+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In the Family

Post Likes
    I worked for my dad in construction for 8 years and made the leap into HVAC when my neibor who worked for a company told them I was getting burned out in construction. A couple days later my phone rang and I was offered the HVAC job, the rest is history.
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    lots of roofers in my family, an electrician, painter, plumber, i thought i would try to bring something new

to the table

Post Likes
    The United States Navy was my father. Started me on 400 PSI boilers
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    Just me, dad was career air force.

Post Likes

Dad (Step-but still Dad)

Left service manuals laying around where I could get my hands on them-big mistake-they were usually by the tools too.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by itsamine
    My pops.
    My pops is on the AC side and the USN is where I did boilers 600psi superheat baby Main fire lit aye.
    Not what it use to be

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ballvalve
    . How many of us tore apart our toys when we were kids? Mine got worn out from too many "repairs and minor modifications".
    Boy, me too. Found speakers in Dads garage and wired 'um into my clock radio thinking I was making a sterio, made and wired a lamp with a switch at 12 just by winging it, lots of wood stuff. I remember Dad catching me using his table saw without permission! "How long you been using that?" He asked. "Quite a while" I answered. "Well, be careful"

Oh and the bikes! I made some cool mods, and some that hurt me bad! Made alot of my own toys too. Dont see that anymore.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Originally posted by spotts
    Oh and the bikes! I made some cool mods, and some that hurt me bad! Made alot of my own toys too. Dont see that anymore.
    Did you ever hack saw the forks off one set and hammer them onto your bike to make a chopper. Those were dangerous but cool.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by mattm
    Did you ever hack saw the forks off one set and hammer them onto your bike to make a chopper. Those were dangerous but cool.
    Oh yea, and you'd find like a 10" wheel of a little kids bike and put it out there, that and a bannana seat and a sissy bar and some of those curly handlebars! Cool man, all made out of a Schwinn Stingray frame found in the trash.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes

Just me...

Dad was a reporter in the White House press pool for the NY Times during WWII...

A little jealous of y'all who grew up in the trade...

Post Likes
    I am the black "goat" of the family dads a judge, my sister and brother are lawyers. Guess I was the only one with ethics.
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

Post Likes
    Tinkering when I was a kid-- yes I remember. When transitor radios first became affordable I got one for graduating from the 8th grade.

The batteries went dead. It took 4-D cells. Anyaway I didn't have any money for new ones so I took a lamp cord and wired it to the battery terminals. Plugged it in. It worked good for about 5 seconds. Ahh, yes, my first electrical mushroom shaped cloud but not the last.

Post Likes
    My dad was a flight instructor for the astronauts at NASA. He retired from that and got into HVAC, started a company from scratch and I worked with him since the begining and now its in my blood. I am at the wheel now and am having a blast.

Post Likes

Started Solo!!

Father pushed a pencil. Got 1 son in the local going on to 4th year of aprenticeship. Have second one wanting to get in, Im trying to make that happen.

Post Likes
    Spotts its great to hear I wasnt the only one doing bike repairs and choppers... The best one was a shock absorber bike. I did all the cutting and fitting and figuring in about 1 day and then spent the next 3 nights tring to get my dad to take me to Uncle Butch's (my favorite uncle) to get it welded. All this at the ripe old age of 12 or so.

Post Likes
    My dad and step-dad after my father died, both worked in the steel mill (Bethlehem sparrows point plant in Baltimore)
    I got into this when in the air force.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Post Likes
    I remember those

Post Likes
    My father grew up on a small dairy farm in Massachusetts and went to Mass Aggie in Amherst to get educated as a dairy technician. He went to work for a couple dairies and worked his way up. Then WWII came along, he went to sign up but was rejected due to his poor eyesight. He then volunteered for civil defense work and helped out the fire dept and road crews in town because of the shortage of guys to do the work.

There was also a shortage of refrigeration men, so since he had been helped out an older fellow servicing the local dairies, markets and such he started his own refrigeration business and left the dairy. I remember him telling of driving his new Chevy pickup through a driving blizzard from NH to Atlanta to attend his first distributor meeting at Warren Refrigeration in 1951.

My oldest brother joined him in 1962 and my other brother when he got out of the Navy around 1967. When I got out of school in 1971 we all worked together for a while until Dad retired to Florida......and now I've got my own business in Florida and how I wish Pop was still here to share it with me.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by infwsdm
    I remember those
    Anything I had that came apart did....sometimes had left over parts puting it back together though
    There are 3 ways to do anything in life; Good, Fast, Slow: You can pick any 2.

Post Likes
    my Dads in the business funny thing though I trained him! I got atasrted at 16 and I asked my dad what trade I should go into and he said refrigeration so I did now many years later Hes a fridgie too
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in