Does the Lennox PureAire filter system give off Ozone? What are your opinions of this system?

The Lennox brochure and website says no ozone. The salesman from the contractor that is installing my new HVAC system next week says it does give off some ozone. His advice is to put a Carrier EZ Flex filter inside the standard Carrier cabinet(Makpak??)that comes with the 58MVP furnace. I have asthma so I would like to find out who is right on this one as my doctor says not to use anything that gives off ozone.

In short NO as far as I can tell and have been told it does not. Any system that uses UVC or UVV lights will produce ozone as will the EAC units and the Aprilaire 5000.
    The Lennox unit uses UVA lights (black light) that work as a catalyst for the oxide grid, which then works as a biocide and bioaersol. There is a name for the action but for the moment I can't remember what it is. the Lennox Pureaire is the best filter system on the market period nothing else does the same job. It is my understanding this is the same type of system used on the space shuttle.
    For most applications a simple extended media filter like the Lennox PMAC or Aprilaire 2500 Skuttle filter is more than sufficient. No filter system is going to help if you don't have some kind of fresh air into the house and a well insulated and sealed duct system. The return air grill capacity must be big enough for the system also.

Pure-aire terminology

Right on Classical. Pure aire's filtration process of using hydroxyl radicals activated by UV as a biocide is simply referred to as photocatalysis (photocatalytic process).

[Edited by moonman1 on 05-30-2004 at 09:08 PM]
    If a day went by without a problem - there'ld be a problem.

Re: Pure-aire terminology

Originally posted by moonman1
    Right on Classical. Pure aire's filtration process of using hydroxyl radicals activated by UV as a biocide is simply referred to as photocatalysis (photocatalytic process).

Sat through presentation by Lennox. I understood the UV light and the titainium oxide oxidized the VOCs to smaller VOCs, eventially carbon dioxide and water. Nothing to do with biocides. You must operate the fan "ON". The MERV 8 filter traps the particulate. A good MERV 8-10 filter with a little fresh air, and humidity control is real indoor air quailty.

hogan,

Fresh air exchange, humidity control, hepa filtration are proven and recommended practices. Check out the links and info on lungusa.org and healthouse.org

The PCO technology used in the Lennox Pure Air is new and looks very promising. Also PCO technology is available as a portable.

Re: Re: Pure-aire terminology

Originally posted by teddy bear

Sat through presentation by Lennox. I understood the UV light and the titainium oxide oxidized the VOCs to smaller VOCs, eventially carbon dioxide and water. Nothing to do with biocides. You must operate the fan "ON". The MERV 8 filter traps the particulate. A good MERV 8-10 filter with a little fresh air, and humidity control is real indoor air quailty.
    Thanks for pointing that out and please excuse me. Referring to the PCO process as a biocide is incorrect. I should have used the term 'biocidal action'.
    The pure-aire filter not only takes care of VOC's but eliminates odors (bacteria) down to .3 microns. The combination of UV (specific wavelength),titanium oxide catalyst and water vapour results in PCO. This process whereby hydroxyl radicals interact with and destroy microorganisms' chemical bonds is the basis of design and function of the pure-aire. I suspect that rated efficency will vary upon air volume as is with EAC technology.

Re: Re: Re: Pure-aire terminology

Thanks for pointing that out and please excuse me. Referring to the PCO process as a biocide is incorrect. I should have used the term 'biocidal action'.
    The pure-aire filter not only takes care of VOC's but eliminates odors (bacteria) down to .3 microns. The combination of UV (specific wavelength),titanium oxide catalyst and water vapour results in PCO. This process whereby hydroxyl radicals interact with and destroy microorganisms' chemical bonds is the basis of design and function of the pure-aire. I suspect that rated efficency will vary upon air volume as is with EAC technology. [/B]
    The filter does not remove most bacteria. It removes 60% of 1 mircon particles. You need 95% of 1 micron for bacteria. Odors and bacteria are different. Most odors are voc related and may be slowly reduced by PCO, like a couple days. It breaks the chemical bonds of vocs not microrganisms. I admire your enthusiasim for the product. I believe a homeowner would be better served with a clean fresh, dry, air.

<<The PCO technology used in the Lennox Pure Air is new and looks very promising.>>

Actually it's not new and has been well understood for many years. Commercialization of such a technology has not been particularly successful.

There was at least one other vendor of PCO air purification devices exhibiting at the ASHRAE show in Anaheim this past year. Here are more:
    http://www.air-purifier-home.com/airsopure.aspx
    http://www.kesair.com/index.htm
    http://rgflibrary.com/adv1.pdf

<<The combination of UV (specific wavelength),titanium oxide catalyst and water vapour results in PCO. This process whereby hydroxyl radicals interact with and destroy microorganisms' chemical bonds is the basis of design and function of the pure-aire>>

PCO is just the mechanisms for producing Oxygen radicals. There are many other ways to produce them. The interaction between these oxygen species and organic material (cellular or other) is known as oxidation. When a living organism is involved, it's referred to as oxidative stress. Well known to be toxic to pathogens and other creatures (including you and me) in sufficient intensity and duration.

Some light reading for you:

Block, S. S.; Goswami, D.Y. (1995). "Chemically enhanced sunlight for killing bacteria." Solar Engineering - ASME 1995 1: 431-437.

Goswami, D. Y.; Trivedi, D.M.; Block, S.S. (1995). "Photocatalytic disinfection of indoor air." Solar Engineering - ASME 1995 1: 421-427.

Ireland, J. C. K., P.; Rice, E.W.; Clark, R.M. (1993). "Inactivation of Escherichia coli by titanium dioxide photocatalytic oxidation." Applied and Environmental Microbiology 59(5): 1668-1670.

Jacoby, W. A.; Blake, D.M.; Fennell, J.A.; Boulter, J.E.; Vargo, L.M. (1996). "Heterogeneous photocatalysis for control of volatile organic compounds in indoor air." Journal of Air & Waste Management 46: 891-898.

Matusunga, T. (1985). "Sterilization with particulate photosemiconductor." Journal of Antibacterial Antifungal Agents 13: 211-220.

Nagame, S.; Oku, T. Kambara, M.; Konishi, K. (1989). "Antibacterial effect of the powdered semiconductor TiO2 on the viability of oral microorganism." Journal of Dental Research 68: 1696-1697.

Saito, T.; Iwase, T.; Horie, J.; Morioka,T. (1992). "Mode of photocatalytic bactericidal action of powdered semiconductor TiO2 on Streptococci mutans." Journal of Photochemical Photobiology 14: 369-379.

Thnaks for the references. I am familiar with Goswani's work at the U of Florida. T.B. - you and I didn't sit the same class. Lennox (not me) claims that the pure aire removes particles down to .3 microns and 50% of household odors in the first 24 hours of operation. Aspergillus spores average about 3.5 microns until PCO exposure reduces them. BTW, I never mentioned anything about the filter removing most bacteria.

Thanks for all of the information everyone. Unfortunately, things did not work out. The Carrier dealer could not get the PureAire in time for the installation. They came a few days earlier than planned. I ended up going with a Carrier EZ-Flex filter inside of the standard Carrier cabinet that came with the furnace. The returns are underground so the furnace and coil sit on top of the filter cabinet. I take that to mean that I'm out of luck if I want to get the PureAire later. It wouldn't be reasonable to go back and remove the furnace and coil to switch later on. If it was a typical setup that had the return entering the side of the furnace, my future options would be open.