+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rats Again!

Post Likes
    We ran a no A/C warranty call today on a 6 month old Trane 410a system that we installed. The tech found that a rat had actually chewed a hole through the aluminum tubing on the condenser. This bionic rat was no where to be seen just a nest and teeth marks all over the tubing. This wasn't just a small hole but a big gapping hole, indicating that after getting blasted in the face with freon he actually came back for more!

I have experienced first hand the damage that one rat can do. But chewing through metal is a first. I would hate to have this rat lurking around my house.

Post Likes
    That's pretty F-ing impressive.

Some other company probably has some rat trained to go out and chew up the competition's condensers
    .....Hey, that's not a bad idea
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by i_got_ideas
    That's pretty F-ing impressive.

Some other company probably has some rat trained to go out and chew up the competition's condensers
    .....Hey, that's not a bad idea
    Yeah, like attach little business cards to the rats neck.

Seriously, a few weeks ago I was replacing an a/c and the ho showed me where squirrels had chewed up the hose *AND* the aluminum regulator to his lp gas grill on the deck. The tank had been left on, and was empty. The regulator had a hole chewed in it about 1" in diameter and you could see the spring inside.

Post Likes
    Rats ... heck... it was probably a Goat what chewed thru that condensor!

They train em up in PA! (I hear tell)

Trained Goats! Yep!

Y'all know a goat will eat just about anything.

Trainin's what does it.

And they're real sly about it also.

They are taught to sneak into the yard at night as the family is asleep or the business is closed down.

Once they done their damage ... they sneak outa there real quiet like.

The owners of these special animals put soft soled shoes on em so they dont make no noise.

Yep. Soft soled shoes on them special trained goats!

Post Likes
    They Also love PVC !
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

Post Likes
    Now here is a real question about that. Who ponies up the bill. Does your company have to eat that or will Trane make ammends, or is it the homoeowners responsibility.

Post Likes
    I once installed a brand new Trane and a while later someone shot a hole in the condenser with a pellet rifle. The previous round Carrier unit had been pinned up against the back of the building by a car, and crushed in the middle like a beer can.

The owner's insurance paid for the replacement of the Carrier with the Trane, and they were a little upset when I told them Trane wouldn't cover the second problem, nor would I eat the labor. Either their insurance would have to cover it again, or it would be out of the owner's pocket.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by midhvac
    I once installed a brand new Trane and a while later someone shot a hole in the condenser with a pellet rifle. The previous round Carrier unit had been pinned up against the back of the building by a car, and crushed in the middle like a beer can.

The owner's insurance paid for the replacement of the Carrier with the Trane, and they were a little upset when I told them Trane wouldn't cover the second problem, nor would I eat the labor. Either their insurance would have to cover it again, or it would be out of the owner's pocket.

Customer's need to realize that we have families to feed to. They can't expect us to cover everything. This case for example, it wasn't your damn fault, you have every right to expect payment.

Post Likes
    In this case, there is no warranty coverage from you or from TRANE. Rats are not covered under warranty so, the HO's insurance policy will be the lucky one's to pay for this, after the HO pays the deductible of course.
    I had a customer try to make me cover the cost of replacing all the thermostat wire in her home from rats chewing through it because she had a "warranty" on her AC system. I told her rats weren't covered by the policy, you shoulda seen the fireworks then!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by william antley

I had a customer try to make me cover the cost of replacing all the thermostat wire in her home from rats chewing through it because she had a "warranty" on her AC system. I told her rats weren't covered by the policy, you shoulda seen the fireworks then!
    I once ran a home warranty call. The ho was a giant of a man with lots of tattoos. I diagnosed the problem as a fried brand new digital setback stat. I had the unfortunate job of telling him the warranty specifically excludes coverage of digital stats. I quoted him a price for replacing it. He got in my face with his fists clenched and started yelling at me and said he wasn't going to pay me a dime for anything.

While I'm usually a pacifist, I'd been having a bad day and something in me just snapped at that point. With his face 6" from mine, I shortened that distance by half and locked eyes with him and told him that, yes, he was in fact going to pay my bill, and that it was his responsibility to read his warranty before calling.

His entire demeanor changed immediately and he became very nice, (thank God!) and explained to me that he traded some work with an hvac man to install a Second Wind humidifier and the new stat, but that he couldn't get him to come back when he started having problems.

He offered to pay me for putting his old stat back on and checking his system. I immediately discovered the humidifier was wired wrong and fried, and took the stat with it.

Post Likes
    Everyone's a big scary guy to me ...I'm only 5'10" and 130#s.

I've only had one really go off on me, and he was a huge M-Fer,..... I told him I was shutting down his furnace because of a crack. I held my own but I could've just shit myself.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Dowadudda
    Now here is a real question about that. Who ponies up the bill. Does your company have to eat that or will Trane make ammends, or is it the homoeowners responsibility.

No warranty for rat damage. We are replacing the coil next week at full price.

Post Likes

I've only had one really go off on me, and he was a huge M-Fer,..... I told him I was shutting down his furnace because of a crack. I held my own but I could've just shit myself.
    We actually had to fire a guy a while back, just about your size for fighting with a customer twice his size. Our tech beat the dogshit out of the maint. mgr. at a plant we service, for stepping on the toe of his brand new steel toe boots. The mgr. had a habit of checking for this and had done this in the past. Our tech told him at that time to never do that again, that he alone had paid for them and disliked them being done that way.

The boss did not want to fire the guy but it was a safety thing. Just remember Ideas....It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. LOL

Post Likes
    Rat's no problem,mice no problem,snakes PROBLEM!.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by no8no3

We actually had to fire a guy a while back, just about your size for fighting with a customer twice his size. Our tech beat the dogshit out of the maint. mgr. at a plant we service, for stepping on the toe of his brand new steel toe boots. The mgr. had a habit of checking for this and had done this in the past. Our tech told him at that time to never do that again, that he alone had paid for them and disliked them being done that way.

The boss did not want to fire the guy but it was a safety thing. Just remember Ideas....It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. LOL
    Oh, if the situation calls for it I can take care of myself

Post Likes
    Snakes no problem either, Spiders though...yuk

I'd rather have a big 'ol snake slither up my pant leg than have a spider on me.

I've run accross spiders big enough to F**k a chicken flat-footed.....just gives me chills thinking about it.

Post Likes
    One time, sitting flat on the floor in front of a furnace with my legs crossed, the ho's pet ferret ran out from under the furnace and jumped in my crotch.

I screamed like a little girl.

Post Likes

I've run accross spiders big enough to F**k a chicken flat-footed.....just gives me chills thinking about it.
    What do you think the chicken would think about it?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in