Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,753

    Printer is going to love this!

    http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...try%2F19429151

    Yep, you guys are free-er then us!
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,931
    So that's why printer is all for the U.S. to have socialized health care and a Fascist government; he wants us to drop in the freedom status to make Canada look better.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,753
    I'm starting to wonder if printer is obama!
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Oh, hello. Never noticed you guys there.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,753
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Oh, hello. Never noticed you guys there.
    Yea, it's us. We are the ones right below you. You know, with all the problems, restrictions and less freedoms.

    How much room you got left up there? We may be moving in soon.

    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    S.C.
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if printer is obama!
    I like you.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Come on, we are just talking about one or two points between the US and Canada.

    Scoring high in many of the 10 economic freedoms, Canada performs particularly well in business freedom, financial freedom, property rights, and freedom from corruption. Straightforward regulations facilitate entrepreneurial activity. Overall, regulation is thorough but essentially transparent. A strong rule of law ensures property rights and equitable application of the commercial code. A high level of economic freedom, coupled with a sound and prudent banking sector, has enabled Canada to emerge from the global downturn relatively unscathed.

    Canada’s economic freedom trails the world average only in government spending. Elaborate social and welfare state programs swell overall government expenditures. Government spending has also increased slightly due to implementation of a significant stimulus package. However, good fiscal management and federal budget surpluses have enabled the economy to undertake stimulus measures without undermining fiscal soundness and long-term economic competitiveness.
    http://www.heritage.org/index/Country/Canada

    I hate to say it but, damn this sounds familiar. Not sure where I heard it before though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Losantiville
    Posts
    1,741
    Interesting that the Heritage Foundation found that out of the ten countries with the most economic freedom eight have the dreaded socialized health care. No that wasn't part of the report - you need to research each country yourself - I guess it didn't fit into their philosophy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,753
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Come on, we are just talking about one or two points between the US and Canada.

    http://www.heritage.org/index/Country/Canada

    I hate to say it but, damn this sounds familiar. Not sure where I heard it before though.
    I think obama said that in his presidential speech talking about assimilating Canada into the US.

    Resistance is futile.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,275
    I think it would be a natural progression and increase our competitiveness if Canada, US and Mexico formed into one country or a union of some sort. Cultural differences could easily be maintained, the only thing the US would have to do is convert to the metric system. But really that is long over due anyway. And it would be nice to have the cheap labour of our American neighbours and not have to worry about work visa's etc when you all come here to work our gardens and shovel snow from our walks. Canadians are already buying up all the cheap vacation propertys in Arizona and Florida and the dollars are at par so transistion to the Canadian dollar would go smooth for Americans and Mexicans alike.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostie View Post
    I think it would be a natural progression and increase our competitiveness if Canada, US and Mexico formed into one country or a union of some sort. Cultural differences could easily be maintained, the only thing the US would have to do is convert to the metric system. But really that is long over due anyway. And it would be nice to have the cheap labour of our American neighbours and not have to worry about work visa's etc when you all come here to work our gardens and shovel snow from our walks. Canadians are already buying up all the cheap vacation propertys in Arizona and Florida and the dollars are at par so transistion to the Canadian dollar would go smooth for Americans and Mexicans alike.
    So we spent 10-15 years getting our financial act together and we want to hook up with a country that is going deep into debt and one that is corrupt and may be run by drug gangs soon?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by netsalt View Post
    Interesting that the Heritage Foundation found that out of the ten countries with the most economic freedom eight have the dreaded socialized health care. No that wasn't part of the report - you need to research each country yourself - I guess it didn't fit into their philosophy.
    It was not part of the report? I found it in their summary

    Canada’s economic freedom trails the world average only in government spending. Elaborate social and welfare state programs swell overall government expenditures.
    I easily found references to the dreaded socialized health care in the others.

    It is always interesting comparing apples to oranges, I am sure they did their best to be fair.

    But for example Canada has a lower rating for Government Spending because of its social programs, the main one being health care. Also for their Fiscal Freedom metric the government takes more in tax compared to GDP than the US.

    So the Canadian rate is 33% and the US rate was 28%. So the US has a 5% advantage right? But when you add in the amount US citizens have to pay in health care a year, the amount is 15% of GDP (With the Canadian rate of 10%) the net effect is the two countries look similar.

    Again the numbers are are off a little but close enough for discussion purposes.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    7,753
    Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    So we spent 10-15 years getting our financial act together and we want to hook up with a country that is going deep into debt and one that is corrupt and may be run by drug gangs soon?
    Humm...doesn't make any difference what you guys want up there. We don't get what we want down here. Just wait till Nancy Polisy gets ahold of you guys. You will do what she says. We have been so far.

    As for the drug gangs...they are stating to look good compared to our present leadership across the board.

    I heard on the radio this morning 5 more states are joining in on the health care unconstitutions law suit....have not seen a bit about it on the news though, interestingly enough.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event