Found this today. What the picture doesn't tell you is

-130,000 BTU furnace
    -3.5 ton a/c
    -duct work coming off furnace is tapped and capped
    -8x10 coming off either side
    -return in side of furnace is 12x12
    -all supply's are 5" (8 of them)
    -zero superheat

Now, I wish the HO's to see this sight, tell them what's wrong with this setup, hat could happen and what is happening. BTW house is a 1000 sq. foot. Quick load calc says 1.5 ton and 45,000 btu furnace.

P.S. System is 7 years old
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

May as well rip down those energy guides.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

If Bubba says bigger is better, that's the way it'll be. That's the way he's always thought since beginning of time, and no reason to change now.

You already said what was wrong. 3.5 ton in 1000sq.ft. It's not an un-insulated sheetmetal building is it? What's the on cycle? 32 seconds?

For what it's worth, I don't do HVAC work even though I could do better than this guy.

PS. it has lasted for 7 yrs?

Is the duct system older than 7 years? It seems like the duct system is not too far off. The furnace and AC are just way oversized. Maybe the duct system is from when the house was built and the furnace was changed out 7 years ago. maybe AC added at the time?

Is the copper condensate line trapped?

brent

Originally posted by brent
    Is the duct system older than 7 years? It seems like the duct system is not too far off. The furnace and AC are just way oversized. Maybe the duct system is from when the house was built and the furnace was changed out 7 years ago. maybe AC added at the time?

Is the copper condensate line trapped?

brent
    You are right on the money. I don't remember if there is trap or not.

Tenet hadt-stat set at 49deg when I arrived, she was wondering why it was freezing up. doh....

P.S. I am going to print this out for the HO. Please give me a list of what "can and will happen" to this system.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Whats wrong

Air in air out 3 1/2 tons into 8x10 branches, betcha it blows real good
    the returns full size even if it don't go no where. Pipes are connected stuffs gotta run thru'em.

I like how he turned the heater into a high efficient unit by squeezing the exhaust pipe down that'll keep the heat in the basement, and hot air rises. Enough heat n air for a big addition he's probably planning. Boy I'd like to see that.
    Who did the frigeration n lectric I wonder??

Bad duct work means lots of noise, poor airflow, damaged HVAC equipment and terrible comfort.

Undersized return compounds all problems listed.

Oversized furnace means higher energy bills, and a damaged heat exchanger that leads to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Copper condensate is very hard to clear out when it plugs up. Although, it is an upflow coil, that means possitive pressure, no trap needed.

Can't see where the single wall flue goes but if it's not terminated right, the house will burn down so, no need to worry about the other problems.

Just one other thing I would've done would've been to change out that antique gas shut-off.

BTW.....is there a filter?

There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

I'd run a screw into the stat so it can't be turned lower than 68, or put a stat in the duct wired to the Y circuit, then do *LOTS* of writing on the invoice.

once again ditto's with i_got_ideas