Thread: Parts ID Please

Post Likes
    Great site everyone. I am a homeowner and not going to do my own system but have looked over this site and there is soooo much great info here for the homeowner and the pro alike.

My water source heat pump is getting replaced and there is a part that I am not familiar with and hoped that you guys could help me out ? There is an inline Blue White flowmeter and another part that is right below it. This part has an adjustment type knob that I am thinking helps adjust the water flow but am not really sure. It also has two wires going to it and I am not sure what this part is. Do any of you know what it is ? The reason that I am asking is that I want to replace both these parts with new parts since they are 20 years old like the heat pump. I am sure that there is a way to attach a picture so if you need it, let me know and I'll figure it out.

Sorry for the long winded description.

Thanks for any help that you can offer for this issue.

Frank

Post Likes
    Just tell your contractor that you want them replaced.

If he doesn't know what they are, then your using the wrong contractor.

Post Likes
    yeah what he said
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    You guys are pretty paranoid that a homeowner is going to take work from you huh ? I have no desire to do it myself, I was just curious and wanted to know what is being replaced and what it does. That way, I can research it on the internet and be more knowledgeable in the future. I am an IT Manager and if asked would not decline info from a user because I am not a smarta$$. Anyway, my AC friend told me last night.

Post Likes
    paranioa means destroya

Post Likes
    Originally posted by fcarruth
    You guys are pretty paranoid that a homeowner is going to take work from you huh ? I have no desire to do it myself, I was just curious and wanted to know what is being replaced and what it does. That way, I can research it on the internet and be more knowledgeable in the future. I am an IT Manager and if asked would not decline info from a user because I am not a smarta$$. Anyway, my AC friend told me last night.
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????
    It seems that you got a pretty straight answer. Don't be a stool head. Try climate masters web site they are the best as far as geo-thermal is concerned.

By the way, my computer won't download any windows updates. I can't get a link on web-sites or e-mails. I converted to windows me from 98 (big mistake)can you tell me what's wrong with it and how to fix it?
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Post Likes
    Millerman Change to windows XP. much better operating system.

Post Likes
    Like I said before, I have no intention on doing work myself. My friend, who happens to have been in the hvac field for almost 30 years is going to do it when the new unit arrives. I had a local hvac outfit come out and charge me $154.00 for adding a little freon. They told me that the water coil on my water source heat pump was leaking and that this charge may fix it 6 months or may not last through the weekend. Well, it lasted 2 more days and now we have no heat / cool. They quoted me a price of $4750. for a new 3 ton unit. My friend said that that was outrageous. I searched the internet and found the EXACT unit for $1955. plus $163. shipping to my door. Why is this company making more $$ than the unit costs ? My friend said that it will be less than a half day job at most.

Also, like pecmsg stated, upgrade to Win 2000 or Xp. MUCH better OS. I give free advice to anyone that asks if I know if because I know that they will end up using me down the road. At least that's my experience over the past 22 years.

Take care and sorry for getting things stirred up. If you read my original post, I did not ask for any step by step instructions or anything like that. I only ask what the device was called so I could learn more about it. The two responses were "Just tell your contractor that you want them replaced." and "yeah what he said"

Frank

Post Likes
    HELP ADVICE NEEDED
    I give free advice to anyone that asks if I know if because I know that they will end up using me down the road. At least that's my experience over the past 22 years.

Has my wife been seeing her old boyfriend she hasn't been home for two weeks? I hope so. Let me know I met a cute lady down at the Wal-Mart, do you see a future for us?

Anxiously awaitng your advice.

Love lorn in Toledo

Post Likes
    Screw you twit face. I can see why your wife has been seen at Wally World eith the old boy friend. Like I said, PARANOIA has set in and A$$holes like you are just par for the course on most sites like this one. Too bad for all the good guys on here that they have to listen to your crap. If you look at the posts on this site, there are way too many negative replies by you and a few others.

AMF

Post Likes
    Your not a very good reader I said I had met a lady at the Wal-Mart and wondered if I had a future with her.

Your the one that said you always give free advice, not me.

Why did your tight a** pay 154.00 if you have an HVAC friend?

You said your having it installed and yet your shopping price on the internet.

Your afarid that the HVAC ompany is making too mush money.

Your wanting us to tell you what the company that supposedly was replacing your system should be telling you.

Sounds like to me you and your HVAC friend are going to try and install it yourself.

Must be soemthing in the air, my wife called me and wants to come back home, since you wouldn't help me I called a pyschic hot line and they told me to let her. I think I still might see the lady at the Wal-Mart on the side.

Also the pyschic told me you and your "friend" will screw it up.

This site is not for the faint of heart.

We see through people like you all the time. We occasionally get tricked by professional but your not qualified.

Post Likes
    I basically said that, in my field of computers, I would have no problem what so ever, giving advice. I also told you that I was ordering my hvac unit off the internet because my friend said that he would install it for me since, like I already stated, he has been doing this for 30 years and seems to know what he is doing. The reason that I paid to have it charged is that my friend lives in another city and I wasn't going to make him drive just for a pound of freon. Lastly, I never one time asked you or anyone on this site what I needed to do about my system. All I wanted to know was what the one part was that I couldn't ID myself. Heck, I'm not half assed smart enough to work on something that I am not trained in. My speciality is computers and I work on my own vehicles unless it's major. If someone could have answered my first post, we wouldn't be getting each other bent out of shape. I never meant it that way at all. I asked, what I thought was a very simple question and I got two relatively smart a$$ replies. Read the 2nd and 3rd comment and see if they are not kind of cocky.

Frank

Post Likes
    Their not making more then the unit cost.
    They got to pay their people to put it in.
    They have first year warranty labor to cover.
    They have to pay to have some one on call 24/7.
    I have no doubt your friend knows what he is doing mechanically, but he doesn't know sqat about biz.

If the new unit breaks down on thankgiving day, or christmas, is your friend going to come over to look at it, that same day?

This is what you were being charged for.

Good Luck with your system.

Post Likes
    fcarruth
    how ever you are getting this unit and you friend with thirty years in the trade doing it
    at least you being responsible to the enviorment by repalcing that unit
    water sorce with refrigerant leaks can contaminate the water and go back into the ground and cause more problems
    once a unit like yours leaks it should be repaired before adding freon or just replaced
    in this case that is my top concern
    the part you discribed sounded like some type of filter set up or flo control

Post Likes
    open loop it's a valve to shut off the water when the unit shut off.

Post Likes
    Thanks tinknocker and hvacman, that's the only info that I wanted initially. I never meant to cause a ruckus but guess I did ? Anyway, the contractor that came out is one of the largest in my city and surrounding area. He was the one that suggested that it needed a charge in the first place. He didn't seem too concerned with the atmosphere because I asked him and he just sort of shrugged.

Oh well, sorry to all for adding to the negativity.

Great informative site !!

Frank

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in