Hatco- Humidified product storage- Excess moisture in top control compartment

Hatco Model FSDT-2, Serial 9647400336- This is a display case used to keep soft pretzels(or other food) from getting hard after they are made in a pretzel shop- The problem is that in the top compartment where the controls are located it looks like the humidity which is supposed to be confined to the product storage area is somehow getting up into the control compartment and it's not just a few drops, I'd say a few ounces condensing in this area. As a result the pretzels seem to have an extremely short shelf life in this device, so it appears as though the humidity is escaping into the controls compartment and condensing.
    I used some food grade silicone and sealed places where it looks like it could get up into the controls and I'm going back tomorrow to see if there is any change.

Customer has used only distilled water since the unit was purchased new

Has anybody ever seen this before?
    "Delay is preferable to error"- Thomas Jefferson

I am familiar with that unit. Hatco Flav-r-Savor. I have seen the hose between the place you fill and the actual water reservoir leak on either end. I would also see if the water could be coming from an outside source i.e. water hose being used for cleaning. There should be a foam gasket on the lid for access to the heating element. Hope some of that helps...
    Mark

I agree with maninblack. Also make sure they're not overfilling.

the location of the moisture

Quote Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
    I am familiar with that unit. Hatco Flav-r-Savor. I have seen the hose between the place you fill and the actual water reservoir leak on either end. I would also see if the water could be coming from an outside source i.e. water hose being used for cleaning. There should be a foam gasket on the lid for access to the heating element. Hope some of that helps...

It looks like the moisture is not coming from anything leaking. When you pull the lid off the top of the unit there are water drops on it. The water seems to be evenly distributed over most of the surfaces of the top compartment. Looks like a steam leak and then it condenses.

I'll be taking another look at it this morning.

If I had to guess and and what I've done already doesn't help, I would say there is a "heated, humidified air leak" in the top compartment. Not exactly sure how that will be detectable if it's not in the form of steam.
    "Delay is preferable to error"- Thomas Jefferson