+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ever hear of Corcon?

Post Likes
    I was asked to submit a bid for doing all the HVAC work for a new Kindercare Learning Center in NJ, the Construction company is Corcon in West Hempstead, NY.

After witnessing friends loose thousands to construction companies and builders, I'm always apprehensive to jump into bed with a company I've never heard of.

Has anyone here done work for them or know if they are a reputable company that pays there bills?

Thanks,
    DHC

Post Likes
    Go talk to your banker. See if he will run a Dunn and Bradstreet report on the general contractor. The score should help you make up your mind if you want to deal with them or not.
    Read, read, read!

Post Likes
    Check the usual sources.
    Bankers who will talk with you.
    D & B rating.
    Do Net search on them. Pay for the listing of who runs the company and who it's officers are, etc.

BBB
    State Attorney General's office.
    State licensing board.
    Local and county inspectors.
    Local and county wide temp labor agencies who may have hired out laborers to them regularly.

OTHER simular contractors in your area.
    Local bid houses where contractors go to view and bid on jobs.
    Several newspapers who may have done articles on the company.
    The courthouse to see if this guy has filed any mechanics liens on anyof his clients.
    Or visa-versa. Has anyone ... ANYONE filed liens against him?

Every contraction company has it's own speciality area where they dont usually sub it out. So you find out what they like to do themselves, then go speak with that type of materials supplier and ask questions.

Ask the company for a list of satisfied Sub Contractors!
    Call the IRS and inquire if they are under investigation.

Speak with your attorney and see what they say about entering into any type of arrangement with this outfit.

Is this enough for right now?

Post Likes
    Send the principals of that company close up photos of their children at play...

They'll pay.

That was a joke. Don't get all psycho-stalker. Big crime. Lots of prison time.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replys guys!

I'll start with my bank and leave the digital camera as a last alternative. lol

DHC

Post Likes
    Something I have learned. Don't get into anything your not comfortable with just for the sake of more money/more business. You may not reach millionaire status as quick but you'll have built a solid and firm foundation of guideposts and protections that your business will thrive under for many years to come.

And these traveling General Contractor outfits are some of the worst customers a mechanical sub could ever want. Even the very good ones are difficult to deal with and get paid from. I'd be very cautious irregardeless if they could finance the country of Saudi Arabia.

Post Likes

my personal opinion ...

i would'nt have ANYTHING to do with Kindercare, or, thier "out-of-town GC ..... i've made My donation ...

Post Likes
    Point well taken!

Thanks for the great advice.

DHC

Post Likes
    DHC, send them a credit application. Every company should have a credit application no matter how big or small they are. Then check the referrences they give you.

A day-care sounds like it could be a good solid account. Don't pass up a chance to get in there. Is this ConCor a general contractor who built the building and wants you to handler the warranty? Or, is it one of these service brokers. Watch the service broker more carefully than if they are just general contractors.

Post Likes

Re: my personal opinion ...

Originally posted by slimwoodie
    i would'nt have ANYTHING to do with Kindercare, or, thier "out-of-town GC ..... i've made My donation ...
    I can see the concern for the out-of-town contractor. But what's up with Kindercare? I am not firmilar with the name. Am I missing something?

Post Likes
    The reason for the out of town contractor is probably cause its one corporation that owns a few franchises of these rugrat holding facilities and they own most of their franchises in New York. The corporation hires its own maintenance people that cover all the franchises so if its the same corporation building a new one dont expect to get a service contract. I am in North Jersey never heard of Corcon but that doesn't mean anything I'd find out how many Kindercare's they built so far and dont locate the return in the under 2 not potty trained room!
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Post Likes
    Corcon is the General contractor, part of the bid is to include a 2 year maintenance contract.

Kindercare is like the Home Depot of childcare. They are very large facilities that are all laid out the same.

This facility is 10,000 sq.ft.

This is their website:
    http://www.kindercare.com

Thanks for all the replies and advice it is appreciated.
    DHC

Post Likes
    I would give it a shot. It is not like you are putting out a lot of material and equipment. If they don't pay you in 60 days then you go to the management of Kindercare and complain. If they don't help you out go to the State and tell them how the little children are breathing air through filty filters because the place doesn't have a service contract any longer.

If all goes well in 5 years you'll be changing compressors for top dollar.

Post Likes

no, beenie .............

DHC will be in court ..looking to get paid for all the work not shown on the plans
    theHumid1 is correct ... they have thier own maint. guy travel the state, changing filters ... there are 6 buildings within 60 miles 'o here , they hired a $11 / hr. "subcontractor" for the ac/ heating ... he drives a 1981 ford van ... ....
    Kindercare, well, they won't care if you haven't been paid ... Your contract is with the G.C. thier aim is to keep cost's down ..

[Edited by slimwoodie on 06-03-2004 at 09:18 AM]

Post Likes

Re: no, beenie .............

Originally posted by slimwoodie
    DHC will be in court ..looking to get paid for all the work not shown on the plans
    theHumid1 is correct ... they have thier own maint. guy travel the state, changing filters ... there are 6 buildings within 60 miles 'o here , they hired a $11 / hr. "subcontractor" for the ac/ heating ... he drives a 1981 ford van ... ....
    Kindercare, well, they won't care if you haven't been paid ... Your contract is with the G.C. thier aim is to keep cost's down ..

[Edited by slimwoodie on 06-03-2004 at 09:18 AM]
    Man I'm glad I don't live down there. They wouldn't get away with that up here.

I ain't saying that I never got beat out of any money but it is a lot easier to smell a rat.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in