+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Speed-vs-AOL

Post Likes
    I have had AOL service for a good long time and am finding it harder and harder to pay for the crappy service I get. Locally I have 3 dial up number to get online and got a message today from aol that they are suspending 2 of the numbers.
    My question is this, does anyone here have Road Runner Hi Speed and if you do, how would you rate its' service?
    Road Runner is approx 2 times the cost but if it does what they say it does it may be worth it.

Post Likes
    Once you switch to broadband (Roadrunner or DSL) you will NEVER go back!

Post Likes
    My DSL was down for a couple of days and I had to use dial-up .....I wanted to really hurt someone.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    I hate Time Warner and their service.

They have a lot ... a WHOLE LOT to be desired!!!

They are basically a heartless entity. They are a shell of a company whose only function is to collect your money and give you just enough service .... to keep you on board with them.

And since they are basically the ONLY gane in town, so to speak, they have a monopoly.
    Another word for it is ... they hold all the cookies! They have no competition. And they know this very .... very well.

I dont like big government. And I dont like big corperations! And I especially do NOT like it when the little ISP cannot possibly compete in this market today.

Cause unless you are situated in a special area where someone has established wireless Internet or satelite Internet ... or unless you live within so many feet of a Central Office which has the DSLAM installed to provide DSL Internet service ... you are at the mercy of "A-HOLE" and others like "Time-Wiener".

A long time ago ... now it seems, one of the funny things about being "wired" was this question that was asked of those who were online and addicted.

"Do you know your ISP personell on a first name basis?" "And they you?"

Of course my answer was YES!

I could drop in on them anytime! They knew who I was when I phoned for questions.

In a perfect scenario, you would be able to choose any whore; referring to time or a-hole ... who was a cable, or wireless provider ... to be the wires connection for your choice of an ISP.

The time or a-hole would only provide the means for which the ISP of YOUR CHOICE would use in order to get you connected to the Internet.

It would be like ... anybody could be the road, but the car you chose to drive could be from ANY manufacturer you chose to sign up thru!

But of course, we dont live in a perfect world.

And before too much longer, there wont be any more small town ISP's or small town anythings left.

The Time-Weiner, A-Hole, Wal-Mart's will have broken the backs of all the competition!

Yeh, I'm on Timer-Wiener "Road Runner" service.
    Is it fast? I'd NEVER EVER go backwards and use dial up again! That's for sure!!!

But if there were any other way of connecting and NOT using time ... or a-hole ... or one of the several other "whores" who kill, mame or destroy free enterprise ...I most certainly would! Even at DOUBLE the monthly service price!!!

I feel about time-wiener and a-hole the way Dave feels about joining the union.
    I feel about them the same way a Southerner feels about joining The Union.

I feel about it like how Dave feels about Doolin's Trouble Shooter's Bible!

I look at these guys as any good competent refrigeration man feels about someone who uses Dy-Tel or Thaw-Zone.

I think of them the way the EPA views ventors.

I think of them the same way that Hussman Engineering feels about seasoned market men. (disdain)
    I feel about them the way seasoned market men feel about "Hussman Engineering".

......."Hussman Engineering" ... now THERE is an oxy-Moron for you!!!

Kinda like someone showing up at the market your having trouble with and saying; "Hi, I'm from Hussman Engineering. I'm here to help you!"

ROFLOL ... and doubled over in pain!!!

Post Likes
    How big is this Hussman company? I swear I saw that name on a couple of trucks running around here in the last month or so. I am in southeast Iowa.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    I was a dial up victim for about 2 years. I then found DSL and would never ever go back to that dial up. I hate going to relatives houses and they have dial up. Most of them now are on cable or DSL. I have one last relative who is on dial up and there is no chance for him since it is not availible in his area or else he would.

Post Likes

Cool AOHell SUCKS!!!

Been online since 92. Did dialup for my first 7 years on the net. The last 5 have been on cable. One click and Im online instantly, no waiting for dial up and getting pissed because of busy signals. Plus AOHell has no local toll free numbers for me, I had to get a special plan or pay out the wazoo to be online.

Think about it, your paying $20 to AOHell, plus a phone line which is another $10 or $20 a month. Cable or DSL is around $40 a month with much better service. I cant ever imagine doing dialup again.

Post Likes
    It's a Chevette( raggy one) Compared To A Cadillac (with Onstar)

Post Likes
    Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    How big is this Hussman company? I swear I saw that name on a couple of trucks running around here in the last month or so. I am in southeast Iowa.
    Google search Hussmann you'll see.....or just go to a supermarket and look around a while....they are everywhere .

I had AOL when I first got a computer and I didn't know any better. I think I paid 21$ a month.

Then I got DSL because dial up really sucked for gaming...that was 50$ amonth.

Now my DSL is $26.95 a month and I laugh at people that pay 3 or 4 dollars less for dial up......what are you thinking?

DSL IS THE S##T. Cable also

GET IT or at least look into it.
    You will not believe the difference.

Post Likes
    i have the comcast hi speed cable stuff

Post Likes
    I love cable 10x faster than DSL
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    we get cable, DSL and our phones through Comcast. It's like 60 bones a month. Can't beat it.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by NedFlanders
    Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    Google search Hussmann you'll see.....or just go to a supermarket and look around a while....they are everywhere .

I had AOL when I first got a computer and I didn't know any better. I think I paid 21$ a month.

Then I got DSL because dial up really sucked for gaming...that was 50$ amonth.

Now my DSL is $26.95 a month and I laugh at people that pay 3 or 4 dollars less for dial up......what are you thinking?

DSL IS THE S##T. Cable also

GET IT or at least look into it.
    You will not believe the difference.
    Who are you using for DSL?

Post Likes
    I subscribe to BellSouth Extreme DSL.
    3MBPS download.
    I love it.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes
    I have cox high speed which I hear is similar to roadrunner.
    There are people who complain about the cost but most have never had it or don't know how to use it or will not use it. I think it is like having a telephone. Once you have it, you will not want to live without it even with the extra cost. It is becoming a utility and will become more and more like one with time. It improves one's quality of life.

Switch, if you use it you will not regret it.

Post Likes
    Who are you using for DSL? [/QUOTE]

I am me , DSL user....SUBMIT !!!

Now calm down , all I'm saying is it's about the same price and it's 10 times faster (roughly)

Post Likes
    Originally posted by gilstrac
    I have cox high speed which I hear is similar to roadrunner.
    There are people who complain about the cost but most have never had it or don't know how to use it or will not use it. I think it is like having a telephone. Once you have it, you will not want to live without it even with the extra cost. It is becoming a utility and will become more and more like one with time. It improves one's quality of life.

Switch, if you use it you will not regret it.
    I also have Cox service and it blows all else away. $40 a month. Now they have an even faster service, but at $80 a month. I am too happy to try anything else at the moment. For example, I dl'ed everything off the Sporlan site in 10 minutes. Music, movies, whatever.

Post Likes
    Does cox or road runner offer digital phone too? Like I said earlier in this thread. We have Comcast here. We get regular cable, with a few of the movie channels, we get the DSL, and we also get two digital phone lines. It's about $60 a month for the whole package. The phone stuff like caller ID and bla bla bla, are all included. We have never had a problem yet in almost a year and a half with any of it. The weather got real nasty once and we were out for like 3 hours. But that would have happened anyway with anything.

And if you pay ahead. Like I try to do with everything, like a year in advance, it works out to about $50 per month. We rarely use long distance on Land Line since our cell phones have it included, but then we also use the Comcast Long Distance service and it's way cheaper than any phone company.

We use to have AOL for DSL. We had cable through Comcast. And then we had Ameritech for the phones. It was about $200.00 a month all together. If they offer a packaged deal such as I described, I suggest checking it out. It might save you some money..

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Dowadudda
    Does cox or road runner offer digital phone too?
    Yes they do. I have the internet, digital phone, digital cable for $120 a month. All from COX.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in