+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Ultra-Sonic users? For leaks

Post Likes

Question

I have been searching for the Holy Grail in leak detectors.
    I believe there is no single, sure fire item. I have seen soap fail, I have even seen a condenser (small one)cut out and pressured up to 200 psi and dropped in water, not leak at that time. Dyes and electronic detectors have missed at times also.
    So, I am looking at adding an ultra-sonic to my bag of tricks.

What brands do some of you use? and why?

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Post Likes
    Some years ago I borrowed an ultrasonic from a co-worker. I found the leak within minutes after my soap and sniffer failed to do the trick. I bought one the next day. Now most of our techs either have one or want one. I have the
    AccuTrak VPE and highly recommend it. I have also used the one that Amprobe makes but didn't like it as much as the AccuTrak.

Post Likes
    This is really odd. I've heard people here saying they found leaks with ultrasonics, but I've got one laying out in the garage, and it wouldn't find a leak even if my dog peed on it.

Is there some special, magical technique to using one?

Post Likes
    There's a guy at work that can hear better than the US . They have only been usefull for larger leaks when the area is contaminated with freon , in my experience.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by midhvac
    This is really odd. I've heard people here saying they found leaks with ultrasonics, but I've got one laying out in the garage, and it wouldn't find a leak even if my dog peed on it.

Is there some special, magical technique to using one?
    I have the same question.

What has been effective is isolating the lineset/evaportator from the condenser then jacking the lineset/evap with nitro and watch for a pressure drop if you don't hear it hissing.

Post Likes
    I would give the ultra sonic only one thumb up. It tends to miss leaks on welds but finds them on fittings if the leak is large enough. One thing good about the ultasonic is that they are FUN to use. It was a great little toy. Just put on the headset and walk around with the probe. Makes the customer think you are really hitech.

7. Likes Dogbones liked this post.
    Post Likes

Thumbs up UltraSonic Huh?

I got mine about a year and a half ago and it is my goto leak searching tool. I have found leaks that other methods have missed. I have also had a few I couldn't find with it but, wind will cause trouble with an ultrasonic. The biggest thing you must do when using one is learn what to listen to. I have found leaks that have made some rather peculiar sounds. If I was listening for just a "hiss" of escaping gas, I'd never have found several of the leaks I was looking for.
    I've let some of our apprentices use it to search for leaks when they are training with me and they all grab it first when they know we're leak searching, even though I also have nitrogen and soapy stuff, an electronic "sniffer" and a halide torch. It's the first thing anyone grabs for leak looking.
    I've recommended one of these to all the techs where I work and to the bosses if they should find it in their hearts to get one for the techs.
    I have a kit by AMPROBE that has the detector and headset, a parabolic dish, a snoot and tube and a transmitter for use in tanks and large, enclosed areas. It was sorta pricey but, It's made up for its cost quickly.
    If you decide to invest in one, take the time to learn how to use it properly and effectively. You'll not regret it!

Post Likes
    These responses shock me.

I continue to be impressed with the performance of the Accutrak. This thing flat works! Everyone that borrows mine ends up buying one or asking for it again.

Post Likes

Tell me ............

more Mr Bassman.

BTW, hows the KTM workin?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Bassman
    These responses shock me.

I continue to be impressed with the performance of the Accutrak. This thing flat works! Everyone that borrows mine ends up buying one or asking for it again.
    How is it around a noisy compressor and fan motor or do you use it with just static pressure?
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes
    I use ultra-sonic, electronic and Blue something for bubble check. Each one has a unique way of finding a leak but not one of them is perfect I have found. But I always end up using bubbles as the final location check.

Ultra can also be use for bearing, vibrations, just about anything that moves. I have also used it in noisy machine rooms looking for pneumatic control leaks in lines and controllers. Works great.

Just not too fun when one of your work buddies taps it with a screw driver.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    Since they only hear ultrasonic sounds everything else is muted. The first time that I used one was on a rooftop with 7 35ton compressors running. The leak was picked up loud and clear. Big Blue enhances the effect. I bought one the next day and use it as my primary leak checker now. It also came with a contact probe to listed to bearings and internals. And since it is ultrasonic you can also use it to check for leaks when under a vacuum.

Post Likes

Re: Tell me ............

Originally posted by poppa
    more Mr Bassman.

The KTM is SWEET! The more miles I get on it the better it runs.

How's the KLX? BTW, I have a shop manual, a new twin air filter and a new spark plug. Spares that were never used and I no longer need. Let me know if you are interested.

Post Likes
    Never tried an ultrasonic, but the next best thing is to shut down the compressor room and listen. Simple but effective, should be done on any maintenance after I "heard" how effective it was at locating leaks in comp. rooms.

Using the Ultra sonic would be logical.
    1. Toggle off systems and let rack pump down to 1 comp.Shut down all compressors.
    2. Wait a few minutes for pressures to balance and quiet down.
    3. Listen for leaks with your own ears then use the ultra sonic to be sure and you,'l likely find any leak there is, just to be sure fire up the H-10 for backup.

Lots of people are scared to shut down a rack but as long as its done right and you do a proper pumpdown and gradual start up!!!!!!!!!!! you should be ok.
    If you just come up and shut off some racks instantly you run the risk of damaging a compressor on startup.
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

Post Likes

Exclamation Leak detectors

I can't believe no one has mentioned the inficon d-tek, which is one of the best.

Post Likes
    Shuttin down and listening will beat any leak detector in the comp room!!!
    Watts New, Ohm My, I been Electrically Commutated. Are U2.

Post Likes

What ever works.

Not a big fan of the ultra sonics, like was said, one thumb up. But I do have one and occasionally use it. I think a mech/tech should have an arsenal of tools, techniques and materials to find leaks. An open mind and willingness to be thorough in leak checking are the best gadgets to have. (If I hear or see one more report of leaking schraeders I may strangle someone.)

Post Likes

Re: What ever works.

Originally posted by Stamas
    Not a big fan of the ultra sonics, like was said, one thumb up. But I do have one and occasionally use it. I think a mech/tech should have an arsenal of tools, techniques and materials to find leaks. An open mind and willingness to be thorough in leak checking are the best gadgets to have.
    That is my point.
    Thanks, Bassman, Delta T, William A. & Stamas. Your replies are what I am looking for.
    I am looking at the Inficon Whisper unit, but will look into the one Bassman stated.

Flangehead, My question was not about the D-Tex (I have a teck-mate and D-tek select)but as I said we will all look for the Holy Grail for ever. Stamas, said it the best in his quote above.

Thank again to all.
    Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Post Likes

Hmm

You're right,

Post Likes

Re: Re: Tell me ............

Originally posted by Bassman
    Originally posted by poppa
    more Mr Bassman.

The KTM is SWEET! The more miles I get on it the better it runs.

How's the KLX? BTW, I have a shop manual, a new twin air filter and a new spark plug. Spares that were never used and I no longer need. Let me know if you are interested.
    I wish I would have known. Two weeks after I laid out $50 for the manual, the kick starter shaft broke. $800 to fix it so I sold it as is-was and bought a new CRF250. It's a nice ride and still under warranty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in