Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GE 10 ton

coil crud

Could also install a UV light near the coils. The light will clean the crud off quickly and prevent it ever coming back. Just leave the light on.

LOL
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

The unit in the picture probably has a SEER of about 4

Originally posted by benncool
    Yea but lower seer units last longer and don't have many gadgets to replace so they cost less in the long run.

Water Tube Condenser

Shared this before , this old Carrier R12 was running when we changed it out...

They don't make quaility coils like this any more.

This coil installed flat and the louvered condensate pan caught dripping condenstae. 40+ years old and no leaks :-)

[Edited by AllTemp on 08-01-2004 at 01:16 AM]
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Originally posted by selfemployed
    Originally posted by benncool
    Yea but lower seer units last longer and don't have many gadgets to replace so they cost less in the long run.
    Not true... if you compare a heat pump made today to one made even 20 years ago, you'll find there are no mechanical timers, coils, relays, etc. Many of these components have been replaced by simple solid-state controls, and have thus eliminated potential component failures. Air Conditioners made today are made pretty much the same as 20 years ago... motor, compressor, contactor, capacitor.

I give you that the quality of the components themselves may have changed. That compressor is a tank, and nobody makes them like that anymore.
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Old equip.

Nice pics alltemp they do last beyond their time. Had to clean and replace gaskets on a few condensers like those. gschra11- that was a joke inpart The old stuff just wouldn't quit and were built to last. Cost of repairs causes most equip. to be replaced today, even when its less than 10 yrs. old. Thats not all bad.

Those old GEs just keep on going. I worked at an apartment complex and the majority of their units were old GEs from 1972-73. and a lot of them are still going today. I didn't like the trickle circuits tho when I was just starting out in HVAC I would get the crap shocked out of me all the time.

Confused INFORMATION YOU NEED IS IN YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS.

That compressor looks like a 7 tonner.You'd be suprise to see that baby run as its name implies- for many years to come

Talking I got one too

Hi i am currentlya business owner and i have one of this unit and the compressor just went bad and i cant find one, im going to upgrade and i see there quite a few fans of this old GE's, anyone interested in buying this dinassour?

Wink

what does the air handler look like?

Re: The propane torch trick

Originally posted by gschra11
    Spine-fin is all-aluminum, and since the way they make it involves aluminum spines sticking out instead of aluminum plates, the spines can bend very easily. For this reason, you can't hit it with a jet of water because:

No, this isn't some crazy thing I dreamed up. This is what Trane said to do at one of their training sessions. It actually works very good.

Hope this helped.
    Very good post. The first time I used this method was in 1969. I was a GE dealer. Used to use the torch with what GE called "A Lazy Flame". Great to use on dog hair. That serial # is Feb. 1972. I have a lot of old res. units stll kicking with the dome top. Installed thousands of them. Love that roto-com and the 3 legged mount. Some even had a fuse on the run wire.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Update picture please,

Hey selfemployed, Can you please repost or update this thread call "Ge 10 ton"? Thank-you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast