Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shepx2 I'm not as familiar with the puron air handlers as to what blowers are in them.Most puron systems I've installed have the VS motor. If you have paperwork showing a board setup for cfm,ton,heat package,etc... you have a VS motor. Do not set it up.Have contractor back out to do this. Then make sure he checks charge,subcooling,superheat,etc... after setting the board up.

Just did 5 minutes on Google searching, and found this:

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...sfa4b.18.3.pdf

Looks like you have a 3-speed motor, not a VS motor, since you have an "048" size (4T) system. As TopDog stated, the PRO's on this board which "specialize" in Carrier are many, but "Dash", "Hvac r us 2" or "Jrbenny" particularly are specialized and know their stuff. Any or all of them can shed much more light and further recommendations to you on how to set this thing up. From my own personal experience w/a Carrier 58MVP and 38TDB, the initial set-up is not so easy for contractors UNLESS they know EXACTLY what the h&ll they are doing. You are at your limit now, and need to call the install contractor back to set that thing up the way it supposed to be. You should be congratulated for "sensing" that something was amiss...most homeowners don't know what they don't know.

I'm curious as to what your model H.P. is, and whether this is a 2-speed unit. Do you have the model # available? It's not 8pm there yet, so you have some sunlight there still to go check...

Thanks for the info ShortCircuit. Isn't the # I listed before the HP model #? - 38EYG048300

You're absolutely right - my goof. Check out these links:

http://www.commercial.carrier.com/wc...PRD679,00.html

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...928-030103.pdf

http://www.commercial.carrier.com/wc...PRD791,00.html

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr.../38eyg-2si.pdf

Looks like you have a single-stage outdoor unit, w/3-speed indoor fan coil. You seem to have a system "SEER" of between 13 and 14.
    Still need to call out the contractor to set this thing right in totality, and to check pressures too while they are at it. They need to definitely know their stuff, and get into the attic to look at the settings on the fan coil board.

You are going through the roughest part of the year to control humidity. You have high outdoor dew points with relatively low cooling loads. Your a/c operates 10-15 minutes and turns off. To evaluate your fan speed, check the air temperature at the supply grills. Most suggest a 25^F temp. drop, like 75^F at the return and supply of 50^F out. Less than 20^F temp drop shows opportunity to slow the fan and remove more water. More than 25^F may make the ducts sweat in the attic.

I didn't see this thread, we need instant messaging on this website!
    Anyhow the 38EYG is a 12 seer heat pump, Puron.
    The FA4BNF is not a variable speed, and is a R-22 fan coil.
    The contractor should have at least changed the metering device. That fan coil comes with an R-22 piston. If nothing else be sure the piston is removed and install an external TXV kit(Puron).
    Without having a Puron metering device the charge and operation will never be correct. And as already mentioned, confirm proper airflow!

Good luck
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Thanks hvac r us 2,I was suspicious about the indoor unit when I saw the model# but did not want to commit.

Hey HVAC R US, can you give me more specifics on that? The guy who owns this company is apparantly a major @ss, and I want to have whatever info I can to back myself up on this if I need to.

Originally posted by topdog
    Thanks hvac r us 2,I was suspicious about the indoor unit when I saw the model# but did not want to commit.

I know what you mean Dog, I voiced my opinion when I wasn't 100% sure and got my butt handed to me on silver plater by about 12 people! LOL There is always going to be people who never have anything to say, except to point out when you are wrong. Such as life I guess...

Anyhow, in regards to the above mentioned units the big problem is in the metering device. The fan coil is okay ( not the best choice) but it is only rated with a TXV for Puron. You must have a TXV or the operation will never be correct.
    As I mentioned the charge affecting the refrigerant flow will always be off. Without proper flow you will not be able to cool or dehumidify properly. This would be the first thing I would check followed by airflow. And if the unit is in the attic be sure ductwork is sealed and insulated properly.

Good luck

hvac r us 2 you did say that this was an add on and it is an external txv,outside of the cabinet? Which means customer should be able to see it without openning the cabinet.

Good point, yes all TXV kits are external mounted. As you pointed out this can easily be identified. By the way for the homeowner if you do see the TXV it better have a rose color sticker on it, not green!

The "Kits" are externally mounted. However, some coils have factory TXV's installed, and they are installed internally to the case, such as the carrier CK5Px. So, visual inspection is not necessarily 100% proof of a TXV or not. You still need to know which manufacturers install TXV's internally to their packaged coils...

Originally posted by Short Circuit
    The "Kits" are externally mounted. However, some coils have factory TXV's installed, and they are installed internally to the case, such as the carrier CK5Px. So, visual inspection is not necessarily 100% proof of a TXV or not. You still need to know which manufacturers install TXV's internally to their packaged coils...

You are right, however his model fan coil is designed with a piston from the factory.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast