Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TopTech Air Knight or Guardian Air?

I just had my new Bryant Preferred Series Puron 3.5 ton 15 SEER heat pump installed yesterday and it is great. I also had the Bryant Perfect Air Purifier installed and asked that the Guardian Air purifier be installed along with it. Everything looks good and the air smells like walking through a forest after a rain storm but the purifier has the name “TopTech Air Knight” on it instead of “Guardian Air”. Is this the same thing just with a different name from a different vendor? Overall did I make a good purchase and is there anything I should know about this system? Thanks!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Not sure what you have,doesn't sound like an air purifier,can you post a pic?

Top Tech is a new line of things from the Carrier /Bryant distributor here in Florida,the filter cabinet I saw had some issues,but not sure that's the Air Knight, may be something entirely different.

Air Knight

The Air Knight is exactly the same as the RGF Guardian Air unit. It is manufactured by RGF and packaged for Carrier/Total Line. According to RGF there is no difference in the 2 products.

Air Knight vs. Guardian Air

The Air Knight and the Guardian Air, both made by RGF, are the same in that they are both PHI (photo-hydro-ionization) air purifiers. They use UV light, not as a direct contact puifier, but rather as an activator for an advanced oxidizing process that creates hydroperoxides. These are circulated in the environment rather than requiring that microbials actually contact the light or other surface. Their efficiency is much higher than other conventional purifiers, with amazing effectiveness against a variety of microbes and odors, as well as formaldahyde, all without adding ozone to the environment.
    The differences are both in marketing and technically. The Top-Tech Air Knight is only available through Top-Tech distributors in the Carrier Enterprise family. But the technical difference is probably the most important: while the Guardian Air is 120v, the Air Knight is only 24v, making installation a much simpler process.

CE Wayne is correct! The Guardian is also available now in a 24 volt model but the Air Knight includes the 40va low voltage transformer and wire nuts in the box with the unit.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Since my first post on this thread, I have tried both the Air Knight,and the REME from RGF.

Both are excellant at removing odors and VOC's, try them and you'll be selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Since my first post on this thread, I have tried both the Air Knight,and the REME from RGF.

Both are excellant at removing odors and VOC's, try them and you'll be selling them.
    Would you be willing to share your return statistics? I am concerned about all the reported ballast issues etc. Yes, I realize this may be a past issue.

What type of isses have you seen with these units this year?

Thanks a lot.

Air Knight reliability

Acurajeff...reliability is well over 98% based on just under 4000 units. We make sure to avoid any VA draw problems by including a separate transformer in the box which helps ensure our reliability

Quote Originally Posted by AftMktGuy View Post
    Acurajeff...reliability is well over 98% based on just under 4000 units. We make sure to avoid any VA draw problems by including a separate transformer in the box which helps ensure our reliability
    That is good information as I thought we could delete the included transformer and wire directly to the air handler's 24V. It sounds like to ensure reliability, we need to use the included transformer and power with 120VAC instead of wiring to the air handlers's 24V. Is that correct?

That is correct. Most equipment manufacturers would not want you to tap off of their transformer as it has been sized to handle what is neccessary inside their equipment.

There are too many variable that can happen with the timing of equipment and the VA draw that may occur. Variable speebd equipment has different requirements than standard. To avoid any issue and to keep the warranty from being possibly compromised we suggest that that the packed transformer be utilized. Well worth the extra 45 seconds it takes to mount it where needed.

Quote Originally Posted by AftMktGuy View Post
    That is correct. Most equipment manufacturers would not want you to tap off of their transformer as it has been sized to handle what is neccessary inside their equipment.

There are too many variable that can happen with the timing of equipment and the VA draw that may occur. Variable speebd equipment has different requirements than standard. To avoid any issue and to keep the warranty from being possibly compromised we suggest that that the packed transformer be utilized. Well worth the extra 45 seconds it takes to mount it where needed.
    Your insight is greatly appreciated. I initially figured that the upsized XFMR supplied by the Trane Clean Air Effects which replaced the Lennox Signature Series variable speed air handler's XFMR would be okay. It sounds like I need to find 120VAC some where to be safe.

More Guardian Air Questions

1. Is there any affect this may have on you air conditioner's (evaporator coil) drain pan. A lot of lights and oxidizing processes can damage the plastic. This can lead to an expensive a/c repair that can also cause expensive water damage to you furnace. Just like plastic toys and furniture become brittle and break apart, this can happen to your drain pan, fast. Then water from your ac leaks down the front of your furnace.

2. Where does it have to mount? Because, if as in video I saw it mounted down stream on supply side trunk, if it must be there then do you have more that one supply trunk?

The plumun sits on top of furnace and most furnaces are in the middle of house so the supply trunk splits and goes two ways.

3. If you have a variable speed furnace I saw they have a special unit just for those?

4. Can there be any effects from H2O2 on any persons respiratory system or mucus membranes and on fabrics?

The reason is O3 (ozone) works great, but some people can't tolerate it, even at low levels. O3, dumps an O into the VOC's to (oxidize) burn them. This process can also break down fabrics. Now this claims not to be ozone, but it is adding H2 to oxygen molecule. I just would like to know more of how it is getting the H2 to add. Regular air is about 80% hydrogen and 20% oxygen, but how is it done, and what effects can the H2 oxidizing process have would be my question, because in the end it is doing the same thing as O3 just with H2. If none then this could be great.

Smile toptech

do you wire this unit to stay on constatly, or do you add a relay to bring it on when the fan comes on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast