+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Find the three wrong things

Post Likes
    Between these two pics there are three wrong things. Two are very wrong and the third depends on what you were taught. I took these pics today (5/19).

Post Likes
    I think I see all 3 but want to let less knowledgeable and gifted people than me answer it.

[Edited by James 3528 on 05-19-2004 at 11:37 PM]

Post Likes
    lmtd,
    You are correct on all four. How on earth did I miss the 90 ? Must have been a long day. I have seen so many liquid line driers on discharge lines this year. The site glass always cracks me up. There is a new Trane sitting to the left of this unit that I helped install last year. It'd be nice if this old unit would die soon.

Post Likes
    Yes that was them. But one more. The heater wire nut junction should be under the compressor terminal cover and the wire nuts taped.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by James 3528
    Yes that was them. But one more. The heater wire nut junction should be under the compressor terminal cover and the wire nuts taped.
    Isnt that the thermal overload?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by nascarfool
    lmtd,
    You are correct on all four. How on earth did I miss the 90 ? Must have been a long day. I have seen so many liquid line driers on discharge lines this year. The site glass always cracks me up. There is a new Trane sitting to the left of this unit that I helped install last year. It'd be nice if this old unit would die soon.
    And here I thought that the smaller diameter line was the liquid line, and the larger diameter was supposed to be the gas suction line, so the drier would have been in the right place.

Is the piping diameter wrong too? I must be missing something, but that's OK I'm just a curious HO.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by bryantman
    Seriously? There are no external thermal overloads on anything other than window unit and refrigerator compressors. NOTICE: There are solid core driers that are designed to be installed on the hot gas discharge line. York uses them all the time. Made by Sporlan I believe. Before condemning driers on hot gas lines make sure it isn't one of these models. Of course everyone would recognize a discharge muffler.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Out of all the HACKERY in Arizona I have never seen a site glass on a HOT GAS line. What would you be looking for??? HA HA HA. Priceless.

What's more amazing, is that you said you have seen MANY that way. That tech must have ran lose a long time before someone saw and corrected him. If anyone ever has that is!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by HVAC Pro
    Seriously? There are no external thermal overloads on anything other than window unit and refrigerator compressors. NOTICE: There are solid core driers that are designed to be installed on the hot gas discharge line. York uses them all the time. Made by Sporlan I believe. Before condemning driers on hot gas lines make sure it isn't one of these models. Of course everyone would recognize a discharge muffler.
    Did you forget the old scroll's with thermal overload on the top that always leak.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by pmeunier
    lmtd,
    And here I thought that the smaller diameter line was the liquid line, and the larger diameter was supposed to be the gas suction line, so the drier would have been in the right place.

Is the piping diameter wrong too? I must be missing something, but that's OK I'm just a curious HO.
    That filter-drier is not on the liquid line, it's on the discharge line of the compressor.

The small line doesn't become the "liquid" line until it reaches a point where all refrigerant would have been condensed into a liquid. It's a high pressure vapor at the point where that is installed.

This can be horrible, or not really all that bad.

It's a Sporlan drier, and some ice machine manufacturers used to put them on the discharge line.

What would make it real bad would be if the filter-drier clogged, and there was no high pressure switch on the compressor. (which I don't see there) Could turn the whole system into an irreparable mess. A veritable superfund site inside the pipes.

Post Likes

BTW.

That's some snazzyass discharge line piping!

45's, Street 45's, Short turn 90s, sweeping bent copper barely straightened as it came off the roll, 95-5 or Aqua-pura? We'll probably never know. (Maybe Dutch-boy solder???)

The blackened moisture indicator indicates excessive heat, but I'll bet it wasn't from the soldering process.

Gee, I wonder if they ever got that sightglass to clear?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by condenseddave
    Originally posted by pmeunier
    lmtd,

That filter-drier is not on the liquid line, it's on the discharge line of the compressor.

The small line doesn't become the "liquid" line until it reaches a point where all refrigerant would have been condensed into a liquid. It's a high pressure vapor at the point where that is installed.
    <snip>
    I see, the condenser coil turns the gas into liquid (it condenses! LOL) and the filter would have been OK *after* the condensing coil. It makes sense now, thanks!

Post Likes
    Took one look at those pics and crap, there goes another keyboard! ROFL!

Let me guess...this unit is a no-cool call because, oh, maybe because the drier in the discharge line shot its guts all over the system by now?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by karsthuntr
    Originally posted by HVAC Pro
    Did you forget the old scroll's with thermal overload on the top that always leak.
    Yes I did forget them sort of... I didn't really think of them as overloads though. More of a PITA!
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Post Likes
    The hot gas filter and oil migration glass are upside down.

They spelled oyl wrong

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in