Confused Business questions

Do you have to be a licensed contractor to do ANY work on residential hvac units? I am EPA certified, and have all the basic hvac/r technical certifications, and am just wondering if i can branch off in a small side business providing service, maintenance, and small repairs to havc units, but I am not a contractor. Any thoughts????

Here in Washington you need to have at least held a pookie brush for more than 5 consecutive minutes.

Each state, and many cities/townships are different... but generally YES, you need a state issued license to do HVAC repair and replacement. Not that everyone who does it is licensed... but that is a different animal.

Pay your dues and get your license... and you can be a business owner like the rest of us...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

can we say pookie brush here?
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

You need to check your local laws for clarification..

And no you cant say "pookie brush" here.

Add at least a Million Liability and Workman's Comp (here in SC).
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    You need to check your local laws for clarification..

And no you cant say "pookie brush" here.

How about pookie, pookie, pookie; brush, brush, brush....

ok, I am on my soapbox here. Many techs such as yourself want to earn a quick buck by doing sidework, but you EXPECT your employer to look the other way. Your employer pays taxes, insurances, workers compensation, whatever is required in your state. You wanna go around telling people that "you can save them a few bucks" and put cash in your pocket. Great for you, but crappy for the industry in general. WHY? well, first you send a mesage that we are overpriced. Go see what it REALLY costs to run a mechanic then lets talk. Next, by doing so, you drive down the overall ability of owners in the buisness to pay fair wages and make a profit because people want to beat you up on price etc. Does the pizza guy cook the ingredients you bring to his shop for less money? doubtfull. okay, now lets talk exposure. IF you electrocute yourself, or burn down a HOUSE WITH YOUR TURBO TORCH, how do you intend to pay for the replacement or hospital bills? we have insurance for that. Look, if every tom dick and harry stopped doing sidework, the industry as a whole would be busier, thereby allowing companies to be more profitable, and, GET THIS, raise wages! wouldnt it be sweet to go back to working forty hours and actually being able to sustain a family without working all hours of the night to do side jobs? What about sleeping? do you ever worry about when something goes wrong and YOU are on the hook for it? finally, what about uncle sam. do you pay taxes on your "side jobs"? if not, please give me your address so i can turn you in. I pay a boat load of taxes each year, probably more than you will earn in the next three at your real job. wouldnt it be nice if there was extra money in the pot because everyone paid their share?

I have not yet began a business.... I am employed with some apartment communities and wont be cut throating my employer... I dont want to get into install's.... I dont even yet own a torch set.... I have about a year of experience, and a few certificates.... I just want to perform minor repairs and services, and was wondering if changing a capacitor or cleaning a unit would result in a fine??? As soon as Im eligible, I will be a contractor, but until then, I would like to find out if legally i can do minor service....

As mentioned already it depends where you live. Each State and many counties have their own rules. So you need to find out your local laws. Where do you live? Maybe someone can fill you in on the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    As mentioned already it depends where you live. Each State and many counties have their own rules. So you need to find out your local laws. Where do you live? Maybe someone can fill you in on the rules.
    North Florida