Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    Construction is booming at the housing and business level...All aspects of the trades. Help Wanted signs everywhere. We are just not seeing this problem here. The lower paying jobs are being filled by Mexicans and Puerto Ricans ( legally ,I hope!) because nobody wants to work them.Minimum wage is $8.25 an hour.
    See that and we were all worried,by next year this will all be a bad dream that is forgotten as fast as the time it takes to wake up and put on our under ware
    Last edited by coolperfect; 04-08-2010 at 03:34 PM.

We certainly are not seeing it in Florida. New construction [outside of government] is flat as a board. I personally think it is getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    We certainly are not seeing it in Florida. New construction [outside of government] is flat as a board. I personally think it is getting worse.
    Hopefully things will pick up. Sorry to hear that so many areas of the country are having these issues.

We are usually late to enter recessions and one of the last to leave.

You have to also realize these sales figures are YOY, so they are compared with last Jan-Mar, which followed the dooms days in the markets starting in October. Compare these sales figures with 2000-2007 figures and you can see where their sales are(low).

Quote Originally Posted by Frostie View Post
    You have to also realize these sales figures are YOY, so they are compared with last Jan-Mar, which followed the dooms days in the markets starting in October. Compare these sales figures with 2000-2007 figures and you can see where their sales are(low).
    They are not yoy,wall street does not care about the past.Wall street sets the bar for each quarter.And just as important as part of the report the companies must give an estimate of the next quarter,and full year.and that counts big

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    Things are busy here. We are having to use service techs on the install side due to trying to get installs completed for new construction before occupants move in. I dont know my exact total but I put in at least 50-55 this week, and its only april. Its usually the end of may before its this warm.

The Property managers tell of they have a lot of future stuff "in the pipe", but there is little coming out the end of it yet. The Engineers are also very busy right now so maybe they are backlogged and we'll soon see some projects coming out.
    We have been very patient, not taking projects for little/no margin.

Hard to gauge upstate NY.....we are always economically flat. However, I have seen some new commercial construction happening around me. That looks like a good sign. I still know a few folks who are unemployed, but they are in skilled fields with wage scales slightly or above the minimum wage. Everybody is patiently waiting for the recovery to happen. I hope it is soon.
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    They are not yoy,wall street does not care about the past.Wall street sets the bar for each quarter.And just as important as part of the report the companies must give an estimate of the next quarter,and full year.and that counts big
    The figures they present are YOY. How could they present a percentage of growth if they did not have an original number to compare it to? Sure, Wall Street sets the bar, but they are interested in growth.

The figures they present are YOY. How could they present a percentage of growth if they did not have an original number to compare it to? Sure, Wall Street sets the bar, but they are interested in growth.
    They may give a figure from last year but it dont mean squat. Just like any business here today gone the next,or small today and blowout later.BBBY has not been a good stock for years,it is now at a 52 week high.Wall street was looking for $0.72 a share and I think it came in at $0.86 For the quarter.If BBBY would have reported $0.71 The stock would have droped 10% in a heart beat,and the retail sector with it.Wall street would not care what it did 1,2, or 5 years ago,and the street will hammer that stock until they see a good number.The pros look foward,the amatures look at the past.

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    They may give a figure from last year but it dont mean squat. Just like any business here today gone the next,or small today and blowout later.BBBY has not been a good stock for years,it is now at a 52 week high.Wall street was looking for $0.72 a share and I think it came in at $0.86 For the quarter.If BBBY would have reported $0.71 The stock would have droped 10% in a heart beat,and the retail sector with it.Wall street would not care what it did 1,2, or 5 years ago,and the street will hammer that stock until they see a good number.The pros look foward,the amatures look at the past.
    The pros look very hard at history, market analysis and statisical analysis and these are the primary research tools for anyone with investments and this analysis looks at the past and compares it to the present. In reality the future doesn't mean squat because markets change very quickly these days and if you speculate even a month into any commodity or stock you are likely to be surprised(either much lower or much higher than expected). This is the reason most seasoned traders close their positions on a daily basis, thus hedging against the risk of after market moves.

All in all BBBY is trading higher than it should be, with P/E ratio at 20 it makes you wonder if all Wall Street is nuts these days. No wait, no wondering, Wall Street is nuts these days and a bubble is forming at a time where bonds are not nearly as attractive and people are going to soon want their money equities(kaboom ---splat).

The pros look very hard at history, market analysis and statisical analysis and these are the primary research tools for anyone with investments and this analysis looks at the past and compares it to the present. In reality the future doesn't mean squat because markets change very quickly these days and if you speculate even a month into any commodity or stock you are likely to be surprised(either much lower or much higher than expected). This is the reason most seasoned traders close their positions on a daily basis, thus hedging against the risk of after market moves.

All in all BBBY is trading higher than it should be, with P/E ratio at 20 it makes you wonder if all Wall Street is nuts these days. No wait, no wondering, Wall Street is nuts these days and a bubble is forming at a time where bonds are not nearly as attractive and people are going to soon want their money equities(kaboom ---splat).
    Traders closing positions daily ,I thought that was called taking profits or loss or more important reducing exposiure,that should be done on an on going basics,An example of hedging would be buying a sector ETF and then shorting the worst companys in the sector.I have one now,I am long 35 stocks and own a short S&P ETF.Wall street is also looking at the foward PE of 17 On BBBY The stocks that surpise to the down side most of the time happen bacause the buyer missed something.Now we are talking Market history,analysis,ect.Quite a bit deeper than the YOY of BBBY.I wonder If they study that in the 30 seconds it would take for that stock to tank if they missed the numbers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast