Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I got called again today because their temp wasnt down where it outa be!
    I was just out there yesterday and the manager told me he'd have his own men wash the ice off that coil in the FF line up!

When I walked by the last time, I noticed htree guys with 2 gallon buckets of water standing near the end cap. All just a lookin' inside to see where all that water was disapearing to .....

This is what happens when you hire people whose only work experience has been in food service.

"Would you like fries with that?" ... or ... "Would you like to Super-Size that combo?"

I wish there was some other way of getting rid of that ice without having to empty the case, run two hundred feet of hot water hose and then pray you dont have a clogged drain develope in the process.

But alas, this store chain simply wont have it any other way.
    I'm looking at the mess that's made every time hoses run across the sales floor.
    I'm looking at the liability involved when someone gets hurt. No matter whose fault it is!

If some little ol lady falls and breaks her hip, in many cases ... this is like a death sentance. Recovery is very very very slow and not only very painful ... but it can change their whole lives!
    And for what ??? WHY??? All because some danged case froze up and management decided to have it cleaned during normal business hours!

What are some options to clearing ice during the normal business day?
    What about steam? What about bringing in a rig which recycled the hot water and recovered it from going down the drain?
    Anybody ever dream up some plans for something to clear these frozen coils without running hose half way across the store?

In the end, we do what needs to be done because there simply is no better way. Restaurants I work have floor
    drains and as part of their daily or shift cleaning,
    they hose the floors anyway so I just let it rip.
    I warn the manager first and ask him to take the
    appropriate safety measures before I make a huge mess.

I choose to let the FF guys mop floors instead.

Originally posted by R12rules
    Well, we leave it up to the manager because he knows the liabilities involved. 95% of the time they say to shut it off overnight or come back when they close. On the other 5% of the time, I have been known to intentionally make a mess to get them to reconsider their decision.

I'm with jerry close the liquid line hand valve, jump out the fan delay and let the fans and normal defrost clear it. This will work rather quickly with a empty case.

The real issue here is did you correct the problem causing the icing. If it is a heat element you have more work to do. If it is a hot gas case (gotta love that Hot/Kool gas) just fix the problem, and cycle defrost a couple of times and your done.

[Edited by frozensolid on 05-31-2004 at 09:13 AM]
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

I bring in my 8' ladder and tie the hose off to it....if I have to span an aisle...one thing that works really well also is to get cardboard.... lay it over your hose then take a mat and lay that down ....duct tape the edges and little old ladies can easily get over it....well sometimes...How are they deicing a FF coil w/o shutting off the system anyway???

Originally posted by jerrycoolsaz
    Originally posted by R12rules
    Well, we leave it up to the manager because he knows the liabilities involved. 95% of the time they say to shut it off overnight or come back when they close. On the other 5% of the time, I have been known to intentionally make a mess to get them to reconsider their decision.
    I do try to talk them into NOT having me do it during normal hours.

As far as intentionally making a mess ...well, in another thread I did mention they named a store after me; "Lake Temple". hehehe

Pull the case product. Period. End of discussion. I don't care.

The run the heaters and fans.

Go check on all the other stuff.

Originally posted by frozensolid
    I'm with jerry close the liquid line hand valve, jump out the fan delay and let the fans and normal defrost clear it. This will work rather quickly with a empty case.

[Edited by frozensolid on 05-31-2004 at 09:13 AM]
    I was there on one store waay too long on Saturday. I kept this one case in electric defrost for several cycles and it didnt melt all the ice. I checked my amp draw and I was doin' 14 amps.
    According to my service manager, this is right for this case.

He finally said leave it cause you'll never get it all off using that method. It needs to be hosed, he told me.

Ok ... live and learn.
    I'm new to these markets, at least in this depth I am.
    Gee I thought I knew some stuff ... but until this last month plus .... "SO many questions!"...

There are no hand valves in this case.

I believe if these cases all had hand valves, a large portion of my troubles would simple melt away ...easily.

I always loved hot gas for melting ice. However, I have heard all the stories about broken lines in difficult places.
    And "THAT NOISE!!!" But I still like hot gas defrost. I guess if you can get used to freight trains and the sound of the motor room, hot gas isnt so big an issue after all.
    Providing lines arent breaking apart.

Thanks for the responces folks.

This is sound advice.

I apreciate it.

So you're serious, you really have to deice cases???

A chain is paying your company their rate to spray hot water in an empty freezer????

That's simply amazing.

Originally posted by condenseddave

A chain is paying your company their rate to spray hot water in an empty freezer????

That's simply amazing.
    Dave.....get this in the last month I have probably 20 hrs. or more deicing....I guess the chain we service is a lot different from the norm.....I can deice blindfolded now...I just pull the bottom 2 shelves of product unless it has been down for awhile......I am lucky however and have hose bibs relatively close to any case I am working on....

You seriously don't have to do this???????

You got to jump the fans too.. But it sometimes still don't get it and you must use water.

I can't recall if I have ever been around when the store employees have deiced. That is really the way it should be anyway, but anywhere I worked we did it. The stuff I do now, I do not deice nothing. If the fans and heaters can't get it, the employees of that site do it. It saves me a lot of time and gets me to get to other problems.

Originally posted by fitter33
    Originally posted by condenseddave

That's simply amazing.
    Dave.....get this in the last month I have probably 20 hrs. or more deicing....I guess the chain we service is a lot different from the norm.....I can deice blindfolded now...I just pull the bottom 2 shelves of product unless it has been down for awhile......I am lucky however and have hose bibs relatively close to any case I am working on....

You seriously don't have to do this???????
    Absolutely not.

I can't imagine not having some minimum wage earner doing that, rather than me billing time!

It's just bad practice, and I would NOT get paid on the invoice from most of my customers for deicing. I open the drain, make sure the defrost heat is operating, and leave.

Dave, if you think it's ludicrus to deice FF cases, wait till you hear this!

I drove to a store today because they heard fan motor noises!
    That's right .... fan blades hitting water!

On Labor Day no less!!!

So I get out there ...NOT in a very good mood to boot... and ya hear this terrible clatter as you enter the store.

Three inches of standing water in the bottom of them cases!!!

And they're all like; "Duh ... what do we do now Fred?"

Next call was much worse though. I'm about to leave this job and I get this other call. WAAAAAAAYYYY up north of our normal territory.

I'm already outside of our "normal area". But this next one was WAAAAAAYYY up there.
    Like, 150 miles from where I was at that time!

Meat cases down. I get ahold of the guy in that dept and he says, yeh, all the units on the rack are runnin and the temp is fifty in the cases.

So I drive on up there and he's gone, part of the cases are already pulled and the temp is eighty!!!
    There are FLIES buzzing around the packaged mets!!!

Rednecks are eyeing the stuff like they're about to buy som eof it and take it home! I tell em to look at the flies and to feel the warmth of the air around them ... they set the meat back down and back away ... slowly ... and then leave!

Sheesh.

Why the heck didnt this guy just pull the product and save it?
    Why did he even bother caling out overtime on Labor Day for a lost case???

I got more windshield time today than I got time on any of the calls to fielded.
    I sear .... these people just Do NOT know what constitutes an emergancy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast