Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: on call

I must be a freak. I like going out at night or after hours. Try being on call 24 7. I think better and do a better job when it's a buck fitty an hour.

Being on call especially sucks when your the only tech, and your Boss doesnt seem to appreciate it. I spent the entire winter in this situation. Now, slow time, I get 20 hour checks every week. Nice...
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

Originally posted by NedFlanders
    How bad is AC on call?
    summer time in south texas and your on call might as well plan on working all weekend and way late every week night.

I got 3 calls this weekend and the other guys are on call.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Originally posted by sotexkoolbreeze
    How bad is AC on call?
    summer time in south texas and your on call might as well plan on working all weekend and way late every week night.
    Yep!!

Originally posted by sotexkoolbreeze
    How bad is AC on call?
    Is that res.AC , commercial or both?

I've known long hours too , but I'm just curious how many HO's call for overtime (weekend or nights).

I'm a tightass...I can wait a day or two for AC .

We're on call every 5th day, for one day. I like not being on for a week at a time, but 3/5 of my weekends get screwed up being on call one day. I'd rather screw up the whole weekend and make some money, so I try to trade days and load up.

This weekend turned out sucky. I was on call Sunday, right in the middle of the three day weekend. I left my family at the lake early this morning. Then I got zero calls. A wasted day, and no money. However, if I was busy, I would have complained about that too.
    Jason

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    I must be a freak. I like going out at night or after hours. Try being on call 24 7. I think better and do a better job when it's a buck fitty an hour.

I like it too. My wife don't like it though. I have been on call for the last year or more straight since our other tech is laid up with a bum neck, the other tech just isn't ready yet, and the other racked up a $300 cell bill on the on-call cell phone so he isn't allowed to have it anymore . I don't mind, I just laugh when I hear the others ***** 'cause thier check that week sucked. The other tech should be ready soon so then I'll be able to change off with him then.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

on-call means you better have good parts inventory and a wholesaler willing to open up if you don't....never could get much done on service calls afterhours....although one wholesale house is offering 24 hour access to a warehouse,never have been there yet....it stilll is 50 miles away,no matter what time it is......of course the dreaded call backs too....that's why i don't do start-ups on the last part of week....then getting people to pay the rate is another pain.....i work 5 and a half days a week and think about it 24-7 that is enough....i tend to overload if i don't back off it a little every now and then...of course i'm just residential......and people wonder why i'm not interested in commercial and refrigeration work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12