the floor at night and a pillow between your legs at the knee caps if you sleep on your side...and a chin up bar in a door way and just hang from that to stretch your spine out,and take the weight of it.DO NOT skip any stairs on the way down or jumping off of the ladder even one step(that force goes right down your spine).if your on a job hang off a sprinkler pipe or some duct work for a minute or two,or if you up on a roof the I beam the unit is on or below a cat walk grab it and get the weight off your waist area.

[Edited by maxster on 05-31-2004 at 10:05 AM]

Post Likes
    Ms. Icemeister has told me that I am so naive about doctors.

I retract my advice to go to the Orthopedist first. Go to a good Physical Therapist and if you have any specific need to see a "DO" they will steer you toward a therapy oriented Doc and not a cutter.

Post Likes
    Here is what I do I sleep on my side and raise the pillows to make my back in a line I put small pillow in between my legs. I also use magnesium product called {calm}that I got from my chiropractor. It works really good ,makes you sleep well too.

http://www.naturalcalm.net
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Work in Dallas-Fort Worth & surrounding areas.
    Post Likes
    Also may want to look into a good seat for work vehicle with adjustible lumbar support.

Post Likes
    Exercise and drink water only.

Post Likes
    Stop being the hero, and carry a helper to do that lifting!

Post Likes

Red face

Only way to ease the backpain is to hire out. Your back and knees will forever thank you!!! Do it now before its too late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    I was waking up with back pain a few years ago. I was also drinking 6 cokes a day and ice tea. I stopped with the cokes and tea, coffee and started parking the farthest parking space away when I parked and used the push mower instead of the rider. Back pain went away.

Post Likes
    How did you get off the coffee? Is there a patch or something?

Post Likes
    My back is totally shot, bad discs, arthritis, lower back muscles, etc.

I use one of those Swedish contour pillows for my head, and one of those special contour pillows that goes between your knees when you sleep. That one is the best for lower back pain from strain.

Get a good quality lower back brace. Not one of those elcheapos. It really does help and is also a good preventive measure. Expect to spend about $50 on a good one. Who gives a crap what the customers think!!

When I have something extra strenuous to do, like installing a new a/c, I wear the back brace and then strap a big wide weightlifting belt over the brace.

Strong stomach muscles will take lots of stress off the back. I started about 3 1/2 years ago lifting weights. I do it every night. I have a home made device where I sit on a weight lifting bench and do situps pulling 100 pounds of weight.

Posture is *very* important for back problems too. Always make it a habit to think about keeping your back straight when you're lifting things.

Be careful of the anti-inflammatory prescription drugs. They can destroy your liver and kidneys if taken daily.
    I've been on Celebrex for several years, but only take it on really bad days.

Post Likes
    Lots of people with bad backs I see.
    Chiropractor works for me but I have not needed it except about every 2 months now.
    During the winter with long hours and heavy lifting while exhausted I went every week sometimes every 2 weeks.
    Just like doctors some good some bad. You got to make sure you get a good one.
    Man, I don't think we make enough money.
    Twenty more years of this crap and I'll be in a wheelchair.

Post Likes

Hmm

Thanks to all the colorful replies guys, although
    I think James has probably the most common sense
    plan to deal with it and that is exercise and water
    which is what Id been thinkin it was all along.
    We are a nation of pill junkies. We got pills for
    everything from Attention deficit dissorder,pretty
    toe nails,hard ons for old folks, diets, and the
    pills to help with brain power.MADNESS

Pharmaceuticals what a mess

Post Likes

Thumbs up

nice to here im not the only one with a bad back, herniated discs L4 5 S1 . ihope exercise works?

Post Likes
    I quit the work that was causing repeated injuries, and have cut back considerably on the work I do in general.

One of the disadvantages of blue collar work is the high risk of injury, such as back injuries that may limit your ability to continue to work in the trade. My solution to that was to avoid buying into the consumer culture, and saving and investing a high percentage of my income (50% of after tax income or thereabouts.)

That left me financially independent at age 49 in 1999, and I now it is my business aim to do only the work I am HAPPY to do.

Seattle Pioneer

Post Likes
    Jeez, Seattle. It must be nice! If I ran only the calls that I was happy working on, I'd be so happy people would think there was something wrong with me

This job has totally destroyed my body. I feel like that little oriental looking guy who used to play in the scary movies, Peter Lorie... "My body can't take much more of thees PUNISHMENT!!"

Post Likes

Joker 1

If you never do another thing about your back pain, I insist you do this one thing.

Get a copy of a book called Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno.

Since reading this book over a year ago I have had zero and I mean zero back problems.

I very rarely get any neck pain.

Allow me to summarize. I used to get up every morning with a backache, a neckache, and a headache.

I read the book and have not waken up with a backache ever since. And it is still the same mattress.

I did what he said to do in his book and the results were a near miracle.

Good Luck.
    I pray not for an easy life but that I be a strong person.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in