Confused Siemens MBC and Insight2.8

Hi people,

we have a Siemens MBC running under Insight front-end software on Win98 that continually falls over when there is a flood of Siemens panel alarms. The PC locks and needs a reboot. We have tried different PCs...new ones old ones...the same thing keeps happening and we are baffled as to why.

The local Siemens branch are unwilling to help...as far as they are concerned the place needs an upgrade to Apogee to solve any issues.

Any pointers that may help us would be much appreciated.

You didn’t give very much info so I probably have more questions than answers for you but I’ll give it a shot. Since you’ve tried a different PC I will skip PC hardware stuff. By your description it sounds like it’s a communication error that is locking up your system.

The PC & Panel-

Do you have alarms “stuck” on/off that you can’t get rid of in the alarm window?

Do you have correct version (It’s ok to have a higher version) of the .NET framework loaded on the workstation? Check your Insight documentation. If not download it from Microsoft.

Are your workstation drivers up to date?

Are all the needed Siemens systems services running on the WS (I can’t remember them off the top of my head but the important ones have Siemens in their names. If you need a list let me know and I will go look at my server and give you a list).

What firmware version is the field panel running on and is the panel configured to the correct baud rate? You can see the firmware (if it hasn’t been updated the original firmware is on a sticker on the field panel) via Insight- System Tree- Field Panel <Right Click> “Properties” (I think the baud rate is also listed there). If you can’t use the System Tree for some reason you’ll have to go straight to the panel to find out. The easiest way is via telnet from your desk (if you don’t know how let me know I’ll give you directions) and the default Username & Password are both “HIGH”.

Does the panel and frontend normally get along fine when you don’t have multiple alarms?

The Network-

Do you have more than one panel on your network?

Ping the panel via command prompt in Windows. Is the millisecond response time reasonable, any errors?

What is the network infrastructure schema? Does your BLN run from the panel via P2 (twisted shielded pair) than transitions to a cable that connects to your work station, or does the P2 BLN run to an AEM (small beige box that converts P2 protocol to Ethernet) and connects to your work station via Ethernet?

If you need to trouble shoot the AEM (the AEM wouldn’t be my first guess as to what is causing the problem) let me know and I’ll put some directions up for you.

If everything else checks out ok you need to get your hands on a network analyzer and check the network behind the AEM (the P2 side) for noise. There are a lot of reasons that contribute to noise but it is really easy to fix with a good analyzer, correct wiring practices, and some noise isolators (like 5 buck from Siemens).

As you know your panel, front end, and PC OS are out dated so if you’re broadcasting a lot of junk on the network your PC is going to choke on it. Give the PC time to process the data (even if it take a day) to see what happens. Just letting the PC sit there will not affect the panels operation since the panel stores its database and PPCL locally (unless the panel cold starts while the front end is down!)

Also be sure that Insight’s log is running. This is different from the system activity log, it runs in the background and the end user would not normally see it. The log is why I said to just let the machine run because if you poke the computer in the eye and make it shutdown Insight will most likely not have a chance to write to the log prior to the shutdown. The log is important because it gives information for diagnosing problems.

This should give you a good place to jump off from. Good luck.

One more question; Do you login to the workstation locally or do you remote into it from a diffrent machine?

Quote Originally Posted by ottoreload View Post
    Do you have correct version (It’s ok to have a higher version) of the .NET framework loaded on the workstation? Check your Insight documentation. If not download it from Microsoft.
    Ping the panel via command prompt in Windows. Is the millisecond response time reasonable, any errors?
    That's a lot of good information (emphasis on A LOT), but not all of it is pertinent to this particular situation.

Siemens MBC and Insight2.8 ... front-end software on Win98

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    Hi people,

we have a Siemens MBC running under Insight front-end software on Win98 that continually falls over when there is a flood of Siemens panel alarms. The PC locks and needs a reboot. We have tried different PCs...new ones old ones...the same thing keeps happening and we are baffled as to why.

The local Siemens branch are unwilling to help...as far as they are concerned the place needs an upgrade to Apogee to solve any issues.
    Yep, we used to have that after a power blip. All the TEC's started reporting and the system was overloaded and would finally halt.

You need an upgrade.......
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Hmm, There is no ethernet and therefore no panel to ping...the single MBC is connected on the BLN to the PC via a trunk interface. Password is not HIGH, it is PANGEA. How on earth can anybody find a compatibility list for anything in Siemens land? There are no manuals, software or books on-site...nothing on the web.

Upgrade...Hmmm. More of the same doesn't really sound like an upgrade at all??