+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tips on charging very small systems

Post Likes
    I did a repair on a 134a reachin couple weeks ago.
    Dataplate charge was miniscule, like 11 ozs. It's not
    often I work on really small units so like a dummy I inverted the bottle and filled my hoses and manifold.
    There went 11 ozs. It was then I wondered just how am
    I gonna get exactly 11ozs into the system without wasting that much or more.

What's a good way to do this?

Post Likes

charging cylinders

I have used charging cylinders to charge 4-6 oz in small systems. My old cylinders were calibrated for r12 and 22 so I had to recalibrate them for 134 and other gases using a digital scale.

Post Likes
    I would like to see your manifold. If it holds 11 ounces you must have 20 foot hoses on that thing.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes
    Since you are working with R134A you can vapor charge the system and the amount of refrigerant left in the hoses is negligible even on small systems like this.

Dial-a-Charge? I haven't seen one of those in twenty years! I've been using an electronic flat scale that's good to .5 oz and after nearly 15 years it still works well (unless I get it wet)

For liquid charging small systems, just get your charging hose up to tank pressure with the tank upright, invert the tank and zero out your scale. When you get to the required weight, close off at the tank.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by icemeister
    Since you are working with R134A you can vapor charge the system and the amount of refrigerant left in the hoses is negligible even on small systems like this.

For liquid charging small systems, just get your charging hose up to tank pressure with the tank upright, invert the tank and zero out your scale. When you get to the required weight, close off at the tank.
    Go with what he jus said.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in