Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier coil bad after just 6 years?

Not a pro, just a homeowner. Have had various problems with my 5 (?) ton Carrier unit over the last few years (bad capacitor, wiring problems, float switch problems, zone control board problem, pan overflows, freon refills, etc.) Had a leak test conducted today and the technician said my a-frame style coil is leaking. Looking at it myself, it's pretty rusted and I just had to clean a bunch of rusty stuff out of the pan below the coil (that I think was also causing a clogged condensation line).

I really know next to nothing about HVAC, so I'd love some help.

1) Shouldn't a coil last longer than 6 years? My home was built in late 2003 and that's when the unit was installed. It's a zone controlled (Duozone controls), 5 ton, furnace/AC combo type system.

2) What is a ballpark price for something like this? I'll have a formal quote tomorrow, but the tech said probably around $1000.

3) With the tax credits and such, should I look at replacing everything with a whole new A/C system?

Your help/advice is much appreciated.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by sarjasy View Post
    Not a pro, just a homeowner. Have had various problems with my 5 (?) ton Carrier unit over the last few years (bad capacitor, wiring problems, float switch problems, zone control board problem, pan overflows, freon refills, etc.) Had a leak test conducted today and the technician said my a-frame style coil is leaking. Looking at it myself, it's pretty rusted and I just had to clean a bunch of rusty stuff out of the pan below the coil (that I think was also causing a clogged condensation line).

1) Shouldn't a coil last longer than 6 years? My home was built in late 2003 and that's when the unit was installed. It's a zone controlled (Duozone controls), 5 ton, furnace/AC combo type system.

2) What is a ballpark price for something like this? I'll have a formal quote tomorrow, but the tech said probably around $1000.

3) With the tax credits and such, should I look at replacing everything with a whole new A/C system?

Jason
    Without seeing the system I don't know what my recommendations would be. Also, knowing your area would give us an idea if you should switch that AC to a heat pump.

No pricing on this site, sorry. Too many variables to even come close with a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sarjasy View Post

Jason
    I would recommend a Ruud personally,They have been reliable for me,but they are mechanical..I have always been a big Carrier fan,but there leaking evaporator coils have wore me smooth out as a technician.

Although I cant recall seeing any of the tin plated coils leak which came late 2006 or maybe 2007.If you go with Carrier just make sure you get 10 year labor warranty.

Capacitors,contactors and motors are pretty much same in most units that I have seen,well Goodman uses some weird name motor for indoor and outdoor but they in my opinion should be used on rental properties or when someone wants a CHEAP system.

6 years is a very short lifespan for a coil; the system should last at least another 10 years.

Get the coil replaced.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

if the a coil doesnt look too bad, just perhaps 1 bad spot than copper and alum. can be patched. you may loose a bit of efficecy but $1000 worth??? otherwise if the coil has several leaks or was just a cheap coil to start with than you may be better off with new. you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by lw1acguy View Post
    I would recommend a Ruud personally,They have been reliable for me,but they are mechanical..I have always been a big Carrier fan,but there leaking evaporator coils have wore me smooth out as a technician.

Although I cant recall seeing any of the tin plated coils leak which came late 2006 or maybe 2007.If you go with Carrier just make sure you get 10 year labor warranty.

Capacitors,contactors and motors are pretty much same in most units that I have seen,well Goodman uses some weird name motor for indoor and outdoor but they in my opinion should be used on rental properties or when someone wants a CHEAP system.
    What a foolish statement to make.

[QUOTE=seatonheating;6436232]What a foolish statement to make.[/QUOTE

How so? Can you elaborate? Its all very true in my opinion.

We've seen a rash of A-coils (all brands) with leaks.

Carrier makes a tin plated coil for more reliability.

I would just replace the coil.

Regarding the other problems, there is some other issues going on.

I have personally been to several manufacturers locations over the last few years. It is pretty much the same all over, that is, there is a push to be competitive. In the old days, manufacturers built stuff to last, and people were willing to pay for that. It is not uncommon to see a syste, that approaches thirty years still running. Todays' economy is different. things are built for planned obsolescence, meaning they are not designed or intended to last that long. They are built in most cases to be price sensitive. We demanded that as a society. How can you build something and not substantially raise prices while cost of doing business goes up? well, lower cost of doing business. the only way to do that is increased productivity, or lower quality. Studies have shown we are a very productive workforce in this country, so where do you turn? lighter gage sheetmetal panels, plastics, motors with a lower quality winding, etc. you pay for it one way or another. wither now or later, which do you prefer? If you were the "average" homeowner, you would be moving next year, so just repair it and move on. If you are not moving anytime soon, take the tax advantage, coupled with the money you would pay for repairs and put a nice down payment on a shiny new system. The ncreased efficiency may just offset the rest ofthe cost over time,and give you piece of mind. Buyer beware, and choose the right contractor, equipment and warranty if you go that route, and do not shop price like your builder did.

[QUOTE=lw1acguy;6436842]
    Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    What a foolish statement to make.[/QUOTE

How so? Can you elaborate? Its all very true in my opinion.

You can brand-bash all you want but in most cases when something fails prematurely there is an underlying reason why.

I have seen coils and other stuff go bad in a short period of time, that should have lasted longer. Stuff is made cheaper now days.
    Also is it a carrier coil? Seen alot of new constuction with offbrand cheaper coils put in, to keep there profit up.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt4kes View Post
    I have seen coils and other stuff go bad in a short period of time, that should have lasted longer. Stuff is made cheaper now days.
    Also is it a carrier coil? Seen alot of new constuction with offbrand cheaper coils put in, to keep there profit up.
    Ya, not to long ago I had a person that really wanted me to install the HVAC in his "dream home". He wasn't going to leave this new home except horizonally.
    He knew I would do it right, but he had a (low) bid he couldn't refuse.
    Long story short, he had all sorts of problems. He called me in to see what it would cost to fix the mess. That's a story in itself.
    I found a new furnace coupled with a 3 year old A/C system. Mis-matched manufactures as well. He hadn't even noticed.

if it had been a trane coil, it would not have lasted 6 years
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast