Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice

ok,last time i posted i had a lot of people saying that i lost my money simply cause i posted a question here, this time i will just ask 4 some advice.....i got a job in a company as a helper doing installs,duct work,changing whole condensing units,u name it .....also got a call from another company paying me the same since i have a e.p.a card but in service, they would train me....what is my best route to learn alot about the trade?

I started as a helper, then lead installer, then service, then commercial service, then refrigeration, then controls, then....

Its up to you. Either way, give it your all and keep your integrity high. I took a job once for more money and I was expected to jepordize my itegrity to cut corners. I left immediately. Always take any training available and find a mentor you can learn from.

Assuming that everything else about the companies are equal, I'd go with the service job.

The key is someone who will put the effort forth to train you. Most start out as installers and learn their way into service. We try to do as much training as possible, better for the help and better for the company and customers. If you are currently an install helper and not getting any training that would lead to a better position, then it might be worth jumping ship to a company with better training.

We had an installer quit last fall. He wanted to be a tech but was far from ready. I wanted him to first be a decent installer before we put out the money to train him in service. He found a little company who would let him learn on their customers so he went there. I guess he & they are happy. I just don't think that's the way to do it.

He quit because his boss was a loonie. Lol

thanks to everyone, i will have to decide by monday so i ll keep you guys posted

You have lots to consider, company history and the boss and etc.
    Why is that service company so desperate they need to hire and train you asap? I would be skeptical of that. If you are happy where you are, you will learn service in time.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    You have lots to consider, company history and the boss and etc.
    Why is that service company so desperate they need to hire and train you asap? I would be skeptical of that. If you are happy where you are, you will learn service in time.
    well i would not say there desperate, i just filled applications , and my current job(only 2 days) called first,second(service called today and left a message, so i dont really know about the boss , and that stuff, i coul d tell u that the service company is much bigger, i dont know if i am allowed to say the name of the company in here ,mabe some one has worked there and would know..thanks again

move to vegas and go to black-jack dealers school
    R2B4BTU

If you choose the 2nd, give the current guy 2 weeks notice. If you start off quitting after a few days it will come back to bite you sooner or later.

Originally posted by mattm
    If you choose the 2nd, give the current guy 2 weeks notice. If you start off quitting after a few days it will come back to bite you sooner or later.
    ,thanks mattm i think i would like service better but these guys gave me th e1st oportunnity so i think i ll stick with them and learn, and then go into service.......unless i move to vegas an d do the black jack thing

Originally posted by ch1
    Originally posted by mattm
    ,thanks mattm i think i would like service better but these guys gave me th e1st oportunnity so i think i ll stick with them and learn, and then go into service.......unless i move to vegas an d do the black jack thing
    Now your talkin. This guy took a chance on you first and has already invested in you. You will be a better service man if you learn in the way you are.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I agree.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast