Load calc cost?

Thread: Load calc cost?

Hello all,

If I've learned anything from this forum, it's the importance of getting a load calc done when sizing a new furnace. Well, I tried to do just that when I asked my local HVAC contractor for a couple furnace estimates along with a load calc for my 1300 sq ft home.

He was very reluctant to do it but I insisted. He then told me it would take about 5 hrs to do and cost $400 Can! Something about a very complicated procedure where they blow air all throughout the house to find all the leaks, etc.

What do you other gentlemen do when you are asked for a load calc and how much do you charge?

Run, don't walk to another contractor. This is B.S. if he wants you to swallow this you don't want him to do your job. Just my opinion and I've been doing this for over 30 yrs.

Red face nothing!

an accurate load calc is necessary on every job, I always assume the last guy didn't do one. You can do your own for $39. at http://www.hvaccomputer.com/ what he is talking about is a blower door test and just because I have never needed one, some contractors seem to think they're necessary. I can't argue, I really dont know what it is. I would have my doubts about a contractor who doesn't even do a basic heat gain/heat loss on your home though. Jack

Talking oh yea...

I didn't answer your whole question. With my HVAC-Calc program I can do a complete load calc on your home in under 30 min. including measuring your home. I don't charge nothin' for this service. It pays for itself in customer trust.

quote "Just because I don't know what it is... Doesn't mean I'm lying" Bob & Doug Macenzie.

Wow Wee

30 mins. You could have the record for measuring a house and data entry. Is this a window/door less house by chance?
    Do you bring a laptop with you?
    Could / Would you share how you go about this?
    Breeze

cynic Guest
    we dont try to do a blower door test when they want a load calc Tom has to eat to

usually wont do them till job is accepted need to do one around here for the permit in most towns anyway if customer insists on seeing numbers its 200 $ but do take that off the job if they take bid eliminates alot of the people just shopping or looking to check other contractors sizes

yea breeze

I use a laptop. I also only do an outside walls and ceiling (whole house) load calc. not a room by room for a replacement. I use HVAC-Calc. jack

Thanks . . .

for your timely responses. I thought it was a little steep.

The whole story . . .
    The guy was 45 mins late for our appt, then he calls me on his cell to tell me his $400/5-hrs story and asks if I still want him to come by. I said he could forget the heat calc but still come by because I still wanted a furnace estimate. He said he was still on the other side of town and could be here in half-hour! (75 mins late!) I said forget the whole thing.

How's that for customer service?

Re: yea breeze

Originally posted by spotts
    I use a laptop. I also only do an outside walls and ceiling (whole house) load calc. not a room by room for a replacement. I use HVAC-Calc. jack
    Yo spotts,

That is a different animal there you are doing. But atleast you are doing it.
    I figured you needed to do room by room as in a total load but then I guess you are not talking of duct work just replacement / retro fit market. And if you are just bidding a job you may not need to know everything else till you win the bid.
    Breeze

Wink yup

Thats exactly it, after I get the job and feel I need more details, I'll go get um! But I am able to give the customer his personal heat loss/gain with an exact estimate on the first trip. Then I ask for the sale! Jack