Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Never tried an ultrasonic, but the next best thing is to shut down the compressor room and listen. Simple but effective, should be done on any maintenance after I "heard" how effective it was at locating leaks in comp. rooms.

Using the Ultra sonic would be logical.
    1. Toggle off systems and let rack pump down to 1 comp.Shut down all compressors.
    2. Wait a few minutes for pressures to balance and quiet down.
    3. Listen for leaks with your own ears then use the ultra sonic to be sure and you,'l likely find any leak there is, just to be sure fire up the H-10 for backup.

Lots of people are scared to shut down a rack but as long as its done right and you do a proper pumpdown and gradual start up!!!!!!!!!!! you should be ok.
    If you just come up and shut off some racks instantly you run the risk of damaging a compressor on startup.
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

Exclamation Leak detectors

I can't believe no one has mentioned the inficon d-tek, which is one of the best.

Shuttin down and listening will beat any leak detector in the comp room!!!
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

What ever works.

Not a big fan of the ultra sonics, like was said, one thumb up. But I do have one and occasionally use it. I think a mech/tech should have an arsenal of tools, techniques and materials to find leaks. An open mind and willingness to be thorough in leak checking are the best gadgets to have. (If I hear or see one more report of leaking schraeders I may strangle someone.)

Re: What ever works.

Originally posted by Stamas
    Not a big fan of the ultra sonics, like was said, one thumb up. But I do have one and occasionally use it. I think a mech/tech should have an arsenal of tools, techniques and materials to find leaks. An open mind and willingness to be thorough in leak checking are the best gadgets to have.
    That is my point.
    Thanks, Bassman, Delta T, William A. & Stamas. Your replies are what I am looking for.
    I am looking at the Inficon Whisper unit, but will look into the one Bassman stated.

Flangehead, My question was not about the D-Tex (I have a teck-mate and D-tek select)but as I said we will all look for the Holy Grail for ever. Stamas, said it the best in his quote above.

Thank again to all.
    Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Hmm

You're right,

Re: Re: Tell me ............

Originally posted by Bassman
    Originally posted by poppa
    more Mr Bassman.

BTW, hows the KTM workin?
    The KTM is SWEET! The more miles I get on it the better it runs.

How's the KLX? BTW, I have a shop manual, a new twin air filter and a new spark plug. Spares that were never used and I no longer need. Let me know if you are interested.
    I wish I would have known. Two weeks after I laid out $50 for the manual, the kick starter shaft broke. $800 to fix it so I sold it as is-was and bought a new CRF250. It's a nice ride and still under warranty.

Originally posted by Bassman
    Some years ago I borrowed an ultrasonic from a co-worker. I found the leak within minutes after my soap and sniffer failed to do the trick. I bought one the next day. Now most of our techs either have one or want one. I have the
    AccuTrak VPE and highly recommend it. I have also used the one that Amprobe makes but didn't like it as much as the AccuTrak.

Thanks for the tip Bassman. I called United today and asked if they knew of the device you were speaking of.
    They said yes, gave me the price and so I ordered it right there on the rooftop!
    They got it coming in special order from another store ... tomorrow morning ... "just for me"...

They also have a model 1000. It does more stuff. I am going to start small and see how this goes.

I think if this works as well as you say it does, I'm going to be the go to guy for leak detection from now on.

Originally posted by R12rules

Thanks for the tip Bassman. I called United today and asked if they knew of the device you were speaking of.
    They said yes, gave me the price and so I ordered it right there on the rooftop!
    They got it coming in special order from another store ... tomorrow morning ... "just for me"...

They also have a model 1000. It does more stuff. I am going to start small and see how this goes.

I think if this works as well as you say it does, I'm going to be the go to guy for leak detection from now on.

Please give us a report on how well it works (or doesn't).

Re: Re: Re: Tell me ............

I wish I would have known. Two weeks after I laid out $50 for the manual, the kick starter shaft broke. $800 to fix it so I sold it as is-was and bought a new CRF250. It's a nice ride and still under warranty. [/B]
    The KLX is just a weak play/trail bike. That CRF is twice the bike the KLX is. Excellent choice. If you ever come out to CA bring your bike and I'll show you around the local desert.
    Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Originally posted by midhvac
    Originally posted by R12rules

Please give us a report on how well it works (or doesn't).
    So far I've open the box and it comes ready to go. I like that part.

It appears to be a sound amplifier. I know it says it hears certain things we cannot with our own ears. I will play more tomorrow and let y'all know more then.

With the prode end attached, I can imagine "listening" to a motor hum, versus just watching a fan motor spin and not knowing how well it's doing. "Hearing" the sounds a motor makes while operating is exciting to me.
    It gives me an advantage over just nakedly listening or maybe taking an amp reading.

This appears to give all of us an edge over how we used to operate.

If this sucker works half as good as I think it will ... I am going tobuy the next model up, the VPE 1000.
    I have been drooling over that tool for many years!

It actually gives you a numbered read-out of the "signature" of a motor while running.
    This "signature" can be compared to other like motors or compressors and a pattern can be established for a history.

It seems to me, with a tool like the 1000, a tech familiar with the units he is working on and also comfortable with this tool ... they could easily pick out a compressor in a motor room and know which one has a bad valve in it's valveplate.
    How many guys besides Dave and Icemeister can do THAT today?

Personally, I only met one man who ever did that. And he's gone now.

Hmmm ... I wonder how this tool will be on contactors? Listening in to the hum of one that is burnt and another which is fine.

It's been said many times over that when a case isnt feeding, you pump it down and check the inlet screen in the TXV.
    Well ... unless that screen is 100 % pluged, there should still be something passing thru it. Something, no matter how miniscule ... will produce some sort of sound while passing gas. (I know I make a sound .. however little, whenever I pass gas).

R-12;
    I would love to hear if you try to use it for leaks?
    That model is one thats available to me in my area. The other unit that I'm looking at is the Inficon Whisper. Would love to have some in-sight.

Please, keep up posted.

Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Not all ultrasonics created equal

Originally posted by bb
    There's a guy at work that can hear better than the US . They have only been usefull for larger leaks when the area is contaminated with freon , in my experience.

Just as there are good, poor and bad electronic refrigerant leak detectors the same can be said for ultrasonic detectors. Do the research before you purchase one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast