Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dothan, Al
    Posts
    3,453

    Example of socialism

    This was sent to me via e-mail. Don't know if any of ya'll have seen this.
    I thought it was pretty funny as well as TRUE.


    Socialism Defined (Good to know since we're headed in this direction).

    An economics professor at Texas Tech said he had never failed a single student before but had, once, failed an entire class.

    That class had insisted that socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer. The professor then said ok, we will have an experiment in this class on socialism. All grades would be averaged and everyone would receive the same grade so no one would fail and no one would receive an A.

    After the first test the grades were averaged and everyone got a B. The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy. But, as the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too; so they studied little. The second test average was a D!
    No one was happy.

    When the 3rd test rolled around the average was an F.

    The scores never increased as bickering, blame, name calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else. All failed, to their great surprise, and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great; but when government takes all the reward away; no one will try or want to succeed.

    Could not be any simpler than that....

    Hope ya'll enjoy,
    Richard
    Lets get H.I.G.H. http://www.theletsgethigh.com
    Honesty, Integrity, Gallantry, Honor

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,275
    They should have wrote the test together.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostie View Post
    They should have wrote the test together.
    Sure that is pure socialism just like leting the workers decide what to do, how to do it and how long to do it. Perfect. Thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Sure that is pure socialism just like leting the workers decide what to do, how to do it and how long to do it. Perfect. Thank you very much.
    To hell with the first amendment eh? I say fire them all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    2,101
    I think that bornrinding's example of socialism is rather an example of communism.
    We have to make sure to distinguish these two animals.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostie View Post
    To hell with the first amendment eh? I say fire them all.
    OK what does that statement have to do with the subject of the thread or of any of the posts? Inquiring minds want to know. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,711
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    I think that bornrinding's example of socialism is rather an example of communism.
    We have to make sure to distinguish these two animals.
    Little difference. Just communism uses a gun and the gulags if you object. Socialism just confiscates your wealth and you are allowed to scream about it without getting shot. Not much difference your screwed either way. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dothan, Al
    Posts
    3,453
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    I think that bornrinding's example of socialism is rather an example of communism.
    We have to make sure to distinguish these two animals.
    sigma,

    I disagree, respectfully of course. Socialism is a concept that communism employs, but communism is much more indepth & includes much more than socialism.
    To me, & I've been wrong before, socialism is simply when you try to make everyone totally equal, in income, expense, living conditions, etc....IOW, taking from the rich & spreading it around for the poor, that way, no ones rich & no ones poor.
    But thats the way we have been going for decades ( as someone said ). We have to work twice as hard & make twice the money so we can ALSO pay for everyone else. Iwouldn't need as much money & therefore would not have to work as hard ( like 2 jobs ) if I wasn't paying for everyone that DOESN'T WANT to work.

    Richard
    Lets get H.I.G.H. http://www.theletsgethigh.com
    Honesty, Integrity, Gallantry, Honor

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    OK what does that statement have to do with the subject of the thread or of any of the posts? Inquiring minds want to know. Thank you, thank you very much
    You are aware of the Constitution of the United States of America?


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Little difference. Just communism uses a gun and the gulags if you object. Socialism just confiscates your wealth and you are allowed to scream about it without getting shot. Not much difference your screwed either way. Thank you very much
    So where are these examples of Socialism that people are talking about? Other than Hutterite communities I know of no real Socialist societies.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,275
    Quote Originally Posted by bornriding View Post
    sigma,

    I disagree, respectfully of course. Socialism is a concept that communism employs, but communism is much more indepth & includes much more than socialism.
    To me, & I've been wrong before, socialism is simply when you try to make everyone totally equal, in income, expense, living conditions, etc....IOW, taking from the rich & spreading it around for the poor, that way, no ones rich & no ones poor.
    But thats the way we have been going for decades ( as someone said ). We have to work twice as hard & make twice the money so we can ALSO pay for everyone else. Iwouldn't need as much money & therefore would not have to work as hard ( like 2 jobs ) if I wasn't paying for everyone that DOESN'T WANT to work.

    Richard
    Wait your the guy who doesn't want to install VS equipment.....because of a socialist attitude in that you do what's best for the community(customers) and not worry about padding your bottom line. Survival of the fittest out there, do what you have to and start stepping on heads.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,247
    Quote Originally Posted by bornriding View Post
    sigma,

    I disagree, respectfully of course. Socialism is a concept that communism employs, but communism is much more indepth & includes much more than socialism.
    To me, & I've been wrong before, socialism is simply when you try to make everyone totally equal, in income, expense, living conditions, etc....IOW, taking from the rich & spreading it around for the poor, that way, no ones rich & no ones poor.
    But thats the way we have been going for decades ( as someone said ). We have to work twice as hard & make twice the money so we can ALSO pay for everyone else. Iwouldn't need as much money & therefore would not have to work as hard ( like 2 jobs ) if I wasn't paying for everyone that DOESN'T WANT to work.

    Richard
    Socialism and communism employs the same economic principals.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by bornriding View Post
    To me, & I've been wrong before, socialism is simply when you try to make everyone totally equal, in income, expense, living conditions, etc....

    Richard
    But life is not simple. Even socialistic societies do not try to make everyone totally equal. Different people have different capabilities.

    On the flip side why does it seem those that are so against any form of social responsibility can only see things as an all or nothing situation?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event