Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi Speed-vs-AOL

Originally posted by NedFlanders
    Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    How big is this Hussman company? I swear I saw that name on a couple of trucks running around here in the last month or so. I am in southeast Iowa.
    Google search Hussmann you'll see.....or just go to a supermarket and look around a while....they are everywhere .

I had AOL when I first got a computer and I didn't know any better. I think I paid 21$ a month.

Then I got DSL because dial up really sucked for gaming...that was 50$ amonth.

Now my DSL is $26.95 a month and I laugh at people that pay 3 or 4 dollars less for dial up......what are you thinking?

DSL IS THE S##T. Cable also

GET IT or at least look into it.
    You will not believe the difference.
    Who are you using for DSL?

I subscribe to BellSouth Extreme DSL.
    3MBPS download.
    I love it.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

I have cox high speed which I hear is similar to roadrunner.
    There are people who complain about the cost but most have never had it or don't know how to use it or will not use it. I think it is like having a telephone. Once you have it, you will not want to live without it even with the extra cost. It is becoming a utility and will become more and more like one with time. It improves one's quality of life.

Switch, if you use it you will not regret it.

Who are you using for DSL? [/QUOTE]

I am me , DSL user....SUBMIT !!!

Now calm down , all I'm saying is it's about the same price and it's 10 times faster (roughly)

Originally posted by gilstrac
    I have cox high speed which I hear is similar to roadrunner.
    There are people who complain about the cost but most have never had it or don't know how to use it or will not use it. I think it is like having a telephone. Once you have it, you will not want to live without it even with the extra cost. It is becoming a utility and will become more and more like one with time. It improves one's quality of life.

Switch, if you use it you will not regret it.
    I also have Cox service and it blows all else away. $40 a month. Now they have an even faster service, but at $80 a month. I am too happy to try anything else at the moment. For example, I dl'ed everything off the Sporlan site in 10 minutes. Music, movies, whatever.

Does cox or road runner offer digital phone too? Like I said earlier in this thread. We have Comcast here. We get regular cable, with a few of the movie channels, we get the DSL, and we also get two digital phone lines. It's about $60 a month for the whole package. The phone stuff like caller ID and bla bla bla, are all included. We have never had a problem yet in almost a year and a half with any of it. The weather got real nasty once and we were out for like 3 hours. But that would have happened anyway with anything.

And if you pay ahead. Like I try to do with everything, like a year in advance, it works out to about $50 per month. We rarely use long distance on Land Line since our cell phones have it included, but then we also use the Comcast Long Distance service and it's way cheaper than any phone company.

We use to have AOL for DSL. We had cable through Comcast. And then we had Ameritech for the phones. It was about $200.00 a month all together. If they offer a packaged deal such as I described, I suggest checking it out. It might save you some money..

Originally posted by Dowadudda
    Does cox or road runner offer digital phone too?
    Yes they do. I have the internet, digital phone, digital cable for $120 a month. All from COX.

i have comcast cable and was downloading off download.com the other day and hit 2700kbps on a very large game demo. with dial up i was lucky to hit 4.5 kbps. waaay better but it cost about twice as much as dial up.

Originally posted by toddzillag
    i have comcast cable and was downloading off download.com the other day and hit 2700kbps on a very large game demo. with dial up i was lucky to hit 4.5 kbps. waaay better but it cost about twice as much as dial up.
    Damn, I guess Cox is not that good then. The fastest my downloads have been are 430-460 kbps, with normal speeds in the 200 kbps range. I'll have to start asking some questions Tuesday.

Originally posted by jerrycoolsaz
    Originally posted by toddzillag
    Damn, I guess Cox is not that good then. The fastest my downloads have been are 430-460 kbps, with normal speeds in the 200 kbps range. I'll have to start asking some questions Tuesday.
    Try DSL, 3 MBPS download.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Cox slow?

I don't know about your Cox but I just ran a speed test.

2004-05-31 00:39:09 EST: 2955 / 261
    Your download speed : 3026702 bps, or 2955 kbps.
    A 369.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 268096 bps, or 261 kbps.

2004-05-31 00:41:02 EST: 3085 / 278
    Your download speed : 3159603 bps, or 3085 kbps.
    A 385.6 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 285306 bps, or 278 kbps.

Downloads are always pretty fast. It is up that is around 300. VPNs and such are slow. Heck and I am sharing with four other household members on a wireless G network and I know one is using it for sure because she is on her laptop right next to me.

I have had dialup, microwave, DSL and cable. I will have to say the two best are DSL and cable but in my area DSL is a little more expensive. But in the beginning I had to take what I could get. Make the jump. It doesn't matter which DSL or cable, it will pummel dialup. Buy the fast car. Then drive it.

Cheers....

In my area, we have a choice. BellSouth DSL or Tiwme warner(Road Runner) cable modem. Both are fast. I have Time Warner Cable and have only had one instance of prolonged downtime. A squirrel chewed through the line from the pole to my house. The service is great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12