+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poor Installers

Post Likes
    3 callbacks on brand new systems in one week. One had a 240 volt condensate pump on a gas furnace, another someone forgot to put in the piston in the indoor coil, then one today 1 day old and no refrigerant
    (Poor braze joint) I think we need new installers. What a week.

Post Likes
    Who's training them installers?

Post Likes
    thats a good question, books on tape i think

Post Likes
    Sure the installers aren't going to the tavern for a liquid lunch?
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes

Lightbulb

I had the same problem, I think all techs can say they wish the installers were more professional.

Have the techs do the start ups and that will cut down on call backs...

Post Likes
    The piston should allready be in the coil unless the coil is a different size. Then you should switch it with the one on the condensor. Sounds like the work of guys that are under paid or they are just plain lazy and dont care. Did they pull a vacume? if so, how can there be a leak? You should ask them and see what they say.

Post Likes
    It is always customer pressure. Once they sign on the dotted line it starts, "when are your going to get here....when are you going to get here.....???"

I quote for 3 months and no action. First hot day they come in like "hot" cakes. So too much rushing causes call backs.

We always let the installers start the equipment. Also the installer goes on any call back in the first 30 days. generally the call back is scheduled for late in the afternoon. After 8 hours of installing. This policy works because:
    1. The callback is something stupid and it will jump right out at the guy who installed it.

2. He already has a repore with the customer.

3. At the end of the day it is the hotest time and the equipment will be under the greatest load. The installer will be on his last stop of the day and can concentrate on the problem.

On an emergency "new" heating call we pull the foreman off an install to go back on a new piece of equipment. This causes grumbling but it saves time and money.

[Edited by benncool on 05-28-2004 at 08:59 AM]

Post Likes
    I like the way think Mr. Bencool! That seems like a very good system. Probably also gets the installer think Gee I coulda been home by now if I wasn't so careless the other day.
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Post Likes
    You need to have a talk with the experienced tech that was supervising the job. If you don't have one then those call backs are your fault, not the installers.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by thehumid1
    I like the way think Mr. Bencool!
    I like the way write Mr. Humidguy!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    A install should have a lead experianced working superviser on the job. I cannot imagine putting inexperianced guys on a job with out supervision. If it's a little loose end left over on a punch list, maybe. How much experiance should a guy have to work with out supervision? I figure a year and a half to two yaers minimum.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Post Likes
    Hey MDtech it sounds like you work for my old company !! I also work in MD, who do you work for ?

Post Likes
    At our company a 40% downpayment is required before we order the system. During the process of presenting the estimate we tell the customer clearly that they are put in order from the time the downpayment is recieved. That way when Mrs. Brown, who I gave estimate too 2 months ago comes in she understands when I tell her that there are 4 installations in front of her, we'll see her next week. It is a system that has worked though you do get the occasional "get to it now, it's hot out" person.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    Work in northern aa county for supreme hvac

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in