Hyrdroxyl Generators?

Last week I was approached by someone touting the benefits of Hydroxyl Generators. As you might imagine I was a bit skeptical. Here is their website:
    http://www.hgiind.com/index-1.html

Any thoughts?

1. They claim they are natures cleaning agents, however I thought Ozone was natures way of cleaning the atmosphere! I never understood why all naturally occurring gas or elements would be construed as safe for human consumption. That phase alone makes me VERY skeptical. If there are one or more statements that are dubious then I question all of their claims.
    2. Their marketing is fantastic. They kill SARS, E. Colli, everything bad and they have proof.
    3. Many companies have touted this technology, but many of these companies have gone under, or been bought out.
    4. Why not ask Genesis???
    5. The most important question would be, are there any credible white papers on Hydroxyl Generators that are TESTED WITHIN a typical HVAC environment. EPA, universities, or government agencies for example that are not biased.

In a serious note, I can't wait to see the opinions.

tg
    My sentiments exactly.

I am not even sure the chemistry is possible - create Hydroxyl Radicals in any quantities by combining UV and humidity?

It looks like an ozone generator with a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaguy View Post
    1. They claim they are natures cleaning agents, however I thought Ozone was natures way of cleaning the atmosphere! I never understood why all naturally occurring gas or elements would be construed as safe for human consumption. That phase alone makes me VERY skeptical. If there are one or more statements that are dubious then I question all of their claims.
    2. Their marketing is fantastic. They kill SARS, E. Colli, everything bad and they have proof.
    3. Many companies have touted this technology, but many of these companies have gone under, or been bought out.
    4. Why not ask Genesis???
    5. The most important question would be, are there any credible white papers on Hydroxyl Generators that are TESTED WITHIN a typical HVAC environment. EPA, universities, or government agencies for example that are not biased.

In a serious note, I can't wait to see the opinions.

1. I think the hydoxyl generator is just a name marketing what it produces.
    2. Hydroxyl Radicals do not exist with out their energy source. Ie: UV Light
    so they can not exit the unit.
    3. This has the looks and feel of RGI technology that Eco Quest uses. In the
    last 6 months we have seen the market flood with similar configurations.
    Which means 100 nm UV Light activating a doped PCO to produce
    hydrogen peroxide as the cleaning agent.
    4. All of these active technologies most likely work well in a lab setting given
    they have enough time to oxidize for the test. And there is no recharging
    of the surface test area. You notice you never see any raw data of
    single pass reductions in an airstream? Just not real applicable for real
    world applications.
    5. Their equipment manuals hide the PCO so I can't see what technology
    they are using.

All of this is just opinion and conjecture till I see a break down of a unit or how the PCO is configured.

I spoke to a water purification company that touts AOP - Advanced Oxidation Process - yes the same process that RGF Claims they have. I asked them about Hydroxyl radicals in the air and they said they didn't think it was even possible to create hydroxyl radicals on the air and if it was possible they would be very concerned with ozone.

You need to look at the raw components of the system - is it a PCO mesh, Is there a UV lamp, which nanometer does it produce it's spectrum at, etc. This will tell you what actually is released into the air.