Question about 401 with the use of cars
    I have a tank of 401 and a friend with a 91 pontiac that has no 12 left in it. From what ive read 401 can be used as a replacement for 12 systems, but does this apply with car a/c systems as well?? Any possible problems with switching to this refrigerant? And can it be just dropped in, or do i have to pull a vacuum on the system first. Any problems with performance in the long run as well?

*I did a little search on this, and couldnt find much, so sorry if this toipic has been discused before. Also, ive only been in the hvac field for 3 years now, so if any ignorance is spotted above, please excuse it, im just trying to learn. Thanks*

Originally posted by justjon
    And can it be just dropped in, or do i have to pull a vacuum on the system first.................. Also, ive only been in the hvac field for 3 years now, so if any ignorance is spotted above, please excuse it, im just trying to learn. Thanks*
    Well, when I was in school I learned why you have to pull a vacuum. I used r-401b a while back in a car and it ran okay. Sold it after that.

Ok, well today i also was told that it is good to go ahead and use but it has a tendancy to destroy the gaskets after about 4 or 5 years. I highly doubt this car will be around then, but im still curious to find out.

I've used 409A with no problems.

Any automotive refrigerant used must be approve by the EPA and is subjected to use restrictions.
    http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/index.html

If you are talking MP39 here then it will work fine, Ive used it in some of our work vehicles before, I always pulled a vacuum first, and charged about 10% less than it called for, never had a problem.

Boss was cheap so we had to use what we had, I weighed the EPA regulations vs. me riding around sweating all day.

Originally posted by swampfox
    I weighed the EPA regulations vs. me riding around sweating all day.
    Well put.

Thanks for the good reply.

Originally posted by swampfox If you are talking MP39 here then it will work fine, Ive used it in some of our work vehicles before, I always pulled a vacuum first, and charged about 10% less than it called for, never had a problem
    If you’re going thru all that trouble why not use a 134A conversion kit? There cheep, legal and work excellent.

Dont bother with 134a that wimpy stuff is no match for MP39 in a car. Just pull vacuum and fillerup! I would not worry about the legal aspect of MP39 but I would not label the thing either.