Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    how do you determine the type of refrigerant in a system when there are no markings or indications? i should know this!

by the way it is a walk in cooler with a hermetic.

Get the compressor model number, and call the supply house.

This should get you in the right neighborhood.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

im goiing out tonight no supply houses open toninght. ive been to this restraunt b-4, havent had to work on it prior. but i noticed it wasnt marked. any way isnt there a way to do it with a p-t chart, or are they just too close.

If its not new enough to have 404 or 134 in it pull it out and start all over, then again have already run across more than one new system that someone has dumped something else in.

Do what Cynic said.

A P-T chart dont mean jack when your dealing with a blend which can split on you at the drop of a hat ... literally!
    Fractionization is very real in these "wanna be blends" of today.
    Once there is a little leak, some of the gas leaks out from the chemical make up and all of a sudden you no longer have refrigeration taking place.

According to some sources, some of these blends dont fractionate as bad or as noticebly as others do.

Whatever you choose to do, label what you do for this customer.
    Perhaps the customer knows the name of the last guy out who charged this system. Once you know who it was ... find out which supply house he frequents and inquire with them what his taste in blends is.
    Everyone has their favorite.
    Let's face it, had the service tech been a member od a seasoned service contractor, the tech would certainly have properly labeled this system with refrigerant type and maybe even the date.
    Myself, I label the gas type plus I always date my driers and write my name on them. It's simple and makes a differance.

Talking

use a p/t chart anyway just to see how it comes out...you never know ???
    Da Threadkilla

well im back from the call. it ended up being a problem with the reach in freezer (thraulsen). a couple of months ago i converted this from 404-a to 408-a. her complaint was ice cream melting. ambient is 89 with high humidity. i ended up cleaning the condensor with co2 and chemical cleaner. this thing is in the corner of the basement compressor up on top and a drop ceiling about 4" above it. i removed the ceiling grid above the unit so the air could at least rise into the floor joist. unit cooled down to -9.9 i and she is happy. i told her she needed door gaskets and reg p.m. program. she said ok to both. isnt it easy to get people to realize how important maintenance is when it is this hot out? by the way r-12 the previous co. was a large refrigeration co. in the area who had this account prior. i to am amazed the thraulsen box i talked about above was converted due to mixed refrigerants. i installed new dryers and sight glass. and i even did like you and dated them and labled the refrigerant. tonight i did not even have to put my guages on. i love systems with sight glass.

hello friend; read txv in top and color use manometer nad check pressure on and off and a chart.

could you explain in more detail? i dont quite understand

hello friend; open the evaporator and lock the exp. val. in the top you read 12 404 22 ext .ext.

i thought the expansion valves were multi refrigerant within manufactures guidelines. i have converted systems in the past and not had to touch the txv?? what do you mean exactly?

why change from 404 to 408? and what corrective actions did you take? I am a little lost, but most txv's have the listings on the power head. Something this small, look @ txv, pull refer, and start over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast