+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice on job change

Post Likes

Need advice on job change

I need some advice on changing jobs, or not. I may have an opportunity to leave my current job to get onto a chiller crew. I love the company I currently work for as an apprentice, but really want to learn chillers. The company I work for is great and have helped me out alot as I relocated here from another state but, we dont do chiller work. Do you guys think its smart to make this move now as no company wants to pay 4th and 5th year wages let alone journeyman wages to train someone. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    In my opinion, with the way the economy is, go with the company that's going to be around longer. Shops go under all the time so choose wisely. Another factor to consider is which company is more likely to support you when times are tough? I worked for a shop once that didn't have hours due to a new construction flop, but they paid us for 32 every week regardless. If you find a company like that, youre blessed. Above everything else, you've gotta do what's right for you, but make sure youre not just thinking about the short term.

Post Likes
    Both companies will be around long term. I just am sitting on the fence between working on commercial equipment or chillers. I would love to learn chillers but just wonder if its a smart decision.

Post Likes
    That's a tough one. If you've learned all you can at company A then maybe it's time to branch out. The most valuable thing is knowledge and you don't usually go wrong by learning additional skills.

Post Likes
    I have always regretted never doing that same thing about 1,000 years ago when I was but a tad pole. more cash in the long run if you stick with it. Chillers tend to need servicing no matter the economy. not unlike supermarkets. Be ready for shut downs were you come in on Friday and do not go home until Monday.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Post Likes
    That's the way I look at it is that chiller work never slows down, thats at least what i hear.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by baker80 View Post
    That's the way I look at it is that chiller work never slows down, thats at least what i hear.
    Thats what I thought too but guess what happened after 7 years with the same company .

An apprentice working on a teardown crew = Delivering equipment to job site, getting coffee, doing grunt work and becoming an expert on how to clean pieces with a wire wheel. Also how will it sit with other journeymen currently working there that want to be trained and they hire a new apprentice and train him instead That will go over like a fart in church. It may sound tempting but your better off in a place where you can continually learn to troubleshoot and repair and become a sound all around HVAC tech. Then work your way up the ladder. You have to learn to crawl before you can run.

If your going to do it you better get a clarification on exactly what you are going to be doing and what kind of training you are going to recieve.
    Good luck.

Post Likes
    Thanx for the advice so far, its a tough decision for me

Post Likes
    I had a few job offers with more pay and more perks over the years. But I decide to stay where I was, because I felt at home where I was working. Now I'm on top of the totum pole and don't look back. Some of the places I had offers at are no longer around. And another place still there just downsized.

Post Likes
    If you want to learn chillers - does the company you work have a good share of the chiller work in your area? If there's lots of annual maintenance and service going on, there's opportunity for you to learn.

If so - is there anyone else ahead of you in the line to get trained? You know how these things go, at my last job you had to be in the club and know the secret handshake to be involved with the big screw/centrifugal jobs.

Look at your co-workers with tenure - they were once ambitious young apprentices, too. They are a good indicator of where you'll end up if you stay where you're at. If they're all highly skilled and capable, who understand that there is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat, that's one thing. If they're all jaded, embittered, old goons who just want to do their 8 and go home to crack a cold one, then.... You know.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    The company I currently work for does no chiller work or very little.The company that I have an chance to work for has alot of chiller work in my area. I guess i'm just scared to leave my current company due to fear of layoff's. I've been in the trade since 1998, but here in jacksonville, very seldom do I run into natural gas, being from Detroit that's where most of my experience is. I've only been here two years and have alot to learn. But, i really want to go the chiller route. For some reason chillers amaze me.

Post Likes
    I'd say if you want to learn, go to work where they will train you up on these things. The sooner you start learning the ins and outs of all the different kinds of chillers out there, the sooner you will command a salary that matches your level of expertise.

There's something to be said for both options, but remember that no one will look out for your interests but you, and you must take an active role in your future instead of letting it just happen.

Sorry if I sounded like Dr. Phil there for a minute...

Good luck!
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes

Back from the dead

Hey did you take the chiller job?

If so hows is going, or not?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in