When two cultures collide. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    We do have a bit of an issue with being able to grow enough food or obtain enough potable water for the world's population. Had it not been for the discovery of the technique for manufacturing fixed nitrogen, much of the population at the turn of the 20th century would have starved from a lack of food worldwide.

I'm not saying that we won't find more ways to produce enough food for much more people on the Earth, but there are limits as to how many people the Earth can feed at any given time within our abilities and knowledge.
    Do you know how much farmland has laid fallow for the last 40 or so years because the freakin' US gummint is paying "farmers" to not plant? And potable water is not finite. The Navy gets most of its drinking water for ships from the freakin' ocean.

Cripes-o-mighty!
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

It's not a matter of land, it's a matter of fertilizer. Only because of the invention of machinery that can produce fixed nitrogen from the air have we not been in serious danger of worldwide starvation so far. Now, we are finding that there are many detriments to using so much fixed nitrogen for fertilizing the earth.

Suggested reading; The Alchemy of Air.

As for water purification, it is a lot easier to purify salt water for a shipload of people or even islands of people, but for the melting of the polar ice, less then 1% of the Earth's fresh water is available in liquid form.

I'm not saying we cannot or will not find ways to feed and provide water for the world's increasing population, just that there are consequences to how we have done so thus far.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    Overpopulated? BS! The entire population of the world can fit into 1/3 of the state of SC!

Overpopulated! Pfft!
    I would challenge that they would all fit and survive. I was mainly referring to the fact of natural disasters curbing the population. Resources are drying up.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation

It's not a matter of land, it's a matter of fertilizer. Only because of the invention of machinery that can produce fixed nitrogen from the air have we not been in serious danger of worldwide starvation so far. Now, we are finding that there are many detriments to using so much fixed nitrogen for fertilizing the earth.

Suggested reading; The Alchemy of Air.

As for water purification, it is a lot easier to purify salt water for a shipload of people or even islands of people, but for the melting of the polar ice, less then 1% of the Earth's fresh water is available in liquid form.

I'm not saying we cannot or will not find ways to feed and provide water for the world's increasing population, just that there are consequences to how we have done so thus far.
    It is a well know fact that land needs only 1 year in 7 to lie fallow to be able to support crops. Overpopulation is a liberal mantra...nothing more.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    I would challenge that they would all fit and survive. I was mainly referring to the fact of natural disasters curbing the population. Resources are drying up.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation
    Sheeze, pd. That went right over yer head, dude!

Resources are not drying up. EPA freaks and their ilk are screaming that overpopulation lie and the world is buying it.

Proud member of KA Club

Muslims not making bombs and strapping them onto themselves would definitely be a help in stopping people from being blown up.
    And them realizing that the one's strapping bombs to them are lying to them about life in the West is good motivation.

Most of the Islamic leaders and political leaders of Islamic countries have been exposed to Western countries by going to schools in Western countries.

You are just making more excuses for a hateful, murdering group of people who know exactly what they want and how they are going to achieve it. To stop people from getting blown up, Muslims simply need to stop detonating bombs. DUH!
    Actually it is more like the people that unleashed a line of thought hostile to the West thought they could use people for their own political purposes. Funny how sometimes the reigns slip through your fingers and the horse runs away on you.

It is a well know fact that land needs only 1 year in 7 to lie fallow to be able to support crops. Overpopulation is a liberal mantra...nothing more.
    But not with our advanced methods of agriculture. Sure we can put fertilizer on the land to replace what we take out. Nitrogen is a big one that we do but it is becoming more expensive, it and fuel are the biggest cost to farmers.

The one thing that we do add that is harder to come by is phosphorus. The big problem with phosphorus is its solubility and that our supply is being washed into our waterways and ultimately to the ocean. Once it is there it is basically lost to us.

Please boots, before you post anything more that is wrong, please educate yourself a little.

Are you aware that natural fertilizer was so in demand at the end of the 19th Century that there were wars fought over bird crap? Or that the world's running out of natural fertilizer had already begun causing low enough crop yields that some parts of the world were having trouble feeding their people? Do you know that about 30% of the worlds fixed nitrogen is processed in chemical plants?

Here's a little something to get you started on your quest for actually knowing what you are talking about;
    In 1908, the German chemist Fritz Haber discovered how to make ammonia by capturing nitrogen gas from the air. In the process he invented a cheap new source of nitrogen fertilizer, ending our dependence on natural sources, whether biological or geological. Nitrogen fertilizer fixed from the air confounded the mid-century predictions of Paul Ehrlich and others that global famine loomed. Chemical fertilizer today feeds about three billion people.
    http://www.e360.yale.edu/content/feature.msp?id=2207

Resources are not drying up. EPA freaks and their ilk are screaming that overpopulation lie and the world is buying it.
    Then we should be able to stop production of ammoniated fixed nitrogen that is responsible for feeding nearly half of the world's population?

Then we should be able to stop production of ammoniated fixed nitrogen that is responsible for feeding nearly half of the world's population?
    Umm, no. That is sorta my point. The EPA stands in the way of mfg. at every facet.

Proud member of KA Club

Umm, no. That is sorta my point. The EPA stands in the way of mfg. at every facet.
    Manufactured fixed nitrogen has been known to be a problem long before the EPA was formed. Aside from the ability to use it for explosives, it creates problems in our water systems, depleting the amount of food that can be harvested from the water. Just ask any crabman on the Chesapeake Bay.

Every time man comes up with a way to "make things better", we screw something else up worse.

Not over my head and not a lie... Check your facts and get back to me. I agree that the EPA is a BS agency. And Pfft back at ya! In my area crops are being dozed over to make room for housing communities. What was once corn fields are houses.... Guess they'll have nice lawns.

Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    Not over my head and not a lie... Check your facts and get back to me. I agree that the EPA is a BS agency. And Pfft back at ya! In my area crops are being dozed over to make room for housing communities. What was once corn fields are houses.... Guess they'll have nice lawns.
    Lot of our best market garden property beside the rivers have nice riverfront houses.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast