Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miracle?

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    So, you just feel that you have the right to make up meanings of words despite my posting them for you to educate yourself with. How perfectly pompous of you.
    Excuse me...where did I post a definition of any word???
    Your definition mostly relates to the religious view of the word 'miracle'. Don't care what it is defined as, IT DON'T EXIST....

Whether an event happens, in your mind, you can conjure up any mathematical equation to keep you from thinking that a miracle, a wonderous thing, has occured. This is what is referred to as justification.
    Thats pretty much it...there is no miracles, only mathematical probabilities, there called 'statistics'.
    As far as God's intervention not making sense to you, what if you were falling off of a cliff within arms reach of people who were not looking at you. If you called for help and get someone's attention, that person can intervene to prevent you from falling to your death. However, if you don't call out for help, you would simply fall to your death. When we pray, God hears us and helps. If you don't pray, you are not calling out and God does not hear you.
    So, your saying that everyone that prays, God lets live??? I think you already know that that is BS....
    Likewise, others can call out for help for someone in need. That is what group prayer is all about.

I have not actually heard of minors dying in mines, but many miners who have died in mines died for whatever of an infinite number of reasons they were meant to die. God answers all earnest and honest prayers. [BSometimes the answer is no. We cannot fathom the reasons for God's actions or lack thereof. [/B]Maybe with those who perish even though they pray not to are simply ready to end their temporary mortal journey.
    standard religious answer to the unknown...
    The other significant thing about faith that those who have lost their faith cannot grasp is that we are not really knowledgeably enough to be able to understand everything that happens. Despite Satan's promise that we would be like God and know what God knows, it is just not so. Our believing that we are intelligent enough to explain all things without including the Creator God into the mix is our biggest downfall.

I believe that the belief in a God or Gods by ALL religions has been & will be the downfall of mankind....
    We may not be intelligent enough to explain ALL things...heck we still believe in an unseen, unheard, ghost, somewhere UP THERE that knows all & just sits back & enjoys the show that we produce, all the while raking in all the aclaim that ya'll bestow upon IT.....

Sorry there Robo, you just ticked me off a little...
    Don't want nobody to believe as I do...
    I WANT ya'll to believe in your God(s) whoever they may be...
    I understand that ya'll HAVE TO to survive in this world.
    I would not have it any other way.

Richard
    Lets get H.I.G.H. http://www.theletsgethigh.com
    Honesty, Integrity, Gallantry, Honor

this religious zealousness is getting out of control.

Over the weekend one of my best friends wife's told me I was going to burn in Hell because I swear and drink (to much apparently) what? Really?

even though I am a good person, I help others and I care for my family, If I swear I'm going to hell

So naturally I couldn't let that go, so I tell this women, that I KNOW FOR A FACT that, not only will I go to heaven, St.Peter will probably open the Pearly Gates and hand me a Capt-N-Coke, put his arms around me and say "Welcome Jeff, You MF'r, party on dude"

the nice Baptist lady was pretty much speechless

She then went on to explain that my spirit is doomed for eternity? I said "well that's interesting, will my existing body KNOW, what happens to my "spirit"

she said NO, I said "then I don't care"

I thought her head was going to explode Its a freaking miracle
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Sorry boots, etymologically speaking, there were no miracles cited in the Bibles. The Aramaic word that is translated into miracle is mopheth, which actually translates to sign, omen, token etc. The Greek words translated as miracle are dunamis and semeion. dunamis is used once by Jesus to denote extreme force, or as the New Testament refers to it as "miraculous power". semeion, like the Aramaic mopheth, again refers to tokens, signs and omens.

No, what we refer to as miracles is a 12th century depiction of things of wonder;
    Its odd that you would use a Catholic definition of miracle. There is hope for you

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10338a.htm

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    Robo? Are you making this up as you go along? LOL
    Only the true parts.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by bornriding View Post
    I believe that the belief in a God or Gods by ALL religions has been & will be the downfall of mankind....
    We may not be intelligent enough to explain ALL things...heck we still believe in an unseen, unheard, ghost, somewhere UP THERE that knows all & just sits back & enjoys the show that we produce, all the while raking in all the aclaim that ya'll bestow upon IT.....

Sorry there Robo, you just ticked me off a little...
    Don't want nobody to believe as I do...
    I WANT ya'll to believe in your God(s) whoever they may be...
    I understand that ya'll HAVE TO to survive in this world.
    I would not have it any other way.

Richard
    I'm sorry that I even have the ability to tick you off. I cannot imagine why the beliefs of another person would bother someone who has lost their faith so much. Strictly as a suggestion with absolutely no authority or piouty, I would strongly consider why the faith of others bothers you so much. Just what is it that is causing you to have so much disdain toward the beliefs of others when you claim you don't believe that what we believe in even exists? Isn't this akin to hating a child's imaginary playmate?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    this religious zealousness is getting out of control.

Over the weekend one of my best friends wife's told me I was going to burn in Hell because I swear and drink (to much apparently) what? Really?

even though I am a good person, I help others and I care for my family, If I swear I'm going to hell

So naturally I couldn't let that go, so I tell this women, that I KNOW FOR A FACT that, not only will I go to heaven, St.Peter will probably open the Pearly Gates and hand me a Capt-N-Coke, put his arms around me and say "Welcome Jeff, You MF'r, party on dude"

the nice Baptist lady was pretty much speechless

She then went on to explain that my spirit is doomed for eternity? I said "well that's interesting, will my existing body KNOW, what happens to my "spirit"

she said NO, I said "then I don't care"

I thought her head was going to explode Its a freaking miracle
    To those types of people, I like to point out some of scriptures characters who are most loved by God; Moses the murderer, David, who had a man killed so he could take that man's wife, Solomon who defied God's will by marrying a bunch of Pagan women, Noah the drunkard, Lot the incestual and so on and so on. Every sin possible is noted in scripture and has been performed by someone that God loved.

However, Jesus was quite put off by the pious atitude that He encountered. Maybe this lady thinks of herself as one of the Pharisee.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Its odd that you would use a Catholic definition of miracle. There is hope for you

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10338a.htm
    I used Miriam Webster's definition, but there is a lot that the Catholic's get right too. It is the wrongs of the RCC that should be bothersome to all of us.

I used Miriam Webster's definition, but there is a lot that the Catholic's get right too. It is the wrongs of the RCC that should be bothersome to all of us.
    The pope 's done said he was sorry for lots of things. and confessed directly to God

I'm sorry that I even have the ability to tick you off. I cannot imagine why the beliefs of another person would bother someone who has lost their faith so much. Strictly as a suggestion with absolutely no authority or piouty, I would strongly consider why the faith of others bothers you so much. Just what is it that is causing you to have so much disdain toward the beliefs of others when you claim you don't believe that what we believe in even exists? Isn't this akin to hating a child's imaginary playmate?
    Sorry to deflate you ego balloon there Robo, but yu ticked me off by claiming that I was defining the term miracle, which I was not.
    It was nothing to do with your religious beliefs.
    Look, I was raised as a southern baptist, by a very devout mother ( & not so devout father ). I grew up in the church from birth.... We ate, slept & drank religion.
    For about 20 years, though my logical mind say it can't be so, I fought it & tried to believe...but alas I finally realized that logic had won, religion lost.
    & Robo, I do NOT have any disdain towards the beliefs of others...except maybe ,muslems ( & probably only some of those ).
    My point with your post was simply the use of the term miracle, which today is used for any thing that is slightly good. Such as 20 people die of cancer but 1 survive, so this one is a miracle ?
    Just like the word 'hero', we banter the word around so much, using it for every occasion that it becomes 'normal'...not 'special', & so it is with the word miracle....
    & one other thing...you leave my imaginary friends out of this or I will send 'Harvey' to torture you in the middle of the night by singing Kumbaya while you try to sleep...so there.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    The pope 's done said he was sorry for lots of things. and confessed directly to God
    Empty words while the abuses continue and the guilty are continued to be protected.

Quote Originally Posted by bornriding View Post
    Sorry to deflate you ego balloon there Robo, but yu ticked me off by claiming that I was defining the term miracle, which I was not.
    It was nothing to do with your religious beliefs.
    Look, I was raised as a southern baptist, by a very devout mother ( & not so devout father ). I grew up in the church from birth.... We ate, slept & drank religion.
    For about 20 years, though my logical mind say it can't be so, I fought it & tried to believe...but alas I finally realized that logic had won, religion lost.
    & Robo, I do NOT have any disdain towards the beliefs of others...except maybe ,muslems ( & probably only some of those ).
    My point with your post was simply the use of the term miracle, which today is used for any thing that is slightly good. Such as 20 people die of cancer but 1 survive, so this one is a miracle ?
    Just like the word 'hero', we banter the word around so much, using it for every occasion that it becomes 'normal'...not 'special', & so it is with the word miracle....
    & one other thing...you leave my imaginary friends out of this or I will send 'Harvey' to torture you in the middle of the night by singing Kumbaya while you try to sleep...so there.

Richard
    I did not define the word miracle. I simply posted the actual definition and origin of the word. I'm sorry if you don't want to accept the truth about this word, but by not accepting the facts of the word miracle, you are making up your own definition. Once again, I do not wish to have such control over you as to be the cause of your anger over such a matter as this.

As for your thinking you saw the light about theological faith, to those of us who have not lost our faith, you have simply lost your faith. No one can give you faith, it is already yours for the taking. As for miracles, will you consider it a miracle if you are able to get your faith back? Regaining my faith after many years of denying it was certainly a miracle in my life. That is something that I would hope for even my worst enemies to have. And you are not even an enemy, so I really hope you regain your faith some day.

Holy crap, It will be a Miracle if you guys stopped arguing over BS

The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Holy crap, It will be a Miracle if you guys stopped arguing over BS
    jmac, we're not arguing, we are discussing....

Richard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast