HP died. replace just HP or full system?

Hi all. My heat pump, a 14 year old Rheem RPGB-037JAZ, died this past week, which got me to start looking online for solutions and stumbled across this site. Pretty new to this HVAC stuff, as this is my first home, purchased about a year ago. I was told the AC system was fairly new so at first I was worrying that something else was wrong. After looking at he equipment yesterday I saw the HP was 14 and that the new piece of equipment was the 3 year old Rheem RHSA-HM3617JA handler above my garage.

Anyways I have someone coming out to evaluate my system and start putting together options for me on Tuesday. My question is should I be fine with just replacing the HP, granted that the handler was correctly sized for my home, or should I just go ahead and get a full new system put in? If just replacing the HP, would you all have any recommendations?

Here are some of the specifics on the home:
    1800 sq ft Tri-level (1st and 2nd floor br/ba's and mid-level kitchen,dining,den)
    Located in Portsmouth, VA

Thanks in advance!

Your present system is going to have R-22 refrigerant in it, so the expansion device is going ot be designed for R-22. The new heat pump is going to have R410a refrigerant in it, what are they going to do about switching the expansion device to match? Then there is the issue of line size between the new and old refrigerant. Are they sized correctly and are they going to flush them if they reuse?

I assume that the compressor died on the heat pump. If you are not ready to spend the money on a properly installed and sized system for the house I would replace the compressor and hope that it lasts long enough till you can afford what you really need.

Good luck!

Probably could swap out the TXV for 410 model and put a RPNL-036 on it. Won't get tax credit. Have to go RPQL-036 and RHLL or RHKL inside if you want that.

If budget is tight, might be able to find a RPNE or 13PJA running around. Ask a Rheem or Ruud dealer.

I guess a lot of it is going to depend on how much they are going to quote me for whether or not I get the full system then or not. From what I have heard of the company, they are very thorough in designing the systems and properly matching everything, so that has been a good plus so far.

If the compressor were to be the problem, how long would I expect the replacement to last?

Well contractor came out on Tuesday. The guy was very knowledgable and very thorough on checking everything out. Went through and did load calcs and all to ensure that my current system and what he'll put in is sized correctly. We talked a lot about my options and he's going to be getting back to me soon with a bunch of different quotes for different routes we will be able to take. They plan on going through and checking all the pressure coming from the vents and everything once it's installed to make sure the ducting lines are good. I know they'll probablt have to replace and/or tighten up some of my flex lines that are under the crawlspace portion of the house. Anyways, once I get the quotes on the different systems, I'll put them up here to see what you all think about them.

Cheapest option would be to replace it with a Rheem R22 13PJA36A01 13 SEER HP (which is a good match, performance-wise and cost-wise, for the RHSA air handler). They are still available through liquidator warehouses (and possibly regular factory distributors), although they will soon be getting in short supply. That would be pretty much a straight swap out with the lowest labor charges. Ordinarily, that would be my last choice but the RHSA and coil inside are pretty new. This and the new condenser should last 10-15 years. If you ever develop a leak, it will be expensive to repair (because of the cost of R22 in future years) but if the system is installed correctly, this should be a fairly low risk.

Did the existing equipment heat and cool the house OK before it died?

The existing system cooled well, but I'm not 100% satisfied/sure with the heating I was getting. The prices were through the roof in the winter (which was probably a sign that it was going out on me). But yeah they said they would go ahead and try to find an older R-22 unit but I don't know what luck they'll have on that. Anyways here's 3 quotes I got today.

York Affinity 8T 3 ton (18SEER/9.4HSPF)/Affinity AVY 4 ton - $8912
    York Latitude THGF 3 ton (14.5SEER/9HSPF)/Latitude F6FP 3.5 ton - $7005
    Might actually be the F4FP, couldn't tell on the quote that was sent to me but either way they both look like decent systems.
    Rheem RPNL-AZ 3 ton (13SEER/8HSPF)/Swap Coil and lines in existing unit - $5410

Seeing the price on that Affinity system makes me think there's no reason I shouldn't go for it. On top of that I'll also get the HVAC tax credit too.

What's your alls thoughts on it?

Ask them for a price on just replacing the outdoor unit with a Rheem 13PJA36A01. It'll work fine with your existing coil and lineset. You can google this and get some information on it. Should be half the cost of upgrading to Rheem R410a system (the labor on replacing the coil is almost as much a replacing the entire air handler).