Thread: Tri-Tip

Tri-Tip

A few years back I was out in th San Francisco area for a generator class and on the last day the host served up some Tri-Tip off the grill. The meat was cut into 1/4" slices and put into sub rolls. I quess it's popular on the west coast, but almost unheard of here on the east coast. I've been able to order it from a local butcher and grilled it several times but I can't duplicate what I had before.
    Can anyone in the San fran area tell me whats the proper way to prepare and cook this piece of meat?

Did you marinade the tritip? Otherwise, it can be chewy and bland.

Here goes....

Get a big marbled tri tip, not those little ones with all the fat cut off....

Open a beer and begin to drink it...

Grab a big Zip Lock bag, put in it about 3 oz. of Worcestershire sauce, some garlic powder (maybe a half teaspoon) to taste, course ground black peeper (again to taste), a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a dash of cumin...

Open another beer.

Throw the tri tip in the bag and massage it in with your hands for about a minute (through the bag) put it in the fridge for at least a few hours after forcing as much air from the bag as you can.

Maybe two beers...

Fire off the grille (oak firewood grille is the best, but charcoal or propane works pretty good) I use Merlot wine barrel pieces...

Get it good and hot, put the tri tip on flat side first and keep it hot for about 5 minutes, flip it but move it to an unused part of the grille for another 5....

Gonna need another beer...

Lower the heat and flip it about every 5-7 minutes until the juices begin to clear up (the juices will be very red if rare) I stop cooking when the juice is light pink...

Once off the grille, let it stand for a bit to acclimate for about 10 mins. then slice against the grain, about 1/4" thick (this is important if you want to be able to sandwich it)...

Open another beer and enjoy.....Don't forget the Artichoke and mashed taters....

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Cajun rubbed and smoked with hickory at 225 until it is 150 internal, let is sit wrapped in foil in a cooler for 2 hours. Slice it up and add a homebrewed BBQ sauce topped with slaw on a big toasted bun.

Is a tritip the same thing as we call a london broil cut of beef? This is the first I heard of a tritip. But the cooking method sounds like what I do for london broil.

I slice the meat thin and serve it with eggs and homefries for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Is a tritip the same thing as we call a london broil cut of beef? This is the first I heard of a tritip. But the cooking method sounds like what I do for london broil.
    No. A London Broil is most times a flank steak and sometimes is a round steak from the top of the round. London broil isn't a cut of meat although many stores sell it as one.

Tritip comes from the sirloin part of the beef. It's fairly round and has a triangle shape more or less. A tritip will have more fat and marbling than anything called a London broil.

They are both well used muscles of the cow and so they both require similar preperation.

Around here the best tri-tip is from Bar-b-que for you. Here is how he does it, it is called Santa Ana style. The meat is rubbed and then cooked hot and fast over a mesquite fire, above the coals about 16" not on a grill!
    People line up 40-50 deep at the street fairs and home shows to eat his tri-tip. It is damn deliciuos....hey i think there is a home show this weekend,
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook