+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAE-55 online/offline problems

Post Likes

NAE-55 online/offline problems

I have 4 Nae-55 with an ADS system. One of the NAE's is going offline for maybe 2 seconds at the most maybe three or four times a day. Not a problem other than causing the event log to show alot of errors. Any ideas?

Post Likes
    It has ben a few years since we stopped useing NAEs, but I beleive that your problem may be a communication thing. I think we were always told to try rebooting the NAE to see if that would fix the problem. If it did not we were told to reload it. If all else did not work our engineer would some how hide the communicates problem from the customers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-B View Post
    I have 4 Nae-55 with an ADS system. One of the NAE's is going offline for maybe 2 seconds at the most maybe three or four times a day. Not a problem other than causing the event log to show alot of errors. Any ideas?

A lot of the time, this is due to an address crash, has there been any new devices added?

How long has it been doing this?

Assuming you are using N2, have you verified the end of line device?

These will drive you crazy...

The simple fix is to delay the alarm for a few minutes, but you may want to dig into it first...

GT

Post Likes
    What about the devices under that NAE is there any device issues?
    UA Local 141

Post Likes
    The only new device added to the system are on another NAE. New pressure monitor from Triatek. And this did cause a communications problem. I had to pick apart the trunk line to isolate the monitor. It is a Beta test from Triatek. Once I isolated the new monitor it no longer caused online/offline issues on that trunk. A month later we started getting the NAE online/offline issues all over the system. We are using N2 right now. I was just not sure The ADS could be causing the problem seeing how it is the supervisor. All the info I could get on this issue would be great.

Post Likes
    The only new device added to the system are on another NAE. New pressure monitor from Triatek. And this did cause a communications problem. I had to pick apart the trunk line to isolate the monitor. It is a Beta test from Triatek. Once I isolated the new monitor it no longer caused online/offline issues on that trunk. A month later we started getting the NAE online/offline issues all over the system. We are using N2 right now. I was just not sure The ADS could be causing the problem seeing how it is the supervisor. All the info I could get on this issue would be great.

So it sounds like you have two different trunk lines, is this correct?

If they are linked in any way you are going to be chasing something resembling your own butt...LOL

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    There are 4 NAE's with a ADS as supervisor. You're right it feels like I've been chasing my own butt. But is it possible for the ADS to cause the conflict because it is the only common point. Each NAE has it's own seperate I.P. and seperate trunk lines all reporting to the ADS. If that is the case I'm way out of my normal element.

Post Likes
    Heres a 1 thing to check.
    1: double click the focus tab in any NAE. Click advanced. Scroll down and you will see a Bacnet Device ID.
    Verify that each NAE has a unique address.

Good Luck make sure to post you're outcome.

Post Likes
    Under focus in the advanced view there is no Bacnet ID. I did notice the firmware is different because the NAE's were installed at different times. Each NAE does have its own I.P. all reporting back to the ADS. The versions are different and also the BIOS are different. Another quick question what is the validated enviroment mean? All are selected at false.

Post Likes

Checks

Hello,

Couple of questions?
    1) Has this just started?
    2) Did the system operate correctly before? How long has the system being running. Has anything been installed lately.
    3) is the NAE on a different segment or wireless.

Checks

1) Go to the NAE's and check the versions and what type of NAE 35, 45 or 55 - Under the Focus tab click on the Advance button. Look down to Engineering Values -> Firmware Version.
    Check all the NAE's.

2) Go further down - same tab and what are the APDU timeout and retries.

3) Below this - do you have any Unbound or Duplicate References.

4) Go further down again and under Site - what is the check in interval. The Local site director should be the IP address of the ADS server.

5) Below this is the BACnet stuff. The Network Address should be 1001 and BACnet IP port 47808.

6) Go to the Diagnostic tab and what is the CPU Usage?

7) Go to the Network tab and is hte IP static or dynamic.

Let me know

Post Likes

Sorry

Sorry - asking the same questions has you have posted.

Do you have administrator rights? If you view the NAE and click on the Advance button - you should see information.

Post Likes
    Is the NAE that is going online/offline the newest one to be added? If that is the case it is likely that it is at a higher revision level than the other engines and the ADS.

An ADS can communicate with the same rev level and lower.

If that is the case you will need to re-image it to the same level as the other NAEs.

Post Likes
    You're right JCI guy the NAE-55 in question is the newest one to be added to the system, but it was installed at the same time as the ADS. That was over 2 years ago and everything was fine until recently. And just a question because I don't know what is the valiadated enviroment, it is only on the newest NAE and is selected to false.

Post Likes
    Validated environments are required in pharmaceutical or food processing facilities that must meet the FDA reg 11 requirements. Anyway this deals with record keeping, data storage, and trails and should not have any effect on your online/offline problems. The folks here who mentioned firmware mismatches are probably pointing you in the right direction.

Post Likes
    Yeah I was just wondering what validated enviroment meant. Thanks for letting me know. Canadian JCI guy mentioned re-imaging the NAE to the older firmware but how would I do that. I'm not a JCI tech and that's never come up before.

Post Likes
    Good day all,

This may be way out in left field, but have you checked your Ethernet network recently? If you have a managed switch or router, the logs can tell you if you have some nasty packets, etc. At times IT departments update and/or add other Ethernet devices and this can cause issues. For example, one site added a new Cisco router and this device was sending duplicate packets... it turned out to be a bug within the Cisco device.

Anyway, it may be worth a look to see and/or verify your network... at least you can rule it out as a suspect.

Cheers,

Sam

Post Likes

Reimage?

Why would you reimage the NAE if this system has been working fine for 2 years?

The issue is with the NAE reporting to the ADS.

Again read my post and fill in the questions. For example if you have unbound references - it will broadcast messages to the ADS and shut down that port in the switch. If the IT team has configured the network corrctly, a broadcast storm will shutdown the port.

The check in interval is used for the NAE to report in to the ADS. If these are all the same number, and on larger sites will cause problems. You can modify these numbers so that no one NAE will report at the same time.

Does the NAE go offline at the same time of day. Some times backups are done at night and the network traffic increase which will also cause the NAE to report offline. The APDU timeout and retries can also be adjusted to fix this problem.

Post Likes
    What version is the ADS and the effected NAE? 3.1 had known issue, you will need a patch, and also, under the NAE check the diagnostic tab and check CPU, then check the actual trunk poll scan time,HP point scan time and LP point scan time. CPU should be below 70%, poll apx 5 sec, HP 0-30 sec, LP can be high if theres alot of objects, but hopefully under 5 min. Also check the count, it reflects how many objects you have on the trunk. Should be under 1000. If everything looks ok you can change the checkin interval, but I would bet the COV from the devices is too high, or there is alot of traffic on the line, maybe alot of trends with small covs? anyway let us know.

Post Likes
    Integrator you were right. I adjusted the check-in settings so each are just a little different. Also adjusted the APDU settings a little to cover my bases. Since then all NAE's have stayed online. Thanks

Post Likes
    Four NAEs is a large site?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in