Spirit of entrepenuer - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I guess I am different, I want to grow, and we are, the work pool as stated is the problem. I can double my business right now if I find the people, my problem is I will not sacrifice quality for production like all of my competitors do here in town. Some do pretty work, but it doesn't work worth a damn, kind of like the old saying if it don't go chrome it.

I truly think that the trade and the outlook is much different, drastically different in various parts of the country. 45, where your at, with what your doing, your just doing what any good and smart guy would do. Meet a demand. Your a good HVAC construction outfit and you have fine tuned it to the demand to make the most coin you can. In turn, South Cackalackey housing is gang busters, especially on the southern coast. It may not be that way forever, but in the here and now, for you in business, life is peechy keeno.

I am a service based guy. Always been. And ever since I was a child, that has been whats been drilled into me, all the way back to my father in business. Commercial Service is becoming wierd. I don't want to say bad. Cause it's not all bad. But it's really weird right now. The entire myriad of a commercial service based business, how we come to the market place and act and walk and talk to the way the market place is rapidly changing and how they walk and talk. It's becoming more work, for less money.

There is still money it, absolutely. I am not saying that. I am saying it has less exclusivity to it. Less lucrativeness. It doesn't shine like it use to. It's kinda becoming this retailing sort of operation it seems these days. Were not completely there yet, but it's coming. And ultimately, I just don't like what I am seeing on the Horizon.

business is business. There will always be somebody after your lunch. Be it cutting hair, selling groceries or whatever. Tomorrow will be different than yesterday. Learn, adapt and play the game. When home depot entered the market contractors were concerned. Home Depot has not affected the clever ones, we simply raised our labor rate to compensate for the material markup loss. I don't know the particulars concerning commercial service but there are some out there succeeding. What are they doing?
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Tinman,

I can't argue with the business is business deal. I think through this thread and thinking over the last few months what it is. I need a break. I am starting to get ticked off all the time and I aint enjoying life lately.

But I truly beleive that this industry in my realm of it is changing and it aint for the better.

go to the UP for a week, drink beer and four wheel and maybe fish.
    I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Talking

Originally posted by tinman
    go to the UP for a week, drink beer and four wheel and maybe fish.

I AGREE! JUST MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE WHEN THE WEEKS OVER EH!!!!

How about this? Cash out! Move away from Detroit to a smaller metropolitan area. I think really my problem is, this place just sucks anymore..

Wink

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    How about this? Cash out! Move away from Detroit to a smaller metropolitan area. I think really my problem is, this place just sucks anymore..
    DUH!!! It's Detroit!!!

Sure your biz is changing, everyone's is. But we are more at fault than anyone for that change. We put up with the national accounts that have relegated us to sheet metal work, We accept the growing supply house prices without a grunt, we continue to allow the larger accounts to set our prices. Revenues have not increased proportionally with costs in 15 years. Techs can easily make more money and bennies with the larger companies, but their margin is no more than your's.

The most recent trend with us, is the larger accounts with the "lets make a deal" mentality. They wont pay you for 60 days, then throw the invoice back at you, claiming the billing is wrong, which buys them another 30 days, then they want it discounted or they will get someone else. If you fall for this, they will soon have you doing the work at cost or below. If you refuse, they simply start all over with another contractor.

Or they just simply adjust the invoice to reflect what they feel is "fair". Dont even think of getting a contract signed.

And whats up with holding my money for a year after completion of a mechanical job? ...Come to think of it, cutting hair is sounding more appealing all the time.....

Thats pretty much what I am going through. You said it right there..

I sold my business and work for the guy. I probably needed to.
    As soon as my contract is up, I will start another HVAC business. I just hate working for low quality people. I have to run a small show to get any kind of satisfaction from my work.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

I hear sex sells....I was thinking of offering my body to lonely housewives on service and maintenace calls....oh wait I do that anyway...
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Originally posted by thehumid1
    I hear sex sells....I was thinking of offering my body to lonely housewives on service and maintenace calls....oh wait I do that anyway...
    Oh- OOhhhhhh! You've never talked to Dowdy Doody's wife on the phone! Honestly- I'm kicking around opening a self serve car wash. Man, thats good money there! And ya don't wind up married to it.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast