What's wrong?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong?

Hybrid View

Natural gas furnace. Carrier 58GP050-2. Second floor apartment. Installed when building was built in 1982.

<P>
    <P>

[Edited by midhvac on 05-21-2004 at 06:26 PM]

lineset touching flue. hose for drain, is singlewall to code? must be apartment, flue comes up from downstairs unit. how many tstat wires does it take? I AM NOT CHANGING THE WATER HEATER
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King! semper fi

Water heater not accessable without removing vent pipe.

No lower combustion & fresh air taken from the living space.

No secondary drain - garden hose not allowed material for main drain.

Front of furnace too close to door.

Stuck blower relay in 022 circuit board.

Filter doesn't fit right in the back, no hold down wire.

"And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Maybe I just can't see it, but where's the gas cutoff valve for the furnace?

The hose for condensate drainage is a joke.

No, I wouldn't touch that water heater, either. Nuh uhh no way fergetaboutit.

I don't know about 1982, but today the International Mechanical Code does not allow common flues for equipment on different floors.
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

Originally posted by Steve Wiggins
    Water heater not accessable without removing vent pipe.

No lower combustion & fresh air taken from the living space.

No secondary drain - garden hose not allowed material for main drain.

Front of furnace too close to door.

Stuck blower relay in 022 circuit board.

Filter doesn't fit right in the back, no hold down wire.

Dang!! You're good!!

The front of the furnace is 2" from the doorway. Should be minimum 6" from front of furnace to combustibles.

1/2" garden hose drain, plugged up.

YES!!! The control board won't bring the blower in in heat mode!! How in the hell did you know that????

The hole cut in the floor box is 26" long, so filter doesn't cover it. The old woman who lived there just laid the filter on top of the hold down wire. I tried putting a filter in but can't get the back end in right, so I'm going to have to redo the hole. Evaporator plugged solid with dirt.

Condensate ran down the back of the heat exchangers and rotted out the back ends of the burners. I took everything out and wirebrushed for an hour.

It was a lot of fun cleaning the evaporator

Wires are laying on the single wall flue.

Real estate job. Sellers agent hired me. Buyer's inspector just said "Clean & service & remove rust. Also said he wants a box built around the type B flue coming up through the floor because it's dangerous. Sellers agent asked him how anyone would be able to get to the water heater with a box there, and to specify why it's dangerous and to cite code, and inspector declined, but insisted it be done. ???

[Edited by midhvac on 05-21-2004 at 08:43 PM]

Backdraft

I bet that water heater's flue backdrafts a lot. Someone mentioned the absence of an air taken from the living space, which means that combustion gas from the furnace could run in a loop through the water heater's flue. Actually, it looks like there's a vent in the top right corner which would help, but I believe another one is needed at the bottom of such an enclosed space.

Even if there was air from the living space, depending on how many other systems are hooked to this flue, and if the flue's exit on the roof is constricted a bit (see other wall of shame post showing that to be the case on another install), the water heater flue could backdraft when all the furnaces are on at the same time.

If there's leakage in the furnace return, that could cause the water heater flue to backdraft as well.

CO detector, anyone?

Is there a section of code which prohibits the exposed b-vent which comes through the floor?

The mechanical inspector wants a wall built around it.

Originally posted by klrogers
    I don't know about 1982, but today the International Mechanical Code does not allow common flues for equipment on different floors.
    The International Fuel Gas Code (also an ICC book) does. Where does the IMC prohibit it?

2000 IMC Section 801.19
    "Common venting systems for appliances located on more than one floor level shall be prohibited, except where all of the appliances served by the common vent are located in rooms or spaces that are accessed only from the outdoors. The appliance enclosures shall not communicate with the occupiable areas of the building."
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Tell the inspector to build a wall around the tail pipe of his car. A kid could burn himself on it you know.

If they are that worried about it just put a lock on the door.

Tell the inspector to build a wall around the tail pipe of his car. A kid could burn himself on it you know.

If they are that worried about it just put a lock on the door.
    I just snapped a piece of 6" single wall around the existing vertical section of 5" double wall. We'll see what he says when he comes back.

At least this way, they can still light the pilot or adjust the temp.

2000 IMC Section 801.19
    "Common venting systems for appliances located on more than one floor level shall be prohibited, except where all of the appliances served by the common vent are located in rooms or spaces that are accessed only from the outdoors. The appliance enclosures shall not communicate with the occupiable areas of the building."
    Thanks for the cite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast