Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scotch

My son was in England and he knows I like scotch.

I only used to drink scotch blends, I didn't know about single malts.

He brought me a sampler of 4 or 5 tiny bottles of single malt scotch.

OMG, the first one I tasted was Ardbeg. It had a wonderful favor. I found it smooth going down and then it had a noticable (delightful) secondary "kick".
    It was magical.

I can't explain it, but it ruined the other bottles for me. Maybe it was because it was my first single malt experience but it was surely memorable.

I'm mostly a vodka drinker myself but I do keep a bottle of Pinch on top of the cabinet. That 12 years in the barrel sure does make for a smooth taste.

My coworker brought the brand to my attention. Was at his home for a Christmas get together and he brought out a bottle that was sold to his father in law sometime in the mid 60's. Never had any scotch as smooth as came out of that bottle.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

The first time I tasted scotch I was 19 and just started working at a brewery a few months before. I was told to work at our retail store (Sold beer and took back empties.) for a week. The two guys I worked with have been there for over 10 years and as I was the rookie they said I was to bring in a bottle of scotch on Saturday night.

Being a little full of piss and vinegar back then I did bring in a 26 of Johnnie Walker to their surprise. Well we polished it off with beer chasers. I thought it was not bad stuff.

Not sure what it did to me but since then I have not cared for the stuff, actually I liken the smell to a product called Rubber Dress that was sold at the time and was used to make car tires look new.

Oh well, years latter a cute bartender turned me on to quality tequila. She did the lemon salt thing, I liked it straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    Laphroaig 15 year old is the best I have ever tasted. It goes around $80 a fifth. It is a single malt scotch.

The ten year old is more affordable, but not near as good IMO.

They have older bottlings as well, but they are out of my price league, I have never sampled them.
    Your right about Laphroaig. I was at a Scotch tasting a couple years ago and bought a bottle. The Scotsman giving the tasting suggested when drinking neat to add a teaspoon of water. Had to do with the fusel oils. It did mellow it but I don't know why as there is already water in the scotch.
    Tracers work both ways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12