+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My company was sold to the Indians

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    I work as a maintenance manager for a pretty nice Hotel. I'm actually kind of new to hotels but running maintenance departments for big properties is all I've ever done. We all had sort of figured out that the property owners were in the process of selling a few months ago but didn't know too many details. Found out a week ago that an Indian guy had bought us. We all started to panic.

I had the first opportunity to sit down with the new owners today and talk about my department and my role. It's not looking good for me.

I was hired because the last guy used outside contractors for everything. They wanted to take practically everything house...I can do that and in exchange they were paying me pretty good. We do salary surveys with other area hotels and I'm 15K above the average and 9K above the next highest paid. All I heard today was how we don't like to spend money. Now, everytime I place an order, I'm ask for free shipping or negotiate a better deal. I was told that I can't place any orders unless I can get the sellers to drop the price by at least 10%. We're doing some work on a few rooms and have a few rooms out of order each day. No more. Now we sell the rooms even if they're in the middle of repairs.

I had to duct tape (I'm ashamed) PTACS into sleaves that didn't fit tonight so we can sell these rooms (New sleaves haven't arrived yet.) I'm not an econo-lodge but the new owner owns a few. I work for one of the nation's top chains. I'm really depressed over the new "standards".

I wanted to discuss preventative maintenance and how he's handling it at his other properties and pulled out my PM program to show him what we're doing. "If your department has time to do all of this extra work, we'll have to start looking at maintenance hours." he said.

The worst was when he offered to have his "guy" from the econo-lodge come by and try to fix some of the broken AC's in our AC boneyard. These are ones that I've deamed to be beyond repair. I told him that I was pretty sure they weren't worth fixing. "He's pretty good at tinkering with this stuff." he told me.

Nooooooooooo!
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Post Likes
    Sounds like the handwritings on the wall.
    These cheap bas***ds are'nt worth working for.
    I'd start looking for a new gig.
    Even if you stay it sounds like they're setting you up for a major pay cut.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes
    Doesn't sound good. Not good at all. Time to start lookin around for another gig. Working under those conditions will only give you headaches and ulcers. Sorry to hear that your job is being undercut by a cheap skate.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    I agree. Get out fast. Get another job as soon as possible. Your not in their plans..

Post Likes
    And he asked if I had a refrigeration cert. I said I did.

He said that he has one and he lets his maintenance guys at the other hotels use his.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Post Likes
    Originally posted by maintenanceguy
    And he asked if I had a refrigeration cert. I said I did.

He said that he has one and he lets his maintenance guys at the other hotels use his.
    You might want to see what the EPA has to say about that. We all work hard and pay the price of doing our jobs properly and professionally. For this cheap skate to skirt the law is an insult to all who stay within the lines. For you to lose your job and livelyhood is just more insulting in that he will do illegal acts to undercut your pay with unqualified labor. L:et this guy know he's not in Calcutta and he can't just do what he wants. We have a great country here and we ALL must play by the rules for it to work.

[Edited by otto on 05-18-2004 at 10:51 PM]
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    I'd start looking for another job asap. If by some miracle you keep the job, you'll be miserable and always waiting for the axe to fall or a pay cut.

Some of them here are so bad they've been closed down by the city.

Post Likes
    Time to dust off the resume. I have worked for companies that have started down this road. Your boss will never get it. He will spend dollars to save dimes.
    Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Post Likes
    I'll bet his name is Patel .. .. bastards

Post Likes
    native Indians ? or east-indians? as on pakastan or india?
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    If you do have the EPA cert. and your number is on the accounts that you buy your refrigerates from for this company, then if you leave make sure it is removed from these accounts, double check in 30 to 60 days to make sure it was removed.--Just a thought--IMO sounds like a confrontation is your future with the new owners--Good Luck..

Post Likes
    he'll be bringing more ragheads over to slowly replace everyone, I would run now while you can.

Post Likes
    been under similar circumstances, but in Section 8/ low income housing apts. Owners didn't believe in PM or spending money unless they could write it off, specially when it came to major appliances and HVAC. Past regional manager actually wanted me to pull used condensors from unoccupied/down units and reinstall them on rentable units. I was constantly having to repair 18 year old fridges that needed to be replaced.
    Them handing me my walking papers was the best present they could've given me, even though it didn't seem like it at the time.
    I enjoyed the overall scope of my former job but I'll NEVER work for them cheap bastards in section 8 housing again.
    Find a good property management company to work for if you want to stay in the "maintenance" field..

Post Likes
    You are like one of the whores in deadwood.... F---ed!
    Run as fast as you can. I know it may be hard finding the pay and everything else but maybe you will get lucky.

Good luck.

Post Likes
    Hate to hear that Ryan. I know those Indians "The Raghead kind" when they come in the next thing will be every employee will be a raghead. Start now looking for something else and don't look back or you'll turn into a pillar of salt.

Post Likes

Exclamation Yet another good reason for my infamous list!

Originally posted by ME @ http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/newreply.ph...&postid=499807

Ragheads are cheap, and have a tendency to not pay after receiving service. Fact.

I am not politically correct, in fact, I'm often just plain not correct. Fact.

I don't care what others think about my attitude. I am discriminatory. I know and accept that. Big fact.

Here's a little list of businesses that I never conduct business with:
    • Asian groceries.
    • Asian restaurants.
    • Middle Eastern groceries.(Raghead, dothead...)
    • Middle Eastern restaurants.
    • Mediterranean restaurants.
    • Restaurants, of any variety.
    • Establishments that sell alcoholic beverages.
    • Establishments involved in gambling, legal or otherwise.
    • Any establishment that sells gasoline, in conjunction with any of the above listed items.
      • Above list subject to be added to in the future. No deletions will be made.

That's the way it is, I don't need to explain my reasons, but let me state here that my biggest tax problem for the last few years was having no uncollected debt to write off. I like it that way.
    Guess I better add Middle Eastern Hoteliers...

Post Likes

Dont let the door hit ya

in the ass on the way out!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Condenserdaves list is right on target. The only question you have to ask yourself, is whether it's wiser to be politically or *financially* correct.

Post Likes

Political correctness is for wimps

My bottom line is where the buck stops.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes

Re: Yet another good reason for my infamous list!

Originally posted by condenseddave
    Originally posted by ME @ http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/newreply.ph...&postid=499807

Ragheads are cheap, and have a tendency to not pay after receiving service. Fact.

I am not politically correct, in fact, I'm often just plain not correct. Fact.

I don't care what others think about my attitude. I am discriminatory. I know and accept that. Big fact.

Here's a little list of businesses that I never conduct business with:
    • Asian groceries.
    • Asian restaurants.
    • Middle Eastern groceries.(Raghead, dothead...)
    • Middle Eastern restaurants.
    • Mediterranean restaurants.
    • Restaurants, of any variety.
    • Establishments that sell alcoholic beverages.
    • Establishments involved in gambling, legal or otherwise.
    • Any establishment that sells gasoline, in conjunction with any of the above listed items.
      • Above list subject to be added to in the future. No deletions will be made.

That's the way it is, I don't need to explain my reasons, but let me state here that my biggest tax problem for the last few years was having no uncollected debt to write off. I like it that way.
    Guess I better add Middle Eastern Hoteliers...

I agree wholeheartedly,I have wasted too many precious minutes with these customers,So much so that I had to instruct my secretary to flat turn these customers away.
    {scenario}
    Chinese restaurant calls,no cooling.
    Arrive at call,extension ladder to rooftop....
    Visual Inspection,Disconnect burned to hell and back,wiring burned behind breaker in disconnect.
    Visual inspection,breaker in main panel tripped and one leg burned beyond recognition..
    Me to customer,"We will have to replace disconnect,burned breaker and replace burned wiring to get unit operational to check unit status,it will cost $***.00 any other repairs after that will be extra."
    Customer"o.k.,do you take checks?"
    Me,"Yes after all repairs are made"

Repair wiring to get unit operational,tripped breaker.......
    Compressor shorted to ground......oh sheeeaattt.
    I knew right then,i was screwed...
    Needless to say,I never got paid for replacing the disconnect,breaker and wiring.Couldnt even get the diagnostic fee..
    Took it like a man and went home....
    Live and learn...
    DICEMAN was right about that "gut feeling" I am honing this instinct every day.
    If I posted my true feelings about dealing with "certain nationalities" on this site i could probably get in some trouble.
    I am sure there are others who have dealt with these problems and agree with me.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in