I just bought a used delfield freezer model 6151. thought it was a refrigerator, found out it is not. I need a cooler for flowers and/or catering use. can I change the freezer temp control in it to a refrigerator temp control without problems?

I have changed over a freezer to a cooler before, you will need to have a refer. mechanic do it as it will need a new expansion valve. Also, the defrost timer should be isolated along with the heaters.

Originally posted by jeffcolledge
    I have changed over a freezer to a cooler before, you will need to have a refer. mechanic do it as it will need a new expansion valve. Also, the defrost timer should be isolated along with the heaters.
    And...yes a new temp. control too!

what is the expansion valve? Why does that have to be changed?

Here's A list of problems you will have to address in changing this to a cooler:

1. The temperature control must be changed because it's the wrong temperature range for a cooler.

2. The defrost heaters must be disconnected

3. The evaporator fan must be rewired to run constantly, not through the defrost termination/fan delay klixon

4. Pull the pins out of the defrost timeclock, but don't lose them because you may wish you hadn't later on.

At this point, the freezer (ooops I mean cooler) will run and cool down but with great difficulty. Why? Because the refrigeration system is designed to operate at low temperatures and that is what it's not only trying to do but it's what it's physically limited to do as well. It's not unlike driving with your right foot to the floor and controlling the speed with the brakes. You'll get by for a while, you won't be happy with it and it won't last long like this.

5. Change the condensing unit to a high/medium temp unit, change the metering device (likely a cap tube) and possibly even change the evaporator section as well (although on many of these units the evap is the same for either the freezer or cooler.

At this point, you will wish that you had sold this perfectly good used reach-in freezer when you first realized you had bought the wrong unit.

Caveat Emptor.

Flowers and or catering??????
    Your customers eat the flowers?
    Is there a big call for that these days, I must be out of the loop.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....