Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I just moved in to a brand new house, which has a Carrier Heat pump installed, and it seems too humid in here. I have a humidity sensor, and it seems to stay between 60-64%. I know that this sensor may be off, but in my old house it never went above 52%, and I was in an area with even more humidity. (Mississippi)
    I called the company who installed it, (they do all the A/C setups for this development), and the guy who came by really didn't seem to have an answer for me. He reset the thermostat, and said to see if it works any better.
    Any thoughts on what to do from here? I just can't seem to feel comfortable; 77 degrees in our old house felt great.
    I need to have it at 74 in this one, and when it turns on to go to 73, it feels too cold after a while.
    The house is 1914 sq ft, and the unit is a 4-ton model, with the air handler in the attic. This is my first experience with a heat pump. Should I still be able to have the same amount of humidity control as I did with my old gas furnace - A/C setup?

Yes you should expect the heatpump to cool and remove humidity as well as an air conditioner. 1914 square feet with a 4 ton unit does not sound out of the normal.Is this a variable speed indoor unit?What's the model#s indoor and outdoor units?

The model # of the outdoor unit is 38EYG048300. I can't get into the attic right now, due to boxes, to check the air handler's #, but I am sure it is not a variable speed unit; it's always at full blast when it's on.
    I would have had a variable speed unit installed if I could have; the house was already to sheetrock stage when I bought it. The original buyer backed out, and only opted for the basic system. (Although it is a Puron system)

U might want to try to slow down indoor blower speed. Units might not be running long enough to properly remove humidity

Carrier 4 ton OK,now maybe we're getting heat infiltrating the duct in attic.Are you fully moved in and living in a normal routine? If not wait until you are fully unpacked and not openning and closing doors to allow the system to work under a normal load.

We had our stuff moved in on the 8th, and haven't had any doors open except to enter/exit since then. The humidity has only dropped 2 degrees since I unpacked my sensor. The house is very well insulated; the unit was turned off until 2 days before we got the keys, and it was only 76 in here, with it being 88 degrees those few days. Also, I have noticed that the unit doesn't come on at night at all, and the humidity level only goes up maybe 2 degrees overnight.

I think that "justwarmingup" has the right first step for you. If you have a 4T system, ensure your system is not putting out more than 1400cfm. If by chance it is set for 1600cfm (or more), take it down to 1400. It's possible that they installed the system at it's default cfm, which means an assumption of 5T, or between 1750cfm-2000cfm. Did the guy check this for you, or did he just look at your thermostat?

After you confirm all the above, wait a few days for it and your new home to settle-in further. With your move-in, new paint, and new other things going on, equalibrium in your home may be off.

He needs to move boxes to get to the indoor unit and then we can determine if he has a V/S motor.

Ok, I got up in the attic. The model of the Air Handler is FA4BNF048. Is it normal for it to be hung from the Roof?

ShortCircuit, the guy just looked at the thermostat. He didn't even go up into the attic. He seemed pretty clueless. I am just a H.O., so I would have them adjust it if needed, especially since they are supposed to warranty it for 2 years. But I can check it if you tell me what to look for.

The board for blower operation is inside this unit and it is a VS. Make sure board is set up properly.As Short Circuit and justwarmingup has already posted.You will see better results,probably wasn't done and left at factory default. Puron??? Not so sure if it is a VS motor in the air handler maybe dash or hvac r us 2 or jrbenny will come in. They'll know.

[Edited by topdog on 05-19-2004 at 09:41 PM]

How well is the house built? We size to 95 out but our homes are well built. That would be a 2.5 ton house here just based on sq ft. Seems to me a new home would be well insulated with good windows. Might want to do a very careful load calc and see what it says about sizing. Don't run the blower constantly, leave on auto.

I didn't understand your post Topdog, it seemed like you said it was a VS, then said you weren't sure.
    I'm looking thru the manuals left with the unit, seeing if I can understand the board settings, but I've never done this before.

And if it is a VS system, it always runs at the same speed, which seems like full power?, and it runs at most maybe 10-15 minutes in the heat of the day.
    BAldloonie, the house seems well built; and it seems to be well insulated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast