Does anyone know of a way to check charcoal filter pellets? I've heard that you can weigh it and if it has doubled in weight then you need to change it.
    Thank you

This sounds like a good way to measure their moisture content. I don't know what kind of filter you are talking about, but I am familiar with how activated charcoal works for absorbing organic compounds. The only likely way you could tell that it is saturated is to take a sample to an analytical chemistry lab. Unless you are doing an industrial process with large quantities of material it would likely be uneconomic to do on a regular basis. You could do it a couple of times and then go to a conservative schedule, but I suspect that would still be pretty costly. This is probably sort of what the filter manufacturer does although it is for the average home and not tailored to yours.

I suppose you could blow some organic solvent (paint thinner or similar) through it and see if you smell it on the exhaust side. Most noses are pretty good detectors until they become desensitized by prolonged exposure.

Just wanted to say thanks for your response Sneezer.