GE 10 ton
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GE 10 ton

Nice to see equipment still running that was installed around the time I started in the business. .
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Sure kept it simple back then.
    That old G.E. compressor will probably run forever.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

You sure thats 10 tons, line set looks small, maybe 7.5?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    You sure thats 10 tons, line set looks way too small?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Unit size

Originally posted by Diceman
    You sure thats 10 tons, line set looks small, maybe 7.5?
    Looked in my data base and found out that it is a 7.5. Model 21TA090C3A / 202481731. Memory isn't what it was when I got in the business either.

That's the water tube condenser behind the compressor, right? I've worked on a ton of those systems. Had the original roto lock compressor connectors as I remember. Trane stole the idea from GE when Trane purchased them, I think.

Wish I could make a museum of old equipment and this would be one of them. Another would be the old Crysler package units that had the radial compressor suppended from one rubber top mounted bolt.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Old GE

It really was hard to stop A GE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pm service

We have the panels removed for cleaning condenser. Why is it call a water tube condenser?

I'm assuming the bunch of tubes behind the compressor are the tubes for the condenser if it is a water cooled condenser, which a lot of these old systems were.

Way back then many of the system ran off an open cooling towers. And many cities would allow water cooled condensers up to about 5 tons to be used in buildings and homes for A/C and refrigertion. These systems could be hooked into the city water and the discharge would go into the sewer. Code changes and high water bills stopped that back in the late 60's and 70's though.

I had one customer who was way ahead of his time. In his basement was a 3 ton water cooled GE like you have here. He would keep all of his shades drawn and every door and window closed so his house was cool but dark and dingy. He was an attorney and could afford air conditioning way before central air was popular.

On the other hand you said you were cleaning the condenser, so this is an air cooled condenser? If so, never mind. If this is a water cooled condenser the copper in that unit should be worth a fortune.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

That looks like classic spine-fin coil to me... Same thing AS/T uses today.

Didja use the propane torch trick to clean it all? It's the only way to clean spine-fin. I have a blast everytime I do that. Guess I'm a real geek.

[Edited by gschra11 on 07-20-2004 at 01:04 AM]
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Propane torch trick? Could you elaborate on that?

The propane torch trick

Spine-fin is all-aluminum, and since the way they make it involves aluminum spines sticking out instead of aluminum plates, the spines can bend very easily. For this reason, you can't hit it with a jet of water because:
    1. The spines will bend over and the condenser will become useless
    2. The spines don't like to release dirt, lent, cotton-wood fuzz, whatever.

Therefore, the only way to clean Spine-Fin is the propane torch trick.
    1. Turn unit ON.
    2. Take as many panels off of the unit as you can. For GEs and even most Tranes/American Standards, you have two that you can take off. (Opposite each other)
    3. Tell the homeowner that he/she is going to see smoke and not to call the fire department, everything is ok. (Actually had this happen once)
    4. Get a propane torch, light it, and put the flame on the spine-fin. Go down each row with the torch. Don't keep it on one spot, keep it moving, but don't rush through it either. You want to see the dirt glow red, smoke, burn up, etc.
    5. Do all four sides, even the ones with the panels still on. GE and even Trane and American Standard today have made their cabinates able to stand the flame without hurting the paint.
    6. When the coil looks grey, (ashy) then you have burned everything. Turn the unit OFF.
    7. Take a garden hose and gently spray the coil with a shower of water. DO NOT HIT IT WITH A STREAM!!! Everything on the coil is all ash now and will wash away very easily with gentle water.
    8. If you did it right, the coil will shine and look brand new.

...and don't worry, the head-pressures won't sky-rocket while you've go the torch on it, because you are just spot-heating the condenser.

No, this isn't some crazy thing I dreamed up. This is what Trane said to do at one of their training sessions. It actually works very good.

Hope this helped.
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Thanks

I'll give that a try. Printed to show trane dealer I use to work for. If it works I don't care if it sounds crazy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast