Thread: Iced Condenser

Iced Condenser

Unless its an Air to Air HP, How can your condenser ever ice up...lol Please tell me more...lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/bmarker1.../0/OjLRS-KINk8

Video would not play for me, but in 1980 I had a a/c compresoor and part of suction line with 1" of ice on it on a 85 deg day. Was a precharged system and the disc did not pierce on the suction line casuing a good size restriction and direct expansion took place. Easy find by the Quick Attach fitting at the condenser.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Quote Originally Posted by sapper View Post
    Unless its an Air to Air HP, How can your condenser ever ice up...lol Please tell me more...lol

http://www.youtube.com/user/bmarker1.../0/OjLRS-KINk8
    Check your link...Not sure of the condition you speak of because nothing is presented.
    Never had a condenser ice up on me so I'm curious.

Not sure why it's not working. I clicked on it and it played for me.

Basically it is an introduction to a video series that teaches hvac in 3 courses. I just thought it was funny when he says he will teach you how to diagnose a frozen condenser. Maybe he's talking about the suction line or the compressor. I've seen that before.

I watched the video and the speaker was specific that the condenser was "iced up" I would also bet that the Air to Air Heat pump is what he is talking about. In over 30 years in the trade I have never seen an air conditioning condenser "Iced"

I think he was refering to heat pump. That is the title of the first "training video".

But, in the heating mode (when it could freeze up), it is the evaporator, not the condenser. Referring to it as the outdoor coil would be a bit more professional sounding.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    But, in the heating mode (when it could freeze up), it is the evaporator, not the condenser. Referring to it as the outdoor coil would be a bit more professional sounding.
    Good point Doc.
    Wana be trainers

Am I reading this right, you guys have never seen a condenser ice up ???? I usually get a few calls a year where the condenser is iced up, due to a dirty filter, low on freon etc... I've seen whole compressor, service valves and line set back to the evap coil turn to a block of ice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsons34 View Post
    Am I reading this right, you guys have never seen a condenser ice up ???? I usually get a few calls a year where the condenser is iced up, due to a dirty filter, low on freon etc... I've seen whole compressor, service valves and line set back to the evap coil turn to a block of ice.
    But have you ever seen a outdoor non heat pump a/c condenser ice up the actual coil fins ?

When he (instructor) condensor iced up he never stated heat pump or otherwise.He also only said Condensor iced up he did not say that the coil fins were completely iced up just the condensor and from the service valves inward the unit is referred to as a condensing unit or condensor for short. So therefor if the filter is restricted or very low on refrigerant or if its a split system with the condensing unit on the rooftop(recent commercial call with 3 such cases) and no oil trap in the suction line, it will ice up all the way to and including the compressor. Just my 2 cents worth ...Great,now I'm Broke Again!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsons34 View Post
    Yep! Gross overcharge on a system with low or no indoor air flow will do it too. The guy never says condenser coil, he says condenser. I've seen summertime condenser ice monsters that have pushed out condenser cabinetry.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV