Hybrid View

I meet my partner to do a change out on a deli case coil. No big deal my co-worker tells me on the phone.

Hardly anyone left inside the market as we cart in our tools.

Then at eleven, they lock the doors and everyone leaves.
    Everyone that is ... save for the "Night Stocking Crew".

"Night Stalkers" is more like it .... they played rap music so loud I could hear the torch blazing.
    They kept stoping by to watch us work and ask questions.
    They claimed they did A/C install work ... during the day. This was just their part time jobs .... 11 PM til 5AM.

Yeh Right.

First thing that got to me was that unforgettable sight of that fuzzy stuff! that GROWTH ....inside the case!!!

What the hell is THAT STUFF???

That stuff's so UGLY and funky ... it makes Toe-Jam look like a condiment!

Some of those little white fuzzy funky shapes reminded me of fresh cotton in the fields around where we live!

And then ... once we got down to where we were pullin' the bottom screws outa the old coil ... there was this stuff looked like "Sushi" .... melted sushi.....OLD SUSHI!!!

And then that rap music.

And then ... the guys workin the store ... they couldnt find the dog gone key to let us outa there!!!

We were prisoners!!!

I held up a pry bar and told the boys ... "I have the KEY to let us all outa here!!!"
    One way or the other ... we ARE getting outa here!!!"

Lesson .... NEVER EVER goido a job like that when your hungry!
    You end up wanting to eat whatever is in sight inside the store.
    And worse.... you wanna eat whatever you can get your hands on ... in the next case over ...... even though you know what's GROWING inside that case!!!

Talking

Another magical step down the refer brick road!!!! You are getting the crash course.

Have a great story about the misic during night changeouts. Remodeling a whole store back about 1983. Store was not 24 hour. Closed at 10:00. Loud rock misic started every night about 10:01 over the store PA system. Went like this for a couple of nights. We asked politely if the music could be turned down so we could work and think. Turned down for a bit each time but inched back to Blue Angle Exhaust level each time. Third night we asked but no compliance. We conspired with the electrician to find the source of power for the PA system and end the music for good that night. Well.................

The PA system was on the same bearker as the checkstand computer system. The small power back-up system would not hold the computer for the whole night and so when the store opened at 6:00 the next morning there was no pricing matrix for the checkout registers. We were still in the store working,(with the electrician) and when the store manager asked "WHY THE HELL DID YOU GUYS TURN OFF THE CHECKSTAND COMPUTERS!!!!" we explained our situation to her. After a few choice word to us she stormed off. Took them all day to upload the computers (remember this was about 1983). After that night we never had anymore problems with the night crawlers and their load music.

And we all lived happily ever after.

P.S. There is another great story about this same remodle that I might share at a later date for those who might be interested. Might be fun to get Boss to start a new Forum. Best and Worse war stories.

Those creatures of the night are really something.

I refer to the music as "The battle of the bands".
    It seems about every 3rd aisle ther is a different radio playing type of music.

Ailse 2 Heavy Metal

Aisle 5 Rap

Aisle 7 Oldies

Aisle 9 Top 40

In Aisle 6 I'm trying to rewire a melted down RCA terminal block.

night work is great

Originally posted by NedFlanders

night work is great
    That's impossible. They don't melt, they're perfect.

Originally posted by condenseddave
    Originally posted by NedFlanders

night work is great
    That's impossible. They don't melt, they're perfect.

That's what I keep tellin' my self