+ Reply to Thread

Thread: icemaker does not get out of defrost?

Post Likes
    i had have friend that owns a restuerant . asked me to lookat hie icemaker had been down for awhile , when i got the unit was unplugged , i plugged it and wached it run ,wverything was working fine, infacked it put out a batch of ice cubes! friend was happy that i had fixed his unit, but then i notice the unit never started back up infacked it was in hot gas defrost for more than an hr,i had no shcamitic, i bilieve the unit is monawac something like that , i,m thinking ... timer in the board , ice senser, the compraser, water pump, fan... does not start. unless bin swich is pressed in or out but this only last for about a min, then it goes back in defrost, i could feel the heat,and vaper, but if unplugged it for a day the unit will make anather batch of ice , but same prablom, please help,

Post Likes
    On the older Manitowoc machines, there is a switch that the water curtain hits when the ice drops. That switch will pull the unit out of harvest. If the switch is broken, it won't know when to drop out of harvest. 8I believe that there is also a timer on the board as a back up. I could be wrong on some of the old units.

Finally, if the ice sensor is touching the water, it will make it constantly go into defrost. Get a piece of wood, and prop the ice sensor away from the plate and try that.

Post Likes
    give us a model number. Even if you only get the series part of the numbers, we will have an idea what your looking at.

As the front cover is off, the upper inside left is the area the model number is printed at.

Listing the refrigerant an ice maker runs on is usually good enough today.

It brands the unit into certain age brackets.

There's no way a machine should be in harvest mode for more than ten minutes. Something is broken in a timing circuit for sure.
    But that is just the backup for whenever a system is going into a prolonged harvest. That's where the timer kicks in and either turns the machine OFF, or returns it to FREEZE cycle.

More info to proceed more info

Post Likes
    curtain switch, also acts as the bin switch
    thickness probe, timer adds freeze time(finish time) after the thickness probe has sent a signal that there is ice on the evap.

check to make sure there is no moisture up inside or on the surface of the thickness probe, or if it has short wires that plugs into the upper left corner of the cabinet that there is no moisture where it plugs in. Use a food grade silicon spray and spray the contacts and probe and you'll be sure you don't have a moisture problem, don't use WD40 or the likes.

Post Likes
    Please post the make and model so we can all be singing from the same page of the hymnbook, then we'll fill your life with more icemaker fixit knowledge than you could have ever imagined, (.....and some of it might actually work)

Post Likes
    i'm vwry axcited to hear that someone really wants to hear me. well the m# EYO4O4A & S# 83123201 , AND I GOT the shcamitic today it is hot gas thermo defrost and aging it only makes ice the first time and never aging . thanks aging guy's.

Post Likes
    is the curtain in place? this is the plastic piece that clips in on the top corners and covers the evaporator

Post Likes
    Curtian switch maybe be out of adjustment. Look behind the bulk head for the switch. Bend the little paddle to adjust it.

Or and probally so, the ice thickness probe dirty. Clean or replace it.

Post Likes
    hey. thanks guy's for info, i'm going to look at the machine this afternoon the curtine is crack, but i pushed the swich by hand , does the same thing, but not knowing much about icemachines , how can the probes , thickness, have an affect in this , thers a board,madule, mybe timmer . by the way i'v been in the business for 2 yrs resd,and alittle commecial.

Post Likes

EY0404A Manitowoc from 1983........Wow!

There's an adjustable rod between the water curtain and the bin switch. Adjust that so the switch closes when the water curtain is about 1/2" from fully closed. The switch should open when the curtain clears the water tray by about 1/2" or so. Don't bend the paddle if you can avoid it.

In your first post you said it makes a batch of ice, harvests it and recycles into freeze only to quickly revert back to harvest again. From that description I don't think it's the bin switch since it does go back into freeze. The ice thickness sensor circuit would be what's kicking it back into harvest.

Start by cleaning (or replacing) the ice thickness probe. If the problems persists, isolate the probe at it's bulkhead terminals and work your way back to 20 & 21 on the board to find where the short is. If you pull the connectors off 20 & 21 and it still kicks back to harvest, it's the board.

Go to Manitowoc's site: http://www.manitowocice.com

and download the service book for the E and G Series machines. It all in there.

Post Likes

Re: EY0404A Manitowoc from 1983........Wow!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by icemeister
    [B]Don't bend the paddle if you can avoid it.

yea that was some sorry advice, but that is what I was taught.

Post Likes

ice thickness probe

I have replaced a number of ice thickness probes for this reason. A test might be to unplug on side of the ice thickness probe and see if it doesn't stay in ice making mode.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in