+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning Brutes

Post Likes
    I took apart my Brute set today for the first time since I bought them years ago to clean them. I got everything apart with the exception of the sight glass. Does anyone know how to remove it? It appears to just be threaded, but for the life of me, I can't break it loose.

Also, if anyone has any other tips for restoring them, I'm all ears. I'm already going to put new seals in the hoses. Is there any other readily-available seals for the valves? I know that Yellow Jacket sells a rebuild kit for them, but it's pretty pricy.

Post Likes
    No one?

Post Likes
    the valves will have a rubber or plastic type of seal i cant remeber i did the same thing a couple years back

Post Likes
    Originally posted by bmf
    the valves will have a rubber or plastic type of seal i cant remeber i did the same thing a couple years back
    Do you remember how you got the sight glass out?

Post Likes
    You got WAAAAYYYY too much time on your hands if your rebuilding your gages.

No offense meant, but ... have you considered just flushing them out with some cleaner solution and putting them back together?

I mean, this sounds like a nice winter time project...

I just checked my Johnstone catalog. They dont list the rebuild kit or price for the Brute gages.

It couldnt be THAT much?!

Hey .. if you get a good price on a kit .. let us know.
    Maybe we'll all send you our Brutes and work out a deal on you rebuilding them ... hehehe

By the way ... do you also refil those glycerin gages?

My latest Brute has the glycerins on them.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by R12rules
    You got WAAAAYYYY too much time on your hands if your rebuilding your gages.

No offense meant, but ... have you considered just flushing them out with some cleaner solution and putting them back together?

I mean, this sounds like a nice winter time project...

I just checked my Johnstone catalog. They dont list the rebuild kit or price for the Brute gages.

It couldnt be THAT much?!

Hey .. if you get a good price on a kit .. let us know.
    Maybe we'll all send you our Brutes and work out a deal on you rebuilding them ... hehehe

By the way ... do you also refil those glycerin gages?

My latest Brute has the glycerins on them.

I figured that it'd be a good weekend project. I had originally asked our Pameco (it was that long ago), now GA Larson about the rebuild kit. They told me that it was $120. It includes one set of knobs, and about four sets of the seals.

Funny you should mention about rebuilding others. I have a friend who used to rebuild manifolds and low loss fittings for people in town. He bought the massive kit from Yellow Jacket that included everything needed for about 15 rebuilds on the standard sets, and charged $25 a pop.

I've been considering putting the glycerins in mine, but with the abuse I give them up and down ladders, being dropped, roped up the side of buildings hitting the wall several times on the trip to the top, etc., they'd be leaking in no time.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in